Future Big 12 FB Opponents/Schedule Announced

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
It’s clear the conference set parameters for a series to be an annual game. The matchups have to be within the same state: Utah vs BYU, KU vs KSU, Baylor vs TCU, AZ vs ASU. Sorry, but a manufactured rivalry between two teams who reside in states that don’t even border each other don’t meet those parameters.

They drew those lines because they prioritized everyone playing each home and home within a 4-year period, so we don’t have an SEC situation where a west team will play a team in the east once over the course of 10 years. And after all that, they still favored historical matchups because we are still playing them 3 out of 4 years.

I see people saying why didn’t Pollard fight for it as if he can just wave a wand and make it happen. There’s 16 different stakeholders. If the conference gives into ISU vs KSU, what about WVU vs Cincy or OSU vs Texas Tech/Baylor (last remaining B12 South teams), or CU vs Utah (bordering states). Can you play each team once every 4 years home and home protecting every single matchup a school wants?

Plus, clearly Pollard doesn’t care enough about the matchup to fight for it. And we have been over as nauseum why it’s really not that big of a rivalry.
And you are wrong but nice thesis you typed out there.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
WVU fans do NOT consider Cincinatti a rival. That said, WVU fans are passionate and travel. We had a strong presence at UCF last weekend. At least 5000, maybe more. I was there on the 50 yard line with a row 1 seat.

Finally, after 10 years without complaint, the Big 12 adds a team that WVU fans can easily travel to the away game. And while cinn. isnt a rival, like Pitt and VT, WVU was in the same conference with them for a while, and they were good with brian kelley as their coach.

Then the Big 12 adds some western schools, with WVU's blessing (big picture), but makes WVU travel out west twice in some years, and doesnt give WVU an annual game with the team in its backyard.

Pods would've worked. The only team that would've been screwed in a pod system was Houston, assuming they got kicked east. Even then, they would still be in a pod with former aac conference foes ucf and cinn.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
WVU fans do NOT consider Cincinatti a rival. That said, WVU fans are passionate and travel. We had a strong presence at UCF last weekend. At least 5000, maybe more. I was there on the 50 yard line with a row 1 seat.

Finally, after 10 years without complaint, the Big 12 adds a team that WVU fans can easily travel to the away game. And while cinn. isnt a rival, like Pitt and VT, WVU was in the same conference with them for a while, and they were good with brian kelley as their coach.

Then the Big 12 adds some western schools, with WVU's blessing (big picture), but makes WVU travel out west twice in some years, and doesnt give WVU an annual game with the team in its backyard.

Pods would've worked. The only team that would've been screwed in a pod system was Houston, assuming they got kicked east. Even then, they would still be in a pod with former aac conference foes ucf and cinn.
Understand the scheduling might not be popular with WVa, but if you all leave for the ACC, money will be reasons 1, 2, and 3, not the schedule

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Everybody is operating on the principle that Kansas State WANTED two protected rivals. Perhaps, just perhaps, they got the KU game and were happy with only one protected game. Didn't want to be tied down with another.

It's not like the B12 was going to FORCE them against their will to add us as a second rival even if we wanted that.

The other three protected rivals probably mutually agreed (BYU/Utah, Arizona/ASU, TCU/Baylor).

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I’m not sure why it’s difficult to understand.

It seems they set parameters that if you have an in-state rival, they’ll make that an annual game. If not, then you can get a game 3 out of 4 years or 2 out of 4 years. The only schools they didn’t do this for is Texas Tech and Houston. But those two schools are 500 miles away.
“Seems” is the key word here. Especially considering your disclaimer.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Everybody is operating on the principle that Kansas State WANTED two protected rivals. Perhaps, just perhaps, they got the KU game and were happy with only one protected game. Didn't want to be tied down with another.

It's not like the B12 was going to FORCE them against their will to add us as a second rival even if we wanted that.

The other three protected rivals probably mutually agreed (BYU/Utah, Arizona/ASU, TCU/Baylor).
“Wanted”? I’m not sure that two would have been ALLOWED. And their first choice always would be KU.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
FWIW, the opinion on the kstate board was 100 percent pissed off that a rivalry game played every year since WW I wasnt protected.

few think the schedule is good. For whatever reason, it appears the PAC teams had to be appeased. maybe they were threatening to go to the acc with cal and stanford. shrug.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
FWIW, the opinion on the kstate board was 100 percent pissed off that a rivalry game played every year since WW I wasnt protected.

few think the schedule is good. For whatever reason, it appears the PAC teams had to be appeased. maybe they were threatening to go to the acc with cal and stanford. shrug.

Just curious, what would have been an ideal schedule setup for WVa? From a Mountaineer perspective.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Can't blame WVU for wanting a pod with Cincy, UCF and Houston. I think Colorado was probably vehemently opposed to being in a pod with KU, KSU and ISU when they have Utah and the Arizona schools in their own time zone. Can't blame them either. The B12 wouldn't be where it is now without Colorado so I'm sure that had some sway on the decision to forgo pods.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Can't blame WVU for wanting a pod with Cincy, UCF and Houston. I think Colorado was probably vehemently opposed to being in a pod with KU, KSU and ISU when they have Utah and the Arizona schools in their own time zone. Can't blame them either. The B12 wouldn't be where it is now without Colorado so I'm sure that had some sway on the decision to forgo pods.
If I was WVa, I’d want ISU vs Houston. ISU is closer and they have a longer standing relationship

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well, why protect any games then? Why did they protect 4, if any of that mattered? Why were those given special treatment? If what you say is true then you should use those same reasons for not having the 4 protected games they are having.

That really is my point, most of the excuses being said, should/could be said about the 4 protected games they did. If any of these reasons mattered they should not have protected any games. And if the opposite is true, and it was ok to protect 4 then is should be ok to protect a few more.
I don't think they should have protected any, but I can see why they would protect KU/KSU instead of ISU/KSU.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO the loser in the Big12 schedule were fans and promoting in stadium ticket sales for visiting fans. No reason ISU doesn't play KU and KSU every year. I would have also liked to play CU or OSU annually to keep long time rivals, but can understand if those schools would prefer other rivals. Also, would not have minded setting Cincy up as new rival for ISU,

The Big10 got it right in not having a set number of protected rivals. I feel there would have been nothing wrong with the AZ, UT and CO schools being protected rivals. With a 9 game schedule, the more protected rivals the tougher it is to balance SOS. But no reason why each school shouldn't have 2-3 protected rivals.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

There is no guarantee that it would have been Houston "kicked east" It could have very well been ISU so they could put Houston in with the other Texas schools for a convenient pod. You think there is an outcry on this board now? Just imagine the screaming if ISU was shipped east to a pod of a team they have played for 12 years and two other teams they have really never played all 600 to 1400 miles away.

Nolaeer

Nov 24, 2012
Just curious, what would have been an ideal schedule setup for WVa? From a Mountaineer perspective.
As is with cinn being an annual game. There are some excellent podcasts out there explaining in detail why the big 12 schedule sucks, and i mean podcasts not by wvu people.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
IMO the loser in the Big12 schedule were fans and promoting in stadium ticket sales for visiting fans. No reason ISU doesn't play KU and KSU every year. I would have also liked to play CU or OSU annually to keep long time rivals, but can understand if those schools would prefer other rivals. Also, would not have minded setting Cincy up as new rival for ISU,

The Big10 got it right in not having a set number of protected rivals. I feel there would have been nothing wrong with the AZ, UT and CO schools being protected rivals. With a 9 game schedule, the more protected rivals the tougher it is to balance SOS. But no reason why each school shouldn't have 2-3 protected rivals.
The B10 did not get it right when one team has three protected rivals. That's just plain stupid.

QBEagles

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 11, 2014
It would've been trivially easy to swap the third occurrence of ISU-WVU and KSU-Cincy to get a fourth round of ISU-KSU and WVU-Cincy. I'm surprised they didn't.

That said, the only travel difference for WVU in that scenario is swapping out a trip to Ames with a trip to Cincy once every 8 years if they keep this format, so it's not exactly a logistical nightmare they've caused. How they handle other sports will have a much bigger impact on that.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
I see it as Yormark being very smart once again. The worst thing to happen to a conference is to have your CCG end up being between 2 teams that no one cares about. Keeping these "rivalries" almost assures those 2 teams will not meet in the CCG. Who wants to watch a TCU/Baylor, AZ/ASU, BYU/Utah, KU/KSU Big XII championship? No one outside of the state those teams reside. The other team combos bring in viewership from various parts of the country and even if you have 2 Texas teams, much bigger alumni and fanbases will be interested.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Thought about this for a minute. I don’t think we need any “protected rivalries”. At least, not before Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri all get frozen out of the hypothetical future super mega conference, and are looking for a home.

(Only part :jimlad:)

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Playing 9 conference games is the most important part of the new B12 schedule. While OuT is out, ISU is still guaranteed to play a pretty tough schedule. Look at 2024. We still play Iowa, KSU, KU and Utah (all potential top 25 teams). SOS matters to get into the CFP. While the B12 champion will get an automatic bid to new 12-team playoff, there is a good chance for a 2nd bid if the SOS is there. That's where playing 9 conference games could give us an edge over an ACC team that played 8 conference games.

1699109237929.png