Games of Thrones Book Thread (With Spoilers)

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I am seeing that it will be a possible double release of Winds of Winter and Dreams of Spring in the fall. We will see if that happens.

• Optimistic
Reactions: laminak

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Not that I don't believe you but... link? I'd like to read whatever is floating around out there.

I started the books this May during the HBO season six buzz. I had avoided reading them because I didn't want to get dragged into something that might not get to a resolution.

With apologies to huge fans: I really enjoyed the first 3 books. I didn't mind AFfC, but ADwD validated my original concerns. I am hoping that the last two aren't the derivative ramble that the previous two seemed like.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
If he is waiting to release them both at the same time, but has WoW done, I would be very upset.

But I know GRRM writes chapters and positions them after (usually). So I could see it being because of that.

I just want to be able to read SOMETHING sooN!

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com

He is a genius, and the Song of Ice and Fire is his creation, so I respect his vision and of course his writing. However, he is now set to release a two volume Targaryen history. WTF.

It sounds like 2018 is now even in question for Winds of Winter. That is really disappointing.

I've had the inking he is milking the fame, attention, and money and good for him, but it is getting ridiculous. It feels like he just does not want to finish.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

He is a genius, and the Song of Ice and Fire is his creation, so I respect his vision and of course his writing. However, he is now set to release a two volume Targaryen history. WTF.

It sounds like 2018 is now even in question for Winds of Winter. That is really disappointing.

I've had the inking he is milking the fame, attention, and money and good for him, but it is getting ridiculous. It feels like he just does not want to finish.

Yeah, I really don't understand why he just doesn't work on one thing at a time, in this case WoW.

I've read interviews with him, and he seems like a genuinely cool guy and certainly is very talented, but this is getting ridiculous.

At this point I'll believe it when I see it.

CycloneWarning

Jan 14, 2008
He will never finish. He's lost the story and doesn't even want to. But he won't admit it.

Sadly, I agree. I slogged through AFfC, but never even finished ADwD. The first three books were so good, but he has been going off the rails with all these characters for a while, and not sure he can ever reel it back in.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
God, I hope your wrong. If he doesn't all we will ever have is fan fiction. That's depressing.

I hope so too. But I can't see him finishing another book (or two) after The Winds of Winter, and I am not even very confident he will actually finish Winds.

At least we will get the TV ending. And the TV series has frankly done a better job than Martin post ASOS.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I hope so too. But I can't see him finishing another book (or two) after The Winds of Winter, and I am not even very confident he will actually finish Winds.

At least we will get the TV ending. And the TV series has frankly done a better job than Martin post ASOS.
The one thing people forget is he doesn't write in order. He writes what comes to him and tries to piece the chapters together as they come together, thus having to go back and change little things here and there so the story flows, as well as having his henchmen fact check him constantly to make sure he isn't stepping on his history he has laid out. So, though he may not be done with Winds, that isn't to say he hasn't finished a good chunk of the chapters for ADoS.

I will say, I don't see him finishing any time soon and this news doesn't help any. But thinking he has to write a-whole-nother book after/if he finishes Winds isn't entirely accurate. I think he knows how he wants it to end, and has storylines set up for that ending, I just think the getting the characters there, and inline with everything else, has been far trickier than GRRM initially thought

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
The one thing people forget is he doesn't write in order. He writes what comes to him and tries to piece the chapters together as they come together, thus having to go back and change little things here and there so the story flows, as well as having his henchmen fact check him constantly to make sure he isn't stepping on his history he has laid out. So, though he may not be done with Winds, that isn't to say he hasn't finished a good chunk of the chapters for ADoS.

I will say, I don't see him finishing any time soon and this news doesn't help any. But thinking he has to write a-whole-nother book after/if he finishes Winds isn't entirely accurate. I think he knows how he wants it to end, and has storylines set up for that ending, I just think the getting the characters there, and inline with everything else, has been far trickier than GRRM initially thought

Maybe..... that was the case for AFFC and ADWD because they were written on the same timeline with different characters. That was the case with the Winds mainly because they chopped out the last two hundred pages which really should have been a conclusion of a ADWD storylines (e.g. the Stannis - Bolton battle) and moved them to Winds for space reasons, plus a couple random IronBorn/Dorne chapters. But that makes it even worse! He had 200-300 pages of Winds written before he started, and we are still looking at a 7-8 year timeline to finish the rest of the 4/5 of the book! And it certainly didn't help speed up Dance or Feast either. So your argument that having part of the book done should speed up the process - while it makes sense, it hasn't held true in the past for GRMM. Probably shouldn't count on it.

I think our best hope is that he is stuck with writers block yet again trying to untangle all the pieces (yet another Meereen Knot) and once he gets past that the end game is clear and easier to write. Finally. Wishful thinking but that is all we have in this case.

Hiltonmagk

Apr 11, 2006
Fort Madison, IA
Sigh...I literally just started re-listening to the audiobook series in hopes that when I got to the end that I'd be close to Winds and now I don't even know if I want to do it. This would be my third time through as I did it about a year ago when they thought that Winds would be early 2017. I really like the show but haven't watched this season as I don't want to spoil the book ending. I know they aren't following the same timeline but I still think that the endings will be similar.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Maybe..... that was the case for AFFC and ADWD because they were written on the same timeline with different characters. That was the case with the Winds mainly because they chopped out the last two hundred pages which really should have been a conclusion of a ADWD storylines (e.g. the Stannis - Bolton battle) and moved them to Winds for space reasons, plus a couple random IronBorn/Dorne chapters. But that makes it even worse! He had 200-300 pages of Winds written before he started, and we are still looking at a 7-8 year timeline to finish the rest of the 4/5 of the book! And it certainly didn't help speed up Dance or Feast either. So your argument that having part of the book done should speed up the process - while it makes sense, it hasn't held true in the past for GRMM. Probably shouldn't count on it.

I think our best hope is that he is stuck with writers block yet again trying to untangle all the pieces (yet another Meereen Knot) and once he gets past that the end game is clear and easier to write. Finally. Wishful thinking but that is all we have in this case.
It wasn't meant to be an argument, or to say that he will finish faster due to this writing style. My only real point was that due to this, as you stated in the second paragraph, I think he has a very small portion he is really trying to get finished, and the rest is basically skeleton-ed out and ready to roll. The big kicker is that "4/5ths" could take another 3 years, we don't know. My hope is the same as yours, that once he gets past that knot, the rest of the chapters write themselves essentially

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CloneIce

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Sigh...I literally just started re-listening to the audiobook series in hopes that when I got to the end that I'd be close to Winds and now I don't even know if I want to do it. This would be my third time through as I did it about a year ago when they thought that Winds would be early 2017. I really like the show but haven't watched this season as I don't want to spoil the book ending. I know they aren't following the same timeline but I still think that the endings will be similar.

If I can give you some friendly advice - don't wait on the book ending. Unless you have infinite patience and can wait a decade for something that might not come.

Sorry for the negativity, but I have been waiting on each book for years now. Don't miss out waiting for it.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

Dorne? Ironborn? Stannis?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Dorne? Ironborn? Stannis?

Yes, overall a better job. Not with every single storyline (though I actually think they have done as well or better with the IronBorn) particularly those that had to be cut to avoid what happened to the books (e.g. Dorne). And hell, we don't even know how those storylines will turn out in the book yet. Stannis was my biggest gripe at the end of Season 5.

Books 4 and 5 were unfilmable in their book form. And realistically some of those storylines and new characters that came out of the blue had to be cut. Though I liked them, they had their issues. Particularly 4. 5 was better, except it was missing its ending.