Game of Thrones Season 8

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Am I crazy or is Dany razing King’s Landing analogous to us nuking Japan.
I don’t see a parallel.

King’s landing had been defeated and would’ve continued with their surrender. The Japanese were still fighting tooth and nail in the island hopping campaign and would’ve prolonged the war as long they could. The a-bombs showed the Japanese that their total destruction was assured if they didn’t surrender.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I think a really interesting end to the series at this point would be Dany sitting on the throne...and then there’s an epilogue in Slaver’s Bay with the freed slaves celebrating the razing of King’s Landing.

Like this?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Hey signers , if you pay for HBO rather than mooching off your friend’s HBOGO account maybe you’d have gotten a little more of what you wanted.
HBO wanted d&d to do 10 seasons. They refused. HBO then wanted to have 2 full 10 episode seasons. They also refused.

This wasn't a case of HBO being unwilling to fund the show. This was a cash cow, they would've let it go for a lot longer.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
HBO wanted d&d to do 10 seasons. They refused. HBO then wanted to have 2 full 10 episode seasons. They also refused.

This wasn't a case of HBO being unwilling to fund the show. This was a cash cow, they would've let it go for a lot longer.
Someone on reddit commented (with a lot of upvotes so must be true???) that GRRM wanted the show to be 14 seasons. HBO was willing to go at least 12 seasons. D&D declined and went compressed S7/S8 instead. Why not let D&D walk away and have someone else take over after like S6?

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Someone on reddit commented (with a lot of upvotes so must be true???) that GRRM wanted the show to be 14 seasons. HBO was willing to go at least 12 seasons. D&D declined and went compressed S7/S8 instead. Why not let D&D walk away and have someone else take over after like S6?

They should have because the rushed ending is basically the root cause of the shortcoming of the past two seasons that people are complaining about.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016

On the surface, 14 seasons would be incredible, but also has the potential for disaster. The actors/actresses might have something to say about it too. Either way, truncated 7/8 wasn't the way to go. I think we all agree on that.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don’t see a parallel.

King’s landing had been defeated and would’ve continued with their surrender. The Japanese were still fighting tooth and nail in the island hopping campaign and would’ve prolonged the war as long they could. The a-bombs showed the Japanese that their total destruction was assured if they didn’t surrender.

Actually, the Japanese were trying to arrange a surrender well before we dropped the bomb. They just weren't going for the word "unconditional," but they were done.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
They should have because the rushed ending is basically the root cause of the shortcoming of the past two seasons that people are complaining about.
From what has been said, many of the actors were ready to move on to different projects and were tired of the grueling on location shoots. I agree that everything has been rushed and they should’ve done full 10 episode seasons for the last two but 10-12 seasons is asking way too much. They either would’ve had to recast when some actors walked or paid out unheard of contracts to get them to stay. With 7 additional episodes I think the pace would’ve corrected and some of the character development could’ve been saved.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
On the surface, 14 seasons would be incredible, but also has the potential for disaster. The actors/actresses might have something to say about it too. Either way, truncated 7/8 wasn't the way to go. I think we all agree on that.
I love when shows keep the same actors for their characters throughout a series but I would much rather have a good GoT story with an actor change here and there over what is actually happening.

The Mountain's actor has changed multiple times. So did Beric, Daario, and others. No one complained. The [tv] story started to suck and EVERYONE complained.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
From what has been said, many of the actors were ready to move on to different projects and were tired of the grueling on location shoots. I agree that everything has been rushed and they should’ve done full 10 episode seasons for the last two but 10-12 seasons is asking way too much. They either would’ve had to recast when some actors walked or paid out unheard of contracts to get them to stay. With 7 additional episodes I think the pace would’ve corrected and some of the character development could’ve been saved.

I think that's the key right there. This is an unusually intensive show to shoot and even 10 seasons is an unrealistic ask of the actors, unless it were possible to do the last couple of seasons in one extended shoot. You can conceivably replace the crew or showrunners, but at this late point it's impossible to imagine replacing even a single actor.

I think even a full season 8 or possibly a 9th season would have gone a long way toward assuaging most/all of these complaints. I really believe that for most it isn't the outcome of the story they're bothered by, just the clunky way in which we're arriving at it.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I love when shows keep the same actors for their characters throughout a series but I would much rather have a good GoT story with an actor change here and there over what is actually happening.

The Mountain's actor has changed multiple times. So did Beric, Daario, and others. No one complained. The [tv] story started to suck and EVERYONE complained.

The Mountain doesn't talk. Daario was replaced after his first season. All of the changes have been to very minor characters. If any of the main characters dip out, it would change the feel of the show. And if we've learned anything this season, EVERYONE would complain.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I think that's the key right there. This is an unusually intensive show to shoot and even 10 seasons is an unrealistic ask of the actors, unless it were possible to do the last couple of seasons in one extended shoot. You can conceivably replace the crew or showrunners, but at this late point it's impossible to imagine replacing even a single actor.

I think even a full season 8 or possibly a 9th season would have gone a long way toward assuaging most/all of these complaints. I really believe that for most it isn't the outcome of the story they're bothered by, just the clunky way in which we're arriving at it.

Yeah, even just a full 9 seasons could have been better.

Season 7- extended so it would feel less rushed.
Season 8- focused on and peaking with the defeat of the army of the dead
Season 9- focused on the iron throne\wrapping things up

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

You don't think people would complain if next season there were new Jon Snow, new Dany, etc.? That would completely ruin it for me.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
The Mountain doesn't talk. Daario was replaced after his first season. Those are all very minor characters. If any of the main characters dip out, it would change the feel of the show.
You'd rather have Kit saying "She's muh queen" and "I don't want it!" and this ending we're getting instead of someone else going much deeper into the story?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I would say 8 full seasons may have been fine. The pacing with these really long episodes has been really off. A lot of moments just feel forced and out of place. Varys's death for example deserved better. It felt like they checked a box and moved on. It should have been the big ending of an episode with a lot of buildup. Was he trying to poison Dany with his little bird? Seems like it, but it's not clear.

I think having seasons 7 and 8 be a full 10 hour long episodes would have fixed a lot of that. Honestly I could have done without a lot of the big battle stuff and more story development. I don't think it added much to the show but probably took a tremendous amount of the shows production effort. We didn't fall in love with the show because it was a big budget action war show.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloneworld

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron