Catastrophic storms

Scarcity of Oreo cookies

Massive flooding of coastal areas

Loss of habitat for polar bears

Schwetty balls

Have I missed anything?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Remember that it's no longer called global warming. It's climate change. Some also just call it weather.

clonefarmer

Apr 16, 2006
So our gov't is predicting massive global warming problems by 2030. I guess that means I'd better start preparing for global cooling instead.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Yeah, you did...

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I know, I just used this quote recently, I'm a recycler - what can I say?

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
But don't worry about it... There's like a 10% chance that we have it all wrong. We shouldn't try to do anything about it until we're certain.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Brought to you by the people who can't even accurately predict what the weather will be like tomorrow! :smile:

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Brought to you by the people who can't even accurately predict what the weather will be like tomorrow! :smile:
If you invest in a diversified portfolio will your assets increase over the next twenty years? Will they be higher tomorrow? Long term trends are more predictable than specific instances.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If you invest in a diversified portfolio will your assets increase over the next twenty years? Will they be higher tomorrow? Long term trends are more predictable than specific instances.

So what you're saying is make hundreds of predictions of what increased CO2 emissions MIGHT cause and one of them is BOUND to be right? Oh yeah, that's DEFINITELY a reason to take the climate change argument seriously... :wacko:

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007

Well, then we best be prepared for an ice age.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan

You can say that because HISTORY supports it.

Nothing in HISTORY supports human-caused global warming.

A better analogy is saying you can predicti what a stock will do during the next thousand years based upon what it did in the last 30 seconds.

Which is what the "man-caused global warming" ahem "scientists" are claiming to be able to predict.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
But don't worry about it... There's like a 10% chance that we have it all wrong. We shouldn't try to do anything about it until we're certain.

Exactly. I don't particularly care if there's global warming or cooling - the point is that we should be taking care of the environment anyway, right? Same answer as every week when one of these threads comes up.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Exactly. I don't particularly care if there's global warming or cooling - the point is that we should be taking care of the environment anyway, right? Same answer as every week when one of these threads comes up.

The question is what is taking care of the environment?

During the 90's everyone was told to stop using paper sacks and move to plastic. Now plastic is worse than paper.

We were told to drink bottled water. Now we find out that the water is actually worse than most tap water and the plastic bottles are bad for the environment.

I think it's pretty safe to say that riding a bike instead of a car is better for the environment but a lot of other things it's still up in the air.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
The question is what is taking care of the environment?

During the 90's everyone was told to stop using paper sacks and move to plastic. Now plastic is worse than paper.

We were told to drink bottled water. Now we find out that the water is actually worse than most tap water and the plastic bottles are bad for the environment.

I think it's pretty safe to say that riding a bike instead of a car is better for the environment but a lot of other things it's still up in the air.

I do agree with you that there are some question marks. Like you said, though - there are some obvious things we can do. Don't pollute drinking water. Recycle as much as you can instead of filling landfills. Reduce smog. Use reusable grocery bags instead paper OR plastic. There are things we all can do - I'm not saying I do all of them, but they are attainable.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA

When you're talking about climate, 20 years IS short term. I think there's way more than a 10% chance that we don't know what we're talking about concerning global warming.

That being said, I am in favor of reasonable measures, such as recycling and conservation, that don't severely impact our productivity or progress.

CloneFan03

Mar 18, 2008
Cedar Falls, IA
this Climate Change (weather) is gonna happen whether or not I take the bus today or drive my 1984 Bronco (dont really have one, but how sweet would that be decked out on Cardinal and gold).

Yes we should try to help the environment for the future. Thank God that Al Gore is riding around in a private jet and a convoy of SUV's to go talk about how we should save our environment.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
When you're talking about climate, 20 years IS short term. I think there's way more than a 10% chance that we don't know what we're talking about concerning global warming.

That being said, I am in favor of reasonable measures, such as recycling and conservation, that don't severely impact our productivity or progress.

That is where I am on the issue. Encourage conservation and recycling, reduce consumption if possible. Use more biodegradable materials. Let the marketplace work, with more people thinking green, there will be more innovations come along. Keep government out of it. Most of the signers of the Kyoto protocol are not even close to meeting its benchmarks, but hey, they can say they signed it.

As a side note, anybody wonder why Al Gore refuses to debate anybody in person about global warming/climate change? If he is so right, wouldn't it be a slam dunk debate? He has been challenged several times and refuses to show up. I think that tells me all I need to know.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006

The 10% I threw out was from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Report, which said we could conclude with 90% confidence that human activities were contributing to global warming.

While Cyclonepride tries to make light of the consequences, his post only reinforces the potentially serious consequences of doing nothing. Just how confident should we have to be before we take the threat seriously? Even if you put the chances at 50/50 or so, if the potential consequences are severe enough that it only makes sense to take action.

Help Support Us

Become a patron