• I attended ISU but graduated from somewhere else

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I attended ISU but not graduate

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have a family member who went to ISU who made me a fan

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I have a friend who went to ISU who made me a fan

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other way that I became an ISU fan (please elaborate)

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • I am not an ISU fan - here as a rival

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a troll, not an ISU fan

• I am a robot, not an ISU fan

• Total voters

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
One of the common jokes about the Hawkeyes fans vs Cyclones fans is that neither went to U of I.

I'm curious how many ISU fans either went here, started here, or like ISU because of family. The poll is private so nobody can see your answer and say anything to you about it. Share your stories in the posts, if you feel comfortable.

I did want to make sure to be clear - I don't see being a "Tavern Clone" as a bad thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I grew up a Hawkeye fan. Joined my younger brother at ISU when I got out of the Navy. Now I see what (a lot of) hok fans are really like -- hope I wasn't like that.

Reactions: Angie

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Tavern Clone here. Dad and brother both went to ISU. I decided I wanted the smaller college experience so I went to Loras College.
Yeah, that's really similar to me. Parents and uncle went there but I wanted a smaller school, to be a little further from home, and liked the academic program better at Wooster so I went there.

At the risk of derailing the thread a little bit (sorry @Angie), I don't know that that's what makes someone a tavernclone/tavernhok. I think you also need to be a complete jerk to opposing fans, and I think that's just more common in people that didn't go to the university.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Yeah, that's really similar to me. Parents and uncle went there but I wanted a smaller school, to be a little further from home, and liked the academic program better at Wooster so I went there.

At the risk of derailing the thread a little bit (sorry @Angie), I don't know that that's what makes someone a tavernclone/tavernhok. I think you also need to be a complete jerk to opposing fans, and I think that's just more common in people that didn't go to the university.

Oh! I had thought the definition was that your only affiliation with the school was watching them in a tavern in some tiny town or something.

You never need to apologize - I like learning this stuff! I don't usually use the phrases like that, so I am no expert!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
1st gen Clone, influenced my youngest sister to attend ISU. My one niece attended also.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Grew up a fan since my Dad is from Ames. I was going to Iowa State no matter what even though I applied at UNI and Iowa to humor myself. I'm the first male in my family on either side to graduate college.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Oh! I had thought the definition was that your only affiliation with the school was watching them in a tavern in some tiny town or something.

You never need to apologize - I like learning this stuff! I don't usually use the phrases like that, so I am no expert!
I think your definition is probably the right one (because that's what I've heard too), I'm just on a slow mission to change it. I have a really good friend who would be a tavernhok, but don't feel like he really deserves the name, and I would prefer to not be called a tavernclone. Plus, it seems a little silly to be insulting someone unless they're also being a jerk.

I still think it's silly to be a fan of a university that you have no connection to, but I don't know that it's insult-worthy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have family that grew up in Ames but I didn't go there.

Was embedded in me.

Also had family that went to UNI so I followed them growing up. There was more coverage of UNI in Linn County.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think your definition is probably the right one (because that's what I've heard too), I'm just on a slow mission to change it. I have a really good friend who would be a tavernhok, but don't feel like he really deserves the name, and I would prefer to not be called a tavernclone. Plus, it seems a little silly to be insulting someone unless they're also being a jerk.

I still think it's silly to be a fan of a university that you have no connection to, but I don't know that it's insult-worthy

I agree - I really don't use the term at all, especially as an insult. Partially for the reasons you listed, and partially because I mostly think name calling in sports and politics isn't particularly intelligent-sounding. We'll take any fans who want to come!

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
One of the common jokes about the Hawkeyes fans vs Cyclones fans is that neither went to U of I.

I'm curious how many ISU fans either went here, started here, or like ISU because of family. The poll is private so nobody can see your answer and say anything to you about it. Share your stories in the posts, if you feel comfortable.

My parents and I moved to Ames in the summer of 1961, (just missed the OU win), and had to find a place quickly so my mom could start her new job at what was then the National Animal Disease Ctr. So we got a little place at Lincoln Apts. for the first year, (they're kitty-corner from Dunkin' Donuts). Lo and behold, directlly to the east, before you got to Friley Hall, was Clyde Williams Field, home of the ISU Cyclones!! It wasn't big and it wasn't fancy, but they had pop and popcorn for ten cents each, and they had college football!! We moved from a little town up by the Minn. border and this was a whole new world to me!!

I have to admit that first season, I don't remember about the games, I was too taken in by the spectacle of it all. I do remember tying Nebraska 20-20 when they were highly rated. We would have won had Tom Gedgeon(sp?) not missed the only PAT he wasn't successful on in his whole career, I think. That was a long time ago, and I was just a kid. I'm sure someone could fact-check me a lot quicker than I could myself.

I even saw a few b-ball games at the Armory b4 they moved to Hilton. It was a dark, dismal place, but had personality.

Anyway, I've been 'Clone to the Bone ever since, and will be until the day they plant me into the earth.

Thank goodness for JP!!! IMO, he's the reason all this has, and is, happening, As long as we keep him around, I think we'll be A-OK!!!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron