Friday OT #2 - Take This Restaurant and Shove It!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
@CtownCyclone had this idea a few weeks ago in a thread where he was guessing a topic, so I decided to steal it:

Gotta be a place you won't go to for some reason or other. Crappy customer service, don't believe in something they stand for, etc.

For me, ideally I don't want to go to Chick-Fil-A for their politics. But waffle fries, so I sometimes cave.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Chick-Fil-A has great food and we stop there a lot when traveling. Sometimes a little mad when we realize it's Sunday but they have to have a great restaurant to survive being closed half the weekend. That is their choice that I certainly respect.

Hmm, can't really think of one that I detest. McDonalds has really gone downhill but their stock is soaring, that annoys me I suppose.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
When I lived outside of Houston, my brother lived with me for a summer while he interned at a certain government agency. His (now) wife came to visit me and my (now) wife. We decided to go to a Tex-Mex place that was pretty good - not one of the best, but still pretty decent. When we were being served our food, the server dropped a steaming-hot plate of refried beans, which barely missed my sister-in-law. Could have been really, really bad.

What did we get for that? A giggle from the waitress and a quiet "I'm sorry" from her. Then we got to clean it up ourselves and didn't get the meal comp'd.

Never went back, even when somebody else was paying.

Reactions: Angie

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
McDonalds is the obvious one for me. I just feel dirty after I eat there. Sometimes we cave out of necessity, but man I hate McDonalds.

My wife and I never would go to McDonalds, just because the food isn't that great, isn't that great for you, and we lived close to What-a-burger. When she got pregnant, she craved McDonalds cheeseburgers. Had to be Mickey D's, nobody else's. Now that our lil' fella is 2, the PlayPlace is a welcome sight on long road trips.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Chili's. My old high school served better food than Chili's. I ate there 3 times and each time it was inferior food at inflated prices.

On a side note, I don't bother with politics swaying me where I will eat, or what movie to go see, etc... Politicians are morons that only care about staying in office.

Reactions: Bryce7

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
They didn't last long here in KC, but I boycotted Chevy's Mexican because their food was horrible and their service was some of the worst I've ever had. I feel bad saying it, but I was happy to see them fail.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I will not go to the new franchise pizza places on Lincoln Way in Campustown. It is only Jeff's for me. Boycott the intruding franchises.

Reactions: Angie

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
@CtownCyclone had this idea a few weeks ago in a thread where he was guessing a topic, so I decided to steal it:

Gotta be a place you won't go to for some reason or other. Crappy customer service, don't believe in something they stand for, etc.

For me, ideally I don't want to go to Chick-Fil-A for their politics. But waffle fries, so I sometimes cave.

Politics aside..Chick-Fil-A has some of the best customer service I've ever seen.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I can't stand Applebees - and I know that will not be popular with most here - because there's something about the spices they use that just doesn't go well with me. My wife doesn't understand it, but I'd much rather go to Hickory Park.

Also had a chance to try White Castle recently. Was kind of pumped since I remembered it from way back in the movie "Saturday Night Fever", plus the Harold and Kumar movies. Boy, was I disappointed.....that is some goshawful crap.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Politics aside..Chick-Fil-A has some of the best customer service I've ever seen.

They really do, they're very eager to please. I don't actually particularly like their chicken or breakfast stuff, so I really only just get their chicken noodle soup (which is fabulous) or waffle fries - but they really do run a tight ship.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
While not a restaurant, a food. Blue Bunny ice cream. Since it came out the Wells family donates to Steve King, we won't buy their products again. That's too bad because their products are kind of iconic Iowan, like AE, Caseys, Sterzings.

I haven't had dessert at Hickory Park since then, but I'll still eat HP.

Texas Roadhouse became one for me. I like the food, but their website's page about peanut allergies was too in-your-face for me. We have a daughter with a peanut allergy, and it would likely all be fine without the bucket at the table, but the way their website read that first time closed the door for me.

Sighclone Fan

Jan 19, 2008
Oh boy, I love their chicken sandwich. But I'm a homer for those. Raising Canes also has amazing chicken..

Sorry getting off topic here...To answer your question, not really any place but Perkins is certainly more disappointing than I remember as a kid.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and Angie

Help Support Us

Become a patron