Friday OT - R.O.C.K. In the U.S.A.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
The Beatles. For those on CF who are familiar w/ my music taste, that would come as no surprise.

Oddly, I don't actively listen to Beatles any more frequently than numerous other artists. I tend to cycle through some of the group's albums over a period of a couple of years. Maybe I'll choose "Rubber Soul" and listen to full thing regularly for a few weeks, then there's a gap, then I revisit Abbey Road, and so on.

As others have said, some on that infographic I don't consider classic rock ... my general idea of the genre is any group formed after mid-'70s I don't consider as classic. e.g., GnR, Metallica, Nirvana ... I still don't consider those as classic.

But I'm getting old and perhaps stuck in time warp - I probably associate the specifics with the original era of "classic rock radio."

I'd like to see the full list of artists designated as classic for the survey's purpose.

Reactions: matclone and Angie

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Friday OT idea. If you were only able to listen to one artist for the rest of your life (deserted island style), what artist would that be?
I'd have to go with Radiohead. Nice sized catalogue with good variety for all moods... 'OK Computer' and 'The Bends' for what I believe is their best stuff... 'Kid A' anytime I'd be in a funky experimental mood... 'Pablo Honey' (which I've always thought is underrated) for the more straightforward, easy, feel-good listening.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
This is a little peripheral, but interesting because I'm sure you'll all recognize most of the entries. Here's a great spot to ID some new, well-recorded pop music. The list spans about the last 50 years.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
When I was younger, I thought it would be The Who over the Rolling Stones, but that has flipped. I've really enjoyed listening to some of the deluxe albums by the Stones.
As for Bowie, I literally wore out Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars LP.
Special mention to Dire Straits. "Love over Gold" is a masterpiece.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie and Turn2

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
Led Zeplin is probably my favorite all round classic rock, but our home (as a kid) was mostly eagles(mom) and moody blues(dad).

It's hard to stomach that the **** I listened to as a young adult is now old fart music to my kids. Good news is, as the kids get older they are becoming more receptive to the music I listen to.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
From that list, Pink Floyd.

I was in my 20s during the 90s and while I can appreciate Nirvana as the flagbearers for a new musical genre, I never really went all in on grunge. I was more of a Pavement guy during that time.
Agree, Pink Floyd is about the only one I would listen to consistently. The others have been overplayed for me, I am done with them.

And if Nirvana counts, then so can Tool, aka Pink Floyd's crunchy reincarnation.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Friday OT idea. If you were only able to listen to one artist for the rest of your life (deserted island style), what artist would that be?
Jack White, he’s been in multiple bands plus a solo career and worked with many different rock, blues, folk and country artists.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie and drlove

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I've seen KISS 15 times. Still have my first album I received for Christmas in 1977. Technically not classified as a classic rock band, but could be. Blue Oyster Cult, Aerosmith, and Boston are up there.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I saw the attached infographic this week, and found the dichotomy of Europe/Asia vs US interesting. And I love the mental image of everyone in Zimbabwe listening to Thin Lizzy non-stop.

My most-listened to would likely be Bowie, maybe the Stones. Beatles are certainly up there. I have a mental block with Nirvana being considered classic rock.

What would your top classic rock band be?
Taking a second look at this graphic, I have to wonder how many times the We Will Rock You/ Champions song was counted. It's use is so common for any competition event now. Queen is a great band, but I suspect their numbers are skewed by that one song.

Reactions: Angie and pourcyne

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Alrighty, then, found the graphic on Reddit, then got a close up of the fine print.

The methodology was to make a seed list of the most popular rock groups and then search the hits/views on YouTube by country.

However, if their seed list doesn't contain any foreign titles/bands, they're not going to find them in their study.

For example, Kenzi Yonezu from Japan has 6.63 million subscribers on YouTube, but his music (more pop than rock, of course) would never show up on such a search.

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinkin', Angie...

:otz:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If you were a kid growing up in the 80's and 90's like I was it has to be AC/DC. There are many others in the time frame that were popular I like too but I probably like more or their songs than most other popular rocks bands in that era.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My top 5 would probably be

REM
Elvis
Tom Petty
The Beatles
Do The Beastie Boys count as classic rock? Does Paul Simon count as rock?

• Friendly

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Taking a second look at this graphic, I have to wonder how many times the We Will Rock You/ Champions song was counted. It's use is so common for any competition event now. Queen is a great band, but I suspect their numbers are skewed by that one song.

I hadn't thought about the single-song aspect.

Also, in the case of Queen, it could be skewed toward triple-play of We Will/Champions PLUS Bohemian Rhapsody.

Nirvana could be carried a lot by Teen Spirit. GnR maybe it's Sweet Child O Mine, but also Welcome to the Jungle gets similar saturation still, (by my unscientific estimate) so who knows.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron