Friday OT #2 - Show Me That Smile Again

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks so much to an anonymous friend for this idea! Show us some of your Halloween decorations - your jack-o-lantern, front porch, whatever you've got!

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I started singing the "Growing Pains" theme when I saw the title of this thread.

We had good intentions of getting pumpkins this year to carve (I love roasted pumpkin seeds), but ... the fall got away from us. There's always next year!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I started singing the "Growing Pains" theme when I saw the title of this thread.

We had good intentions of getting pumpkins this year to carve (I love roasted pumpkin seeds), but ... the fall got away from us. There's always next year!

I can't get it out of my head, and I only have myself to blame!

I feel like the worst mom ever, but we've only ever actually carved the pumpkins once since having kids. Our youngest and a knife are a bad combo. We'll need to do that sometime soon!

Reactions: MJ29

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I don't have my pumkins carved yet. Will do that tomorrow to put out for the trick or treaters. I also have a bunch of gourds that I got from my parents. Not wanting to deal with those after Halloween I will be sending as many as I can with children that stop by, with their candy of course.

Reactions: Angie

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We were carving ours last night and our 3 year old daughter wanted a unicorn. So MrsWx drew on a unicorn head. Then the girl said "what about the legs". I was nearly kicked out for piping in with "unicorns have wings too."
With good reason. Everyone knows that unicorns don't have wings, pegasi do. Unicorns are the narwhal of the forest.

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
We were carving ours last night and our 3 year old daughter wanted a unicorn. So MrsWx drew on a unicorn head. Then the girl said "what about the legs". I was nearly kicked out for piping in with "unicorns have wings too."

You're playing a dangerous game :eek:

• Agree

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Spoken as a wife of an instigator...

This does not end as well for you as you think it does.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
With good reason. Everyone knows that unicorns don't have wings, pegasi do. Unicorns are the narwhal of the forest.
My first instinct was to make fun of you for knowing that. Then I realized I knew that too and should probably just sit back down

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Additional note about mine: I'm historically inept at pumpkin-carving, and I was less than enthusiastic about the project this year. But I was pleasantly surprised, esp. considering it's the first time I've ever freehand-carved without penciling guides on the gourd prior to cutting.

• Agree

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This was the first year that the girl and the boy both did all of the carving themselves. I did hold my breath some while the boy was doing the knife work. I had 911 dialed on my phone with my finger hovering over the send button. :eek:

I was able to help them with the final clean out of the pumpkins a little bit and then just concentrate on sorting the seeds from the rest of the guts and cleaning them and just carving mine.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This was the first year that the girl and the boy both did all of the carving themselves. I did hold my breath some while the boy was doing the knife work. I had 911 dialed on my phone with my finger hovering over the send button. :eek:

I was able to help them with the final clean out of the pumpkins a little bit and then just concentrate on sorting the seeds from the rest of the guts and cleaning them and just carving mine.

Our youngest is six and a force of nature, so I entirely understand that. And I ended up in the ER getting stitches from a stupid knife injury a few months ago, so it's not like they're getting grace from my side of the family tree. I am really impressed that you made it through the carving without any injuries!

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
I'm too lazy to decorate for holidays (it looks like we're the only ones on our street who feel that way, oops) and I wasn't planning on carving a pumpkin this year but this has got me thinking about getting one tomorrow. So here's my compilation of pumpkin carvings from previous years (I seem to do one about every other year). Can't remember what made me divert from the trend one year.
20201030_104048.jpg

I was in the middle of carving the tornado last year on Halloween when I got a tornado warning on my phone for our area!

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I did this a couple years ago at work

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron