Full Court (Im)Press: Restaurant Group Crushing It in Tough Times

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Seems like Court Ave, outside of FCP places, has just become the spot for poorly run meat markets.

I guess it's probably always been that way, now that I think about it, but that Court Center building had some juice 10-15 years ago.
Larry Smithson owns that building IIRC and there's been issues over the years.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'd say that time frame seemed to be its peak. The Exchange was brand new and a fun/novel concept. Jokers has always been Jokers, but you at least felt comfortable in there. Beer Can Alley was pretty new and hadn't moved upstairs yet. On top of that you had Mickeys, Legends, Johnnys, and the FCP places that were all clean (usually) and in good shape.

But last time the wife and I made it down there at night (admittedly, this was 2 years ago) it had degraded into an area the felt dirty, unsafe, and poorly maintained. Was fairly sad to experience.
We would go to ICubs games then hit up some of those bars years ago. Now after an ICubs game I would rather go to East Village or Ingersoll areas.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Haven't been down to that area since the Legends/ Liars Club days. The area seemed pretty safe and clean back then.

I'd much rather go to El Bait Shop or Mullets if I'm going to a baseball game nowadays.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd say that time frame seemed to be its peak. The Exchange was brand new and a fun/novel concept. Jokers has always been Jokers, but you at least felt comfortable in there. Beer Can Alley was pretty new and hadn't moved upstairs yet. On top of that you had Mickeys, Legends, Johnnys, and the FCP places that were all clean (usually) and in good shape.

But last time the wife and I made it down there at night (admittedly, this was 2 years ago) it had degraded into an area the felt dirty, unsafe, and poorly maintained. Was fairly sad to experience.
I was last there at night in 2019 or so. It didn't feel remotely unsafe, it just seemed like the kind of places I had zero interest in hanging out. I chalked that up more to my changing preferences than a particular downgrade, although I do think losing places like Dos Rios definitely pushed it towards more of a "just here to get hammered and **** strangers" crowd.

There are enough FCP places in the neighborhood that it's not going to go that way completely. I was there during the day for the Farmer's Market last summer and it seemed pretty much the same as always. But most of the nightlife is not aimed for people like me.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I was last there at night in 2019 or so. It didn't feel remotely unsafe, it just seemed like the kind of places I had zero interest in hanging out. I chalked that up more to my changing preferences than a particular downgrade, although I do think losing places like Dos Rios definitely pushed it towards more of a "just here to get hammered and **** strangers" crowd.

There are enough FCP places in the neighborhood that it's not going to go that way completely. I was there during the day for the Farmer's Market last summer and it seemed pretty much the same as always. But most of the nightlife is not aimed for people like me.
At some point there were metal detectors installed and alcohol was stopped at midnight. That was my last time down there that late.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonsin

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Was the Court Center Building the one the city kicked all the tenants out and shut it down?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Everyone goes to the East Village now and the only places that will make it (in my opinion) are the long established establishments like Fong's, Royal Mile, Bait Shop, etc. Tough to break in and gain traction when much of the business is across the river.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Was the Court Center Building the one the city kicked all the tenants out and shut it down?
Yep, its the 3 story building on 3rd and Court.

This was from June so maybe plans have changed but this is what the ownership is planning to do.

The 35,000-plus-square-foot building will be divided into three parts under the ownership group's new plan: a restaurant on the first floor, outfitted with outdoor patio seating, an "entertainment or amusement-type venue" such as a bowling alley on the second floor, and a "Nashville-style live music venue" on the third floor.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Larry Smithson owns that building IIRC and there's been issues over the years.

Larry does not own that building. In fact he is in a lawsuit against the owners. The Court Center building owner seems to have messed up the whole court ave thing. I have not been to court ave in Years. I went to Johnnys after a concert one time and seemed like a good bar for younger folks. Have heard it has got really bad downtown in the court ave area.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Larry does not own that building. In fact he is in a lawsuit against the owners. The Court Center building owner seems to have messed up the whole court ave thing. I have not been to court ave in Years. I went to Johnnys after a concert one time and seemed like a good bar for younger folks. Have heard it has got really bad downtown in the court ave area.
Oh ok, so he must be a tenant then?

Reactions: Drew0311

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Yep, its the 3 story building on 3rd and Court.

This was from June so maybe plans have changed but this is what the ownership is planning to do.

That's what I thought. One of my clients had a bar in that building.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Oh ok, so he must be a tenant then?

Yeah I think he is just a tenant at most of his bars. I know his sons own the tall skinny country bar in the court ave district. Maybe Outlaws?? Is the name. His other son owns Pints and the upstairs bar and the building. Larry might own a building or two downtown. Just not court center.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

In the 1980's "renaissance" of court avenue, the Court Center building was the home to "Gringo's" and right next to it at 210 Court was "Judge Roy Bean's". And your court ave party warm up during the summer months at Nollen Plaza was "senoiM seD" every Friday after 5pm. Downtown was rocking back then.

Heard stories of what an armpit it was back in the 70's, sounds as if it's heading in that direction.

Reactions: Blackhawk6515

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006

Thinking back to the mid to late 2000's, downtown was the only place in the DSM area with multiple bars in walking distance of each other. The Court Center building was home to many very popular bars; People's (later became the Exchange), The music venue/stage next to Peoples, Liar's Club, the bar adjacent to Liar's Club (seemed to change names often), and there was also some sort of Rock Bar on the ground floor for a bit. Having everything else within a block or two made it a very appealing destination for many demographics. Outside of downtown, bars around DSM were essentially located in small shopping centers scattered everywhere. This was before Uber was a thing making difficult to hop around.

I think the popularity of the West Glen area in WDM started taking away from downtown in the early 2010's, by offering multiple/different kinds of bars/restaurants in the same area.

• Winner
Reactions: DSMCy

Help Support Us

Become a patron