Generator Question

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Does anyone have experience with the Harbor Freight Predator generators? I am leary about Harbor Freight stuff, hut heard decent things about the generators and can buy a lot bigger inverter one for way cheaper.

I have one. I love it. Mine isn’t the inverter type though.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
My situation is I'm out of the place for 5-6 months per year. I have a relative stop in and check a couple times a month.

My neighbor got a whole house unit a couple years ago. I told him if I'm here and the power goes out I'm plugging an extension cord into his outside plug and running my sump pump.

I plan to get a similar unit just because when I'm not home there is no one who will know that I have an issue and will be able to switch a smaller unit between things. The peace of mind knowing my furnace is powered and the sump pump will be running even if the power is out is a big thing to me.

I have a lot of stuff in my basement.

Side bar: I think every home built with a basement should have an oversized sump pit with pumps set at different heights for a backup. (Or two standard diameter with an interconnected pipe near the top.} They're mechanical devices and will fail. And when they do you don't have time to go find another one and hook it up. Your basement is trash.

People spend 10's of thousands of dollars for their basement and for a few dollars invested at construction they could have a nearly worry free situation with regard to basement flooding.

I guess I've had it happen enough to just be more concerned about basement flooding

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Does anyone have experience with the Harbor Freight Predator generators? I am leary about Harbor Freight stuff, hut heard decent things about the generators and can buy a lot bigger inverter one for way cheaper.

I have one and it works well. I used it for my racing stuff when the hauler generator had to go to the shop.

Old87

Sep 30, 2012
For anyone thinking about getting a backup generator for their home. Please contact an electrician to ensure that you install it correctly and meet all national and local electric codes. Back feeding your house with a portable generator without a transfer switch is extremely dangerous and can potentially electrocute someone working on the power lines trying to restore power to your area. You also run the risk of having an electrical explosion and fire if the power is restored to your house while the generator is connected. If you do it, do it correctly. It’s not worth the risk.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
For anyone thinking about getting a backup generator for their home. Please contact an electrician to ensure that you install it correctly and meet all national and local electric codes. Back feeding your house with a portable generator without a transfer switch is extremely dangerous and can potentially electrocute someone working on the power lines trying to restore power to your area. You also run the risk of having an electrical explosion and fire if the power is restored to your house while the generator is connected. If you do it, do it correctly. It’s not worth the risk.

Portable generator with a generator interlock kit on a meter main combo works too.

Just no suicide cords. It’s scary to see how many people think they actually know what they are doing. Just because you can get it to work, doesn’t mean it’s right.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Sump pumps typically use between 600–1,000 watts while running, but can use between 1,300–2,150 watts when starting. The amount of power a sump pump uses depends on its horsepower. For example, a 1/4 horsepower sump pump can use around 500–600 watts, while a 1 horsepower pump can use around 2,000 watts.
If anyone out there is in the Dewalt battery system, something like this will keep a sump going:

(And this is awesome for tailgating crock pots)

DeWalt-Power-Station-15-93-1486428083.jpg

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
If anyone out there is in the Dewalt battery system, something like this will keep a sump going:

(And this is awesome for tailgating crock pots)

DeWalt-Power-Station-15-93-1486428083.jpg

Honestly, for the price it would cost for everything with this unit and batteries, you could get a decent gas powered inverter.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
My situation is I'm out of the place for 5-6 months per year. I have a relative stop in and check a couple times a month.

My neighbor got a whole house unit a couple years ago. I told him if I'm here and the power goes out I'm plugging an extension cord into his outside plug and running my sump pump.

I plan to get a similar unit just because when I'm not home there is no one who will know that I have an issue and will be able to switch a smaller unit between things. The peace of mind knowing my furnace is powered and the sump pump will be running even if the power is out is a big thing to me.

I have a lot of stuff in my basement.

Side bar: I think every home built with a basement should have an oversized sump pit with pumps set at different heights for a backup. (Or two standard diameter with an interconnected pipe near the top.} They're mechanical devices and will fail. And when they do you don't have time to go find another one and hook it up. You're basement is trash.

People spend 10's of thousands of dollars for their basement and for a few dollars invested at construction they could have a nearly worry free situation with regard to basement flooding.

I guess I've had it happen enough to just be more concerned about basement flooding

I just helped my BIL replace his two aging sump pumps with two new pumps complete with battery backups on both. He's got a water table issue or something because those pumps run 24/7 all year round. He lost power a few months ago for about 3 days and was running a Honda generator on and off to pump out water.

Reactions: MeanDean

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
1716417996100.png
OP - Echo usually has pretty good stuff. This model would give you sufficient output, If you buy it on ECHO DAYS you can get good discount too.

Engine Displacement (cm. cu.) 212
Max Wattage (W) 3,600
Running Wattage (W) 3,000
Running Time 8.5 hrs @ 50% load
Max Amp (A) 30
USB Ports 2
Fuel Tank Capacity (gal) 2.2
Dry Weight (lbs) 107
Warranty 3 year consumer / 90 day commercial
MSRP $1299.99

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
As we continue the descent into a third world, gimmick-based power grid, you owe it to yourself to get a decent generator and have it professionally installed.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
As we continue the descent into a third world, gimmick-based power grid, you owe it to yourself to get a decent generator and have it professionally installed.

As much as I like a good doomsday scare…even the best generator won’t do you much good if it doesn’t have fuel.

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
I bought the Honda EU7000i. I have my own well so I needed the 220v to run the well. I also used it quite a bit tailgating before moving to the RV Village. Its nice and quiet, trouble free, and fuel efficient. If I were to buy a generator for just the rv I would have bought a smaller one that is lighter making easier to load in the truck. If I were to but one for just the house I would have bought a bigger one, had it permanently installed, and run on LP.
Other question to answer is how are you going to connect it to your electrical system at home. There are some ways that work but are not safe. There is also a right way to do it. It is also illegal to run a generator in a way that will back feed the utility, for the safety of the linemen. I had electricians install a transfer switch on my main panel. Cost a little money to have them do it but its works pretty slick.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It's not quite the same, but put solar on the house, and added 10 kWh battery bank as part of it.

Let's just say the natural gas generator options are cheaper by half at the $5-10k range.

But was putting the solar on already, and we have a well, so HAVE to have power to have water. It felt dumb to have solar and then a gas generator. It probably WAS dumb. But here we are.

If I had to do over, I'd get a 2-way EV car charger and then my battery backup would be HUGE and I would still have a useful asset to drive around, as opposed to an expensive battery stuck to my wall doing nothing.
One thing to remember, is if you go LP or NG, you need 2x the power as a gas or diesel one. I don't know why, it is just what is always mentioned. I have a 45kW for a business but was told if it was gas or diesel that I could go 25kW. I chose the LP so I didn't have to worry about the fuel going stale in it.

• Informative
Reactions: CascadeClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
harbor freight is fine if you just avoid the cheap stuff. Everyone wants to buy the low cost stuff and then expect it to perform like the higher end equipment.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Ugh cancel culture is getting carried away :jimlad:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Those looking into generators, I will pull mine out of the shed every other month-ish and fire it up for 10 mins just to make sure its still good.