Generator Question

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I've been thinking of buying a generator with all of the weather recently to use to run my fridge, freezer, and to use as a sump pump backup rather than a battery backup. I was looking at a small inverter Honda one. Does anyone have any advice on generators or should I buy a larger one? I like the small inverter ones due to the appeal of using it for tailgating etc.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
One of the small Hondas is going to be on the small side if you want to run all 3 of those simultaneously. If you're willing to run one and a time and rotate them out then you can probably get by with it.

Generally speaking, a generator is one of those things that you are better off going a little too big rather than a little too small.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I've been thinking of buying a generator with all of the weather recently to use to run my fridge, freezer, and to use as a sump pump backup rather than a battery backup. I was looking at a small inverter Honda one. Does anyone have any advice on generators or should I buy a larger one? I like the small inverter ones due to the appeal of using it for tailgating etc.
Be careful when sizing your generator needs. A refrigerator will run on 400 to 700 watts, but the startup wattage requirement is usually about twice the running wattage number. I would suggest using startup wattage as your sizing parameter. If you want to be able to run the fridge, freezer and sump pump at the same time, figure that startup requirements for each and add them. The inverter generators are what you need for sensitive devices like phones and computers.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I have a Honda 2200W quiet generator (exactly like @IcSyU above) I bought for tailgating probably 2010ish. Used it EXTENSIVELY during the derecho in CR - no power for 12 days.

It was fine running the fridge and deep freeze, as well as some fans and such. You have to be a bit careful of motors starting up at once. Theoretically, that take-off surge can be a problem and go over the limit. You could def hear the generator rev when the fridge kicked in.

I think a sump pump would be the same wrt the take-off. So having 3 things all at once, you'd want to manage the take offs carefully somehow. They do make a "soft start" device, which I think is a capacitor-ish thing so the input is steady even when the draw surges. Maybe that's an answer?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I am guessing they might be hard to find if you live in Iowa at the moment. We had gotten one right before derecho 1, and took it 90 miles away for my brother to use as they got snapped up pretty fast in DM area. He hasn’t returned it yet so hopefully he will haul it back if we need it.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I was thinking if I needed to I could just run one thing at a time (say run a freezer for a bit and then un-plug) since it would keep relatively cool for a while once it gets cold).

Reactions: barometriclow

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I have considered a solar generator, even though I currently have a gas powered unit. Anyone have any experience with the solar units yet?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Whatever you do - be ready to have a heart attack if you have Golden Rule or somebody give you an estimate on a whole house unit. We entertained the thought of getting one earlier this year (good thing we didn't because HVAC and other things went to ****) and were set aback by the prices.

Obviously size and capability is the biggest factor. The options for us as presented ranged from $14,000 for something that would keep the fridge, deep freeze, HVAC, and a few things on to $25,000 for a "no change in experience" model.

• Wow
Reactions: nrg4isu

Oldcr

Sep 11, 2015
I have the Generac GP 2500i. I believe that it is similar to the above mentioned Hondas. It works awesome. During the derecho we used it for about 10 hours until power came back on, then it went to a friends house in DSM where it ran 24/7 for about a week. No issues with it at all.

Reactions: aauummm

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Whatever you do - be ready to have a heart attack if you have Golden Rule or somebody give you an estimate on a whole house unit. We entertained the thought of getting one earlier this year (good thing we didn't because HVAC and other things went to ****) and were set aback by the prices.

Obviously size and capability is the biggest factor. The options for us as presented ranged from $14,000 for something that would keep the fridge, deep freeze, HVAC, and a few things on to $25,000 for a "no change in experience" model.
Golden Rule is known to be high priced.

Having recently built and included a 26kW generator, the hardware cost is about $7000 generator and auto transfer switch. From there you have parts and labor for both the electric hook up and then NG or LP hookup. It's not a cheap project but $25k is a shakedown price. LP gas hook up was about 10' run from tank plus a secondary regulator and cost was about $500. I don't have the breakout from electrician as we had the house wiring finish in the same bill but we didn't sniff $25k on it. Local independent, licensed electrician is the way to go.

Edit - just looked at bill again. The labor for the generator plus finish wiring in house (connecting all ceiling lights and wall outlets essentially) was less than $6000. So $25k is outlandish.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu and Jer

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York

Having recently built and included a 26k generator, the hardware cost is about $7000 generator and auto transfer switch. From there you have parts and labor for both the electric hook up and then NG or LP hookup. It's not a cheap project but $25k is a shakedown price. LP gas hook up was about 10' run from tank plus a secondary regulator and cost was about $500. I don't have the breakout from electrician as we had the house wiring finish in the same bill but we didn't sniff $25k on it. Local independent, licensed electrician is the way to go.
We got a whole home generator when we moved to our house about 5 years ago. It has been a great addition and would do it 10/10 times. Been a real life saver. When we got it installed, I think it cost about $6000.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006

Having recently built and included a 26kW generator, the hardware cost is about $7000 generator and auto transfer switch. From there you have parts and labor for both the electric hook up and then NG or LP hookup. It's not a cheap project but $25k is a shakedown price. LP gas hook up was about 10' run from tank plus a secondary regulator and cost was about $500. I don't have the breakout from electrician as we had the house wiring finish in the same bill but we didn't sniff $25k on it. Local independent, licensed electrician is the way to go.

Edit - just looked at bill again. The labor for the generator plus finish wiring in house (connecting all ceiling lights and wall outlets essentially) was less than $6000. So $25k is outlandish.
That's about what we were expecting - maybe 8K tops. Suffice to say we said NO... and maybe laughed when we said it.

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
I installed a whole house one in 2017 and the total was $8000 and install was $4000 since they had to run line from on side of the house to the other due to where my gas line was. That included a 7 yr warranty it is a 16KW Generac and has functioned perfectly the few times I have lost power.

Reactions: Jer and aauummm

wenkeej

Dec 28, 2015
Cambridge
I have a Honda 2200W quiet generator (exactly like @IcSyU above) I bought for tailgating probably 2010ish. Used it EXTENSIVELY during the derecho in CR - no power for 12 days.

It was fine running the fridge and deep freeze, as well as some fans and such. You have to be a bit careful of motors starting up at once. Theoretically, that take-off surge can be a problem and go over the limit. You could def hear the generator rev when the fridge kicked in.

I think a sump pump would be the same wrt the take-off. So having 3 things all at once, you'd want to manage the take offs carefully somehow. They do make a "soft start" device, which I think is a capacitor-ish thing so the input is steady even when the draw surges. Maybe that's an answer?
I have a Ryobi 2300W and did the same thing during the derecho when we without power for a few days. Sump pump always plugged in, fridge and freezer plugged in most of the time with a couple lamps and chargers always plugged in. Even unplugged fridge and freezer and plugged in the hot water heater a couple times to take showers and didn't have any issues.

Thought about upgrading to a ~4000W level inverter so I wouldn't need to bounce around what was plugged in, in the off chance I was without power for few days again, but ultimately didn't want to spend the money to upgrade when what I have worked. And those ~4000W level inverters are twice as big and become a two person move.

Reactions: CascadeClone

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I will also be buying a generator soon :jimlad:

My thought process is I could buy one and use it for tailgating/camping as well. But to get one big enough to power much at home is too big for tailgating. Cost and weight.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
I get deep into researching generators every now and then... and never buy one.

Only reason I want one is in case the power goes out. The power has never been out longer than a couple hours where I live. If it's ever longer than that, I feel like I'm going to have much bigger issues to worry about.

Regardless, I usually come back to thinking this one provides a lot of value for the money: