• I attended ISU but graduated from somewhere else

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I attended ISU but not graduate

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have a family member who went to ISU who made me a fan

Votes: 17 11.6%
  • I have a friend who went to ISU who made me a fan

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other way that I became an ISU fan (please elaborate)

Votes: 9 6.2%
  • I am not an ISU fan - here as a rival

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a troll, not an ISU fan

• I am a robot, not an ISU fan

• Total voters

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Life long Hawk fan who discovered whilst filling out college apps in a Marine Corps barracks that Iowa didn't offer my major. I might have stuck with the Hawkeyes had all their fans not been such douchebags at the '97 UI/ISU game. When trailerhawks started running down my new university I was done with all of them.

Converts are the most zealous. That's me.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Oh! I had thought the definition was that your only affiliation with the school was watching them in a tavern in some tiny town or something.

You never need to apologize - I like learning this stuff! I don't usually use the phrases like that, so I am no expert!
I thought this was interchangeable with t-shirt fans which are the fans who just picked a shirt from Wal Mart. My dad is an Iowa fan but went to a small school. I don’t consider him a tavern hok. His fandom is growing up in Cedar Rapids.

• Winner
Reactions: Angie

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think your definition is probably the right one (because that's what I've heard too), I'm just on a slow mission to change it. I have a really good friend who would be a tavernhok, but don't feel like he really deserves the name, and I would prefer to not be called a tavernclone. Plus, it seems a little silly to be insulting someone unless they're also being a jerk.

I still think it's silly to be a fan of a university that you have no connection to, but I don't know that it's insult-worthy

The definition of what a 'connection' is kind of interesting.

Like I had family that went there, and worked there, and I have a deeper connection to Ames itself than what some people do that I know that went to ISU.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
One of the common jokes about the Hawkeyes fans vs Cyclones fans is that neither went to U of I.

I'm curious how many ISU fans either went here, started here, or like ISU because of family. The poll is private so nobody can see your answer and say anything to you about it. Share your stories in the posts, if you feel comfortable.

No option for I am a robot and an ISU fan?

Discriminatory!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I thought this was interchangeable with t-shirt fans which are the fans who just picked a shirt from Wal Mart. My dad is an Iowa fan but went to a small school. I don’t consider him a tavern hok. His fandom is growing up in Cedar Rapids.

I think geography is absolutely a reason people are fans, and is part of the reason the term is so limiting. (I wasn't mocking people who are fans but didn't attend the school, to be clear - it's just to clarify the assumption based off of our limited data.)

It's something that is interesting at the pro sports level. A lot of times when someone lives in an area (like Iowa) that doesn't have any pro teams, you commonly find fans who are fans of the surrounding markets (Vikings/Bears/Packers/Chiefs/Rams or Twins/Cubs/White Sox/Royals), but you do find people who are fans of other teams where they have no geographical stake. I always find reasoning interesting there, too.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
I had family play sports at ISU, so I was on campus a lot growing up. I went the private school route since it was free, close to home and allowed me to work full time. Luckily I still got to spend a lot of time in the student sections and on campus with friends.

Reactions: Angie

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Grew up in Southeast Iowa as a Hawkeye fan, even attending the Tom Davis BB camp a couple times. When it came time to go to college though I wanted to gear myself toward and engineering degree and Iowa just didn't fit the bill.

First year going to ISU I tried to be supportive of both EIU and ISU, but that gradually changed due to how insufferable a good portion of the EIU fanbase is. Like my freshman year in the middle of the student section sat the most obnoxious hawkeye fans you could imagine. My parents while hawkeye fans, aren't that bad, but most of their friends are terrible, and I got to where I despise the hawkeyes and desperately hope I was never that bad.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
My mom was an ISU grad. We lived within a 30-minute drive to Ames. I grew up knowing I'd be disowned if I became or married a Hawkeye fan. Maybe not, but .... family gatherings would be rough. I wanted to go to ISU, but my high school guidance counselor kind of screwed me over and I ended up at a smaller college. It was a good fit for me, but I sometimes still wish I'd gone to ISU.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I grew up an ISU fan. My grandfather had season tickets and would take me to a few games. However, when it was time for college, my major lined up better at Iowa than ISU. I also liked to think I was better than everyone else because I did not let my sports 'fandom' choose my educational path. I spent a miserable 2.5 years in IC before finally dropping out, starting a family and getting on with life. Finished my degree online many years later.

Reactions: NWICY and Angie

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
If I remember right, you aren't really a fan of Iowa either. Is there any particular reason why (and you definitely don't have to share if you don't want to).

My degree from U of I is from the law school, which was too good of an opportunity to pass up over my dislike for their sports teams.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
My dad graduated from Iowa state and I grew up going to sporting events. I only considered going to iowa State.

A couple of funny things though. I had a high school guidance counselor tell me in 1996 that Iowa state only had an Ag business program. I knew I wanted to major in business. I spent a couple of hours worried that I’d have to go to UNI ;). I find it amusing that someone whose job it is to advise high school kids on this could be wrong. Second since I grew up in NE Iowa, you really couldn’t get Iowa state football on the radio. So one of my earliest memories is listening to iowa football games on WMT with Ron Gonder and frosty Mitchell with my mom. We’d sit in a rocking chair and sing the iowa fight song.

Reactions: Angie and MJ29

nwiafan

Dec 22, 2008
Hawarden
Grew up in Ames and was raised a Cyclone fan by my dad who didn't attend ISU, he became a fan when his brother went to ISU in the 60's. Looking at getting my Masters at ISU so I can consider myself an alumni and shed this awful Tavern Clone moniker!

Reactions: Angie and pulse

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron