• I attended ISU but graduated from somewhere else

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I attended ISU but not graduate

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have a family member who went to ISU who made me a fan

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I have a friend who went to ISU who made me a fan

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other way that I became an ISU fan (please elaborate)

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • I am not an ISU fan - here as a rival

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a troll, not an ISU fan

• I am a robot, not an ISU fan

• Total voters

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Both parents grew up in rural IC. Father graduated from Iowa (after a few semesters at Penn State courtesy of Uncle Sam and the US Army). Mother graduated from U of I school of nursing. Grew up in E Iowa and sort of an Iowa fan. Did spend one summer in Ames-had and uncle who worked for ISU then - about 1964. Saw one Iowa football game (free) pre-Fry. Did follow them during their 69/70? MBB Big10 run. Then in HS I pretty much quit following sports.

Graduated HS and didn't have any real plans. Considered UNI because friends were going there. Had a cousin going to ISU and went with his folks one weekend to visit. Saw the ISU campus and decided I should apply. So after two years off (worked full time at Hy-Vee) started at ISU. Didn't really plan on going to any sports things but roommate was a huge football fan and talked me into getting season tickets. I think they were $14 for the season ($2 per game). I was hooked.

Then had another buddy on our floor who liked basketball and we used to go sit behind the opposing team's bench and razz them and their coaches (Sit down Norm!). Johnny was announced as coach the last year I was there but I was gone before he began.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lexclone and Angie

IcSyUclone

Mar 20, 2020
Grew up in eastern Iowa. Most of my extended family likes the team to the west with a small group that likes the team out east. When I was about 10 I needed a team and couldn't stand either. Have been cheering for ISU ever since. Even have the kNU grad wife rooting for them when the huskers are not playing. We try to get the kids to a bb or fb game a year.

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

Wappadu

Feb 7, 2012
I'm a tavern clone. I grew up near Ames and went to games as a kid, but didn't go to school at ISU.

I don't understand why the tavern criticism gets leveled at college fanbases, but somehow pro team allegiances are exempt. The Packers, Cowboys, Cubs (etc, etc) have national followings, and far from being criticized, it is praised and seen as a sign of strength in the organization.

Gatekeeping who you should be able to root for based on attendance just seems strange for me, especially in Iowa. In a state with no pro teams, it seems only natural that Iowans choose a local rooting interest from the level closest to it. But I probably feel that way because I didn't go to ISU or UofI.

dtISU

Nov 17, 2010
A suburb of Ames
Another 3rd generation alum here. Actually born in Ames as mom had finished her degree and dad was just starting after four years in the navy. Attended my first Cyclone game at Clyde Williams (or so I've been told). Grew up in SW Iowa. Had no idea there was another big university in the state.

Reactions: Angie

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
The most dedicated, passionate Cyclone fan I know is a Tavern Clone. He’s the dad of one of my good buddies from ISU. He started rooting for ISU in the 70’s, simply because he found Iowa fans annoying. He’s had season tickets in 6 different decades. My buddy was obviously raised a Cyclone fan and went to ISU. When a group of us got season tickets for 6-7 years after graduation, my buddy’s dad sat with us younger guys. It’s always a treat to watch ISU games and tailgate with him, as he’s seen so many eras and has a mountain of stories. He’s one of the few that attended the CU snow game. I think the Drake game in ‘18 was the first game he had missed in 15 years.

CYdways432

Jan 22, 2015
Cedar Rapids
Whole family is alumni, grew up going to games. Ended up at UNI when I thought I wanted to be an accountant. Was always entertaining getting crap from people when I would wear and isu apparel. No one ever harassed the hawkeye gear...

Still a huge cyclone fan!

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Grew up a Hawk fan, started rooting for Cyclones and Panthers in high school (along with the Hawks) to support state schools and I was looking at going to those schools. Went and graduated from ISU, elevating them to my #1 team. Dumped Iowa and UNI as my #2 and #3 teams due to Tavern Hawks and Purple Hawks.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I did want to make sure to be clear, so I'll add this to the original post - I don't see being a "Tavern Clone" as a bad thing! I think it's a great thing to be passionate about your team!

I was trying to debunk the joke. I agree with @CloneinWDSM , it would be interesting to see it for the different fan bases in Iowa.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Neither of my parents had traditional college experiences so I knew nothing about colleges until high school. Was smart enough to realize that I wanted nothing to do with Iowa City and had very little guidance about researching colleges so I pretty much chose Iowa State by default. Luckily, it was definitely the right decision!

• Friendly

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I didnt go to ISU but grew up in a rabid Cyclone home.
A lot of family are ISU alum, couple played sports and were household names during their playing time.
I went out of state for school, and have no regret with that decision, but Cyclone fandom travels well, and I run into Clone fans whenever Im sporting the gear.

Reactions: MeanDean

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Both grandparents on my mother's side were grads from Iowa State. Mom and Dad both graduated and got their Masters from Iowa State. My brother, sister, and I have all graduated / will graduate from Iowa State.

Roll Clones.

Reactions: NWICY

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I did want to make sure to be clear, so I'll add this to the original post - I don't see being a "Tavern Clone" as a bad thing! I think it's a great thing to be passionate about your team!

I was trying to debunk the joke. I agree with @CloneinWDSM , it would be interesting to see it for the different fan bases in Iowa.

This such an important point. Growing up in Sioux City when I did you wouldn't even know ISU existed from all the Nebraska & Iowa noise. The difference is huge now (and basketball has been a big part of it). There are a LOT of people on the bandwagon now that have never been to Ames and we want and need them.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Neither of my parents had traditional college experiences so I knew nothing about colleges until high school. Was smart enough to realize that I wanted nothing to do with Iowa City and had very little guidance about researching colleges so I pretty much chose Iowa State by default. Luckily, it was definitely the right decision!
That’s kind of my experience, southwest Iowa near Omaha with Omaha news stations. Frankly Iowa and Iowa state were pretty obscure to me. I visited both and some small colleges. I liked Iowa state for the engineering and com sci but really it boiled down to cost to my parents. No regrets though, glad I went there and I’ll always love the school, campus, and Ames.
I don’t know how much my stuff influenced them, but both siblings went to Iowa state as well.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Been an ISU fan since birth (literally. named after ISU basketball and football coaches when I was born). Then went and graduated from ISU 22 years later

Your since birth comment got to realizing this. My mom was going to ISU fball games while pregnant with me. So I was going to ISU events before was even born.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
The most dedicated, passionate Cyclone fan I know is a Tavern Clone. He’s the dad of one of my good buddies from ISU. He started rooting for ISU in the 70’s, simply because he found Iowa fans annoying. He’s had season tickets in 6 different decades. My buddy was obviously raised a Cyclone fan and went to ISU. When a group of us got season tickets for 6-7 years after graduation, my buddy’s dad sat with us younger guys. It’s always a treat to watch ISU games and tailgate with him, as he’s seen so many eras and has a mountain of stories. He’s one of the few that attended the CU snow game. I think the Drake game in ‘18 was the first game he had missed in 15 years.

God bless this man.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Grew up in NE Iowa, surrounded by Hawk fan friends in school, so my tendency was toward cheering on the Hawks. It helped that ESPN had some kind of local affiliate arrangement to simulcast games on local TV stations whereas the Cyclones were never on TV. I am not sure I even comprehended Iowa State because of these two elements working together. My Dad went to Iowa State, but I don't think it even dawned on me that they competed at a high level in sports, much like Iowa, until the late 90s (I was born in 89).

I remember finding a taped VHS of the Iowa State/UCLA Sweet 16 game in '97, and my eyes were opened. Shortly after I discovered it I started noticing more ISU MBB games on TV. And they were GOOD. My Dad would let me know when they were on and we'd watch them together, a large bald man dominating in the paint and a shorter, angry-looking man sipping diet coke on the sidelines. I would go to school and tell my friends about how good they were, only to get responses like "Who cares?" "They suck!" "IS-WHO?" "Cy-CLOWNS!". Thus my Iowa fandom, if you want to call it that, began to erode, and my loyalty to the Cyclones really took off.

I myself went to UNI (closer to home and tons of friends going there,) but could never get into UNI sports the same way, due to the mid-majorness of their sports programs. I should've gone to ISU and if it weren't for meeting my wife at UNI, I'd say I'd gladly correct that decision if presented another chance.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron