General (non-ISU) Wrestling Twitter/News Thread

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
I mean should us as Iowa state fans be concerned these type of guys are not coming to Iowa state. I see Larkin committed to ASU. What’s are 2024 class and 2025 class looking like? Just sucks we couldn’t pull the trigger on Deluca Lockett or Larkin? Who are some of the other guys we are in on?

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I mean should us as Iowa state fans be concerned these type of guys are not coming to Iowa state. I see Larkin committed to ASU. What’s are 2024 class and 2025 class looking like? Just sucks we couldn’t pull the trigger on Deluca Lockett or Larkin? Who are some of the other guys we are in on?
Iowa State has just not been able to land the blue chip guys for some reason or another.

However, I’ve learned to not get too worked up about it. Dresser finds a way to make it work. Whether it’s getting Chittum after he grayshirted elsewhere, picking up AAs like Feldkamp in the transfer portal, grabbing some absolute world class Cubans, or identifying under the radar recruits that develop into studs.

I’m sure the staff would love to be getting the blue chippers out of high school, but I believe they’ll continue to find a way to put out an extremely competitive lineup through whatever means necessary.

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
Iowa State has just not been able to land the blue chip guys for some reason or another.

However, I’ve learned to not get too worked up about it. Dresser finds a way to make it work. Whether it’s getting Chittum after he grayshirted elsewhere, picking up AAs like Feldkamp in the transfer portal, grabbing some absolute world class Cubans, or identifying under the radar recruits that develop into studs.

I’m sure the staff would love to be getting the blue chippers out of high school, but I believe they’ll continue to find a way to put out an extremely competitive lineup through whatever means necessary.
Yep. But still just sucks why these guys wouldn’t wanna come to Iowa state. But I do trust the staff. However, it still sucks we can’t land one of these guys

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
2024s class actually looks pretty good with Sawyer Bartelt, Adrian Mesa, and Daniel Herrera. Would’ve been great to get Larkin, but he is an ASU legacy and his brother wrestles there.

2025 is off to a bit of a slower start than I was hoping, but as crab said, I trust the staff and they will find a way to make sure we have a great lineup year after year

Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Yep. But still just sucks why these guys wouldn’t wanna come to Iowa state. But I do trust the staff. However, it still sucks we can’t land one of these guys
I'll grant you that some took more circuitous routes than normal, but Swiderski was #2 overall, Chittum #1 and Carr #5. I don't think Ech was ranked, but he was a double Fargo champ in his only season in the US. Bartlett is currently top 10.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I'll grant you that some took more circuitous routes than normal, but Swiderski was #2 overall, Chittum #1 and Carr #5. I don't think Ech was ranked, but he was a double Fargo champ in his only season in the US. Bartlett is currently top 10.
Swiderski was not nearly that high when we got a commitment from him. His ranking grew tremendously after we already had him. I believe he was 30s/40s prior. Not a knock, I think that shows how good the coaches are at identifying talent.

The only true blue chip that we won a recruiting battle for was Carr.

Reactions: stuclone

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Swiderski was not nearly that high when we got a commitment from him. His ranking grew tremendously after we already had him. I believe he was 30s/40s prior. Not a knock, I think that shows how good the coaches are at identifying talent.

Not going to debate because largely I agree with the point you made above. This staff has been extremely creative in finding talent that Flo/Intermat/etc don't have highly rated and will continue to do so. Larkin would have been a really difficult pull from ASU.

CyCity

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2014
West Des Moines

You’re crazy if you don’t think other people wanted Chittum the second Iowa took the Ferrari clan.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
With the way the transfer portal is and what these blue chips are costing in NIL money, I am ok with waiting for the portal. One of 2 things are going to happen, a college AA is going to enter the portal and this blue chip is going to think he is going to be sitting longer than he wanted to and he enters the portal. So we go after the college AA or we go after the blue chip recruit. There is going to be a lot of movement through the portal in the coming years.

I look at Kennedy. I thought he would be a stud in college and he has now been recruited over with Caliendo and Franek. Of Course the gambling made a mess of that. I am surprised he is staying at Iowa

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
You’re crazy if you don’t think other people wanted Chittum the second Iowa took the Ferrari clan.
Chittum knew exactly what he was doing when he left Iowa. Did he take any other visits? He got in the car and drove up the road. There was not recruiting war.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyCity

Cyclonewrestlingfan2022

May 30, 2023
With the way the transfer portal is and what these blue chips are costing in NIL money, I am ok with waiting for the portal. One of 2 things are going to happen, a college AA is going to enter the portal and this blue chip is going to think he is going to be sitting longer than he wanted to and he enters the portal. So we go after the college AA or we go after the blue chip recruit. There is going to be a lot of movement through the portal in the coming years.

I look at Kennedy. I thought he would be a stud in college and he has now been recruited over with Caliendo and Franek. Of Course the gambling made a mess of that. I am surprised he is staying at Iowa
That’s a great point. Facando and Kennedy come to mind of people I’m shocked they stayed. Still a rising team as Iowa state whose style is so fun to watch you would think we would land 1 blue chip guy a year.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Larkin choosing ASU is like Carr choosing ISU. I'm happy for the positive feedback Larkin is giving our coaches but not surprised or upset that he went with his brother and dad's program.
This. Larkin is getting eyes on his social media and YouTube and he just put the cyclones into his final decision. I never got my hopes high on him with the legacy they have there but it’s a positive sign

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Chittum knew exactly what he was doing when he left Iowa. Did he take any other visits? He got in the car and drove up the road. There was not recruiting war.
Part of the reason he turned to go north to Ames instead of continuing to head east on I-80 is the recruiting job Dresser and Metcalf did with the Chittums not only after the Ferraris chose Iowa, but the relationships they build prior to that

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Part of the reason he turned to go north to Ames instead of continuing to head east on I-80 is the recruiting job Dresser and Metcalf did with the Chittums not only after the Ferraris chose Iowa, but the relationships they build prior to that
We’re in agreement.

What I’m saying is that the staff has not really been able to land the blue chippers out of high school. The recruits that are being sought after by every team in the country. However, they have made up for it by doing a great job getting guys from other situations. Chittum is one of the other situations, not an all out recruiting war for an uncommitted stud. To say otherwise is completely disingenuous.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz and stuclone

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008

I saw a recent quote from Tom or Terry that said they were trying to get Kennedy back down to 165, which makes no sense to me. Does Caliendo then move up to 174? Why? Where does Arnold go?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron