Friday OT #3 - Mama I'm Coming Home

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
8 years ago we were on a family vacation at a Cabin in northern Minnesota. It was just getting dark out and I had already had a few beers. I had just gotten out of college and had a large group of friends. I was always getting asked to do something almost everyday and had a hard time saying no. I was stressed out to where the fun things weren’t fun anymore and became obligations. My mother asked if I wanted to go for a walk by the lake, just her and I. On that walk she told me that I’m a good guy and friends want to be around me, but that I had to learn to tell people no and take time for myself. I remember it being a super life changing yoda moment and vowed to work that into my life. Shortly after she developed an advanced version of Parkinsons and passed away within 2 years. She always gave good advice, but that’s my favorite Mom moment.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
When I was little my mom had 5 kids so she was always busy but always found time for each of us. I will never forget how she stayed up all night with me when I had appendicitis. The doctor sent me home and scheduled surgery for the next morning. All I could have was ice chips, not even any water and I was attempting to vomit about every 15 minutes. It was the longest night of my life, but my mom was there through the whole thing. She even rescheduled my birthday party a month later so I could enjoy it fully.

I also had some significant injury to my face and she was in the back seat with me as my dad rushed us to the hospital 15 miles away. She was doing all she could to make sure I didn't choke on all of the blood.

Between all of our injuries and illnesses she was always there and strong in the face of it all.

• Friendly
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
When my wife and I were dating for awhile, we decided to have our parents meet. We went to her parents house for a couple of drinks and we then went out to dinner at Joe's Crab Shack. When we left, both my mom and my mother-in-law walked out of the restaurant wearing those buckets they use to put crab shells in, on their heads. I guess my wife and I were probably raised very similarly.

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
My moment requires a little backstory. In 1998 my mom had a routine dr. appointment. This particular one I went to along with my grandmother. In her room while her appointment was going on my grandmother and I were watching the movie larger than life with Bill Murray on the tv in her short stay room.

Halfway through the movie the dr. returns and gave us the news that you hope never to hear. He revealed that my mom had breast cancer. One of the toughest days of my life. My mom comes in and had been under anesthesia so we actually knew her diagnosis before she did. So tough to see her then get told the news by the dr. So she has surgery followed by radiation and chemotherapy. So hard to see anyone in your family much less a parent in such a tired exhaustive state.

1998 was my junior year of high school. Speed up to high school graduation in May of 1999. When graduation ends usually you share in hugs and embraces with your fellow classmates, but there was only one person I wanted to share in this moment. So I go over to where my family is gathered and had one of the most emotional hugs I've ever shared with my mother.

Best part of the story is that my mother beat cancer and has been cancer free for almost 20 years.

Your mom's a wonderful woman, Rulzzz! I get to bump into her every so often on campus. :)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron