Friday OT #2 - Acts of Service

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Youth sports coaching. I'm bad at it, but I'm amazed at how few parents actually will do it, even for kids at really young ages where specialized knowledge of the game doesn't really matter at all.
I had parents complain about Tball one year. Nobody would help me (it was all volunteer) and they wanted skills type stuff like I had done in the past. I couldn't do anything but play games since there was only one of me. Every day I would yell and ask if there were any other parents that would help, all sat in their lawn chairs.

I one time had another football coach barking with a parent from in the stands from the other team. Had to tell him a coach doesn't do that crap. It is bad out there.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
What sport? I had a cousin years ago who started a community soccer league and needed coaches. Never played soccer in my life but I took a team. Still feel bad for those kids.

I've done soccer and teeball/baseball but my kids gave up on both of those right around the time when I would have stepped out of coaching, as I didn't feel I knew the game well enough to teach beyond the basics. Flag football, basketball, and most recently tackle football.

I'm probably not as bad as I think I am but it's really hard to come up with engaging yet productive drills to occupy kids during practice so you can actually teach them something. And I always fear I'm not breaking the game down in simple enough terms that they can understand.

This alone should qualify someone for sainthood. Even in the lower elementary grades, some parents are huge jerks and expect their children's teams to be able to compete at the pro level. If they can't (because they're 8 or whatever), there are so many parents who aren't afraid to ***** at the coach about it.
I had parents complain about Tball one year. Nobody would help me (it was all volunteer) and they wanted skills type stuff like I had done in the past. I couldn't do anything but play games since there was only one of me. Every day I would yell and ask if there were any other parents that would help, all sat in their lawn chairs.

I one time had another football coach barking with a parent from in the stands from the other team. Had to tell him a coach doesn't do that crap. It is bad out there.

I will say that my coaching "career" has been mostly free of the horror stories I hear about. Most parents are content to let coaches coach. Occasionally I have some issues with the way kids treat their teammates, opponents, officials, and occasionally even their own coaches. I could go off on a separate tangent about how wrong I think it is that people think taunting in college and pro sports is okay. Some other day, maybe.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
My favorite volunteering act was when I was younger and pushing snow for a job. We would usually start at about 2:00 AM and our boss gave us a breakfast break at about 5:30. We would go grab breakfast from Casey's or Kwik Star and go push snow out of a random old person's driveway/sidewalk on our break. We were corny and called it "blessing and breakfast" and we had a lot of fun with it.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I've done soccer and teeball/baseball but my kids gave up on both of those right around the time when I would have stepped out of coaching, as I didn't feel I knew the game well enough to teach beyond the basics. Flag football, basketball, and most recently tackle football.

I'm probably not as bad as I think I am but it's really hard to come up with engaging yet productive drills to occupy kids during practice so you can actually teach them something. And I always fear I'm not breaking the game down in simple enough terms that they can understand.

Yeah practices were rough. Did as much research as I could on drills but having never played soccer I was clueless. Sad to think how much I probably stunted their growth as players.

• Funny

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Youth sports coaching. I'm bad at it, but I'm amazed at how few parents actually will do it, even for kids at really young ages where specialized knowledge of the game doesn't really matter at all.

I was a flag football ref back in high school. Got a free membership to the Y as pay. After the 2nd week the other refs stopped showing up because of the BS from coaches and fans. This was 3rd grade football

Decided at that point that I'm never getting involved with youth sports again.

I have done some volunteer work for a local food bank. Plan on doing more once COVID settles down.

Reactions: Angie

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah practices were rough. Did as much research as I could on drills but having never played soccer I was clueless. Sad to think how much I probably stunted their growth as players.

Nah, don't do that to yourself. I don't know soccer well either but until they're in at least...I don't know, first grade?...90% of it is teaching them the most basic rules of the game and keeping them from clumping together in a giant mass chasing the ball.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Nah, don't do that to yourself. I don't know soccer well either but until they're in at least...I don't know, first grade?...90% of it is teaching them the most basic rules of the game and keeping them from clumping together in a giant mass chasing the ball.

Yeah they were young enough it was mostly about having fun and not getting anyone hurt.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Masonic Lodge picks up, sorts, and redeem cans. Money goes to local school needs(trips, books, equipment, and club needs. In addition to local scholarships and charities, it comes to an additional$400 to $500 a month.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I help moderate quiz bowl tournaments for high school and college students on Saturdays.

I used to play it quite a bit, so this gives back to the younger nerds and for the people who gave up their time for the same purposes when I was a player.

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN
What are your volunteer activities? Any organizations we should donate our time/money to? How are you involved?

We donate to Yellowstone Foundation, Cyclone Gridiron Club and One Spirit (Lakota). One Spirit has many ways to donate including a direct needs - where a family will give specifics for what is needed. http://www.okini.net

We have done quite a bit of volunteering in the past through church, wildlife organizations, community & tourism organizations. My last job was for a non-profit organization involved in revitalizing the downtown. Honestly, we are burnt out and took a step back from all volunteering three years ago.

• Friendly

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
Friends of ours run a Sleep in Heavenly Peace organization in Jones County (Anamosa). They organize a community event where members of the community come together to build beds for kids who sleep on the floor, couch, or don't have their own bed to call "theirs." We started out helping build the beds but then got invited to come along and install a bed with them. The kids get all new bed, mattress, sheets, blankets, comforters, pillows, etc etc the whole works. You can probably imagine the houses they go into but you will never forget the little kids who climbs onto THEIR new bed for the first time and smile at you. Unbelievable life changing moments....for everyone involved.

• Friendly

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Friends of ours run a Sleep in Heavenly Peace organization in Jones County (Anamosa). They organize a community event where members of the community come together to build beds for kids who sleep on the floor, couch, or don't have their own bed to call "theirs." We started out helping build the beds but then got invited to come along and install a bed with them. The kids get all new bed, mattress, sheets, blankets, comforters, pillows, etc etc the whole works. You can probably imagine the houses they go into but you will never forget the little kids who climbs onto THEIR new bed for the first time and smile at you. Unbelievable life changing moments....for everyone involved.
I do that, too! It's awesome! Kudos to you. I do the chapter up here in the Twin Cities.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I am an assistant Scoutmaster in a Boys troop and a Girls troop. I also teach 10 different merit badges and I am an Eagle Scout coordinator for the kids that want to become Eagle Scouts. I also volunteer on Staff for the National Order of the Arrow society (scouting related).

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
My spouse and I do a fair amount of volunteering.

I do a lot of work with Scouts BSA and Order of the Arrow. From local (Asst. Commissioner) to Regional (Conservation Awards) and National (Scout Jamborees). Like @cytor I also staff National Order of the Arrow Conferences and help plan and deliver National Leadership Seminars. My spouse is a Assoc. Section Adviser (OA) and we have a big event this weekend.

I also work with local conservation groups like Indian Creek and Bur Oak, either raising money or donating time.

We also have worked with Leave No Trace (LNT) and delivered training and supported them financially.

We also work with the dog rescue we got our Shiba Inus from, MSIR. We help with transport when we rescue. Haven't quite made the leap to fostering yet.
Shiba_Herd.png

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

Ha, I did that for my kids thru elementary school. Soccer and tee ball, and basketball a bit.

I remember doing soccer for 5 yo. I knew next to nothing about soccer, offered to be an assistant coach, and ended up with my own team because they were desparate. The head guy said "just have them kick the ball around and have fun, then they will come back and play cuz its fun - the skills stuff is not until much later, don't sweat that. just make sure they have fun"

So we did silly fun drills at practice. and they had a blast and the games were just 10 kids within 5 feet of a ball, it looked like a mob kicking an unconscious man to death. But no one cared because there were juice boxes and fruit snacks afterwards. Fun times really.

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
Where are my tree people at!? I’ve donated to the Arbor Day foundation and volunteered with tree planting and stream cleanup events in my hometown.
I also ran a garden at my church as a teenager where we donated most of the produce to a food bank.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I volunteer at a church camp every summer for a week that a couple of friends run. One of my favorite parts of summer every year.

My brother is a HS football coach and I help out when I can. I don’t do a whole lot but I enjoy having something to be a part of during the fall.

If/when I ever have kids I’ll probably coach a sport or two. I think I’ll be a good youth coach just cause I know exactly how not to act going to some of my nieces and nephews sporting events. Some people are crazy

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
My spouse and I do a fair amount of volunteering.

I do a lot of work with Scouts BSA and Order of the Arrow. From local (Asst. Commissioner) to Regional (Conservation Awards) and National (Scout Jamborees). Like @cytor I also staff National Order of the Arrow Conferences and help plan and deliver National Leadership Seminars. My spouse is a Assoc. Section Adviser (OA) and we have a big event this weekend.

I also work with local conservation groups like Indian Creek and Bur Oak, either raising money or donating time.

We also have worked with Leave No Trace (LNT) and delivered training and supported them financially.

We also work with the dog rescue we got our Shiba Inus from, MSIR. We help with transport when we rescue. Haven't quite made the leap to fostering yet.
View attachment 90187

Beautiful doggos.

• Friendly
Reactions: Entropy

Help Support Us

Become a patron