Georgia President calls for CFB playoff

cyclonelifer

Jan 30, 2007
Manchester, England
daveharm.blogspot.com
Football playoff

The President of the University of Georgia has written the President of the NCAA with a proposal to "take back" college football starting in 2010.

His proposal would be an eight team playoff using the four major bowls. If one of the bowls (Rose) doesn't want to participate that's fine, they'd find another bowl (Cotton?) If a team doesn't want to be part of the eight teams because of a commitment to play in another bowl (Pac-10 & Big 10) they'd find a replacement.

His plan would have the schools go back to an 11 game schedule the "minor" bowls wouldn't be affected. The way it sounded the four major bowls would play the week before New Years, the semi-s the week of New Year's, championship the week after that.

Georgia becomes the second school to want a championship playoff, joining Florida from last year. The SEC is leading the way.

What was interesting about the subject was that the NCAA does not recognize a champion in D-1 football. The coaches give a trophy to "symbolically" represent the champion - the NCAA does not.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Agreed. I did not like waiting a week after New Years to see the Championship. All Bowl games should be over on New Years night.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Plus of course Georgia wants a playoff, they would have clobbered every team in the post season and would be national champions this year.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Why is there such a long break between the final regular season games and the bowl games? I realize there are some minor bowls that start early, but if most of them started a week or two after the regular season came to a close, it would prevent the season running into mid jan. Unless they are waiting until finals week is over...

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I agree that CFB should not extend longer than it does. It's CBB season - conference play just getting underway and no need to take away from that.

However, IMO, CFB needs a playoff system. There are many scenarios for this and I'm not going to muddy the waters by making another - but I hope one does get implemented sooner than later.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
And this is the response he'll get from the NCAA:

FallOnDeafEars.gif

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
For the most part, CFB is over at the end of November, and then the teams sit around a month and start playing bowl games at the end of December.

If the FBS teams want to have a tournament, they should start it immediately after conference play ends during the last week of November, and finish it during the second or third week of December, similar to FCS, Div II, and Div III. Then, have the bowl games during the last two weeks of December, finishing on January 1.

Brands' response:
NCAA - National Collegiate Athletic Association

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
ESPN - Georgia president: Schools need to regain control of postseason - College Football

His plan would extend the CFB season two more weeks. IMO, the CFB season is too long already. CFB needs to be finished during the first week in January. It certainly doesn't need to bleed over into the conference basketball season.

First rule should be, you have to win your conference to get into the Championship playoff. 8 teams, BS. The only reason it works in BBall is because you let in so many teams.

It's sour grapes. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The only teams that ever have a legitimate gripe about being left our are those who went undefeated and got left out in favor of teams with one loss or more.

The reason it is so hard to do play-off in college football is that you can't get enough teams in to make it feasable and still have a shot at upsets. 8 Teams? What about the #9 team, or the #7 team that got past over because #1 and #3 were from their same conference and already got in.

It's not that I'm against it at all, it's just that no one will ever be satisfied, someone with a legit shot will always be left out. In a way I understand where Georgia is coming from, they looked good, but, they still lost twice. Same as a lot of other people in the country.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I am just suprised that the NCAA is overlooking one big huge major issue. A college football playoff will generate some huge $$.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't mind the championship game itself being a day or two later. Sets it apart a little bit.

But the full week did suck.

It would be nice if some of the "lesser" bowl games could be earlier and reserve Jan 1 for the BCS games.

Never gonna happen - sponsors would pitch a fit. Which is probably why it is the way it is. Each bowl (sponsor) gets their own night and a captive audience.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
We can only hope. IMO the bowls are good and unique. Bowls provide rewards and enjoyment for the players whereas playoffs add stress and extend the playing season.

Maybe one day you'll convince the majority of us that the Mineke Car Care Bowl, the PappaJohns.com Bowl, and the SmurfTurf Bowl are all good and unique... :nah:

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
I say get rid of the "minor bowls" they're useless, and almost universally horrible games with two teams that nobody outside of their immediate circle cares about. Do away with those and you save a lot of time that can be used for playoff games and still not lengthen the season too much. I'd much rather watch the top 8 or 10 teams or whatever play playoff games then watch Tulsa date rape Bowling Green in a "bowl" game.

cmoneyr

Nov 8, 2006
Ames, Born and Raised
We can only hope. IMO the bowls are good and unique. Bowls provide rewards and enjoyment for the players whereas playoffs add stress and extend the playing season.
Add stress and extend the season? I guess no college football players want to go onto careers in the NFL. To much stress there, and the playoffs and Super Bowl?? To much to handle.

BvK1126

Apr 12, 2007
Denver, CO
And this is the response he'll get from the NCAA:

FallOnDeafEars.gif
I love the pic, but actually, the NCAA isn't who's standing in the way of a playoff. They'd actually be more than happy to run a playoff system for Division I-A football, but the member schools haven't given them that authority. That's one of the reasons that the NCAA changed the names of Division I-A and I-AA to the "Football Bowl Subdivision" and the "Football Championship Subdivision" -- as a subtle jab to Division I-A for not determining its champion through an NCAA-sanctioned tournament. (If you look at the inscription on the trophy awarded to the NCAA Division I FCS champion, it says ""Division I Football Champions" with no reference to "Subdivision" whatsoever.)

The ones who are blocking a playoff are the Big Ten and Pac-10 commissioners, the Rose Bowl committee, and the university presidents who are beholden to the "good old boys" network that still supports the old bowl structure.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Maybe one day you'll convince the majority of us that the Mineke Car Care Bowl, the PappaJohns.com Bowl, and the SmurfTurf Bowl are all good and unique... :nah:

Well I did enjoy my stay at the Insight.com minor bowl. I would have rather been there for a week preparing for one fun bowl game than back here in Ames preparing for a game.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I say get rid of the "minor bowls" they're useless, and almost universally horrible games with two teams that nobody outside of their immediate circle cares about. Do away with those and you save a lot of time that can be used for playoff games and still not lengthen the season too much. I'd much rather watch the top 8 or 10 teams or whatever play playoff games then watch Tulsa date rape Bowling Green in a "bowl" game.

Seriously? No way, That is unless you can get 30 or 40 teams into the playoffs. Would Colorado have had a legit shot at the NC this year? No way, but, who would have thought, dare I say, Hampton. Lesser Bowls may not mean squat to outsiders, but, It's what a lot of kids play for during the year. It's what a lot of fans look forward to going to. Even if you went to 16 teams, that's almost 86% of college football teams that aren't going to be playing for anything during the season. Hell, that leaves about 50% of Division one schools that would be never playing for any post season hope.

The only way I would ever like to see a play off is if they kept the current bowl system somewhat intact. It may not sound like much, but, 6-6 with nothing to play for next year sounds like crap to me. 6-6 and getting to even a junk bowl would mean a lot for the Cyclones next year. I agree, lesser bowls become junk to a certain point, year after year of going 6-6, 7-5, but, just as teams can make a case why they should have played in the NC game, I think a lot of teams can make a case for wanting to play in a lesser bowl. Even though you may not have ever played on a team that had a shot a the NC, you could at least graduate knowing you were champion of something. Even if it was the Blue turf Bowl, you got to go somewhere in December and play football. That means a lot for recruiting too. Just like BBAll, you don't have to win it all to show you get to do something in the post season.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Add stress and extend the season? I guess no college football players want to go onto careers in the NFL. To much stress there, and the playoffs and Super Bowl?? To much to handle.

Like I said it is much more relaxing being in a destination enjoying the place and being rewarded rather than having more weeks added to the schedule.

And just how many guys on a college team get to play in the Pros?

You guys who are playoff supporters answer me this? Would you rather go spend a week in a bowl destination or travel to 3 different places and only spend a day or two there to watch your team?

Just curious because I know I would rather spend 5 days somewhere rather than going somewhere for 2 then packing up and going to the next spot.

And seriously why does everyone dis the Blue Turf so much? I think its pretty cool and from everyone I talked to that played in that Bowl Game they had more fun in Boise than they did in Shreveport.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron