Friday Morning Session

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
It is easier said than done, folks. The reason Iowa is so aggressive is because they are the better wrestlers. Our guys have been the lower seed and can't afford mistakes. If you get too agressive against the big boys, they will eat your lunch. Iowa is a VERY good team this year. I hope you guys don't get too down on ISU because we still have a great opportunity to have a good tourney

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
If you haven't noticed, that is the way Varner always wrestles. It gives him the best opportunity to win. So if you want a national champion, I would say deal with it. Winning is better than losing, period.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
It pains me to no end to say this but I like how Iowa wrestles, they are actually AGGRESSIVE. We seem passive and seem to wait for openings, personally I hate that style. I say be aggressive and go make your points.

Don't worry your not the only one.

I'm actually interested in seeing where CMU is falling in the standings. They're a pretty cool story.

I think CMU is falling today. They have 1 guy as of now in the Semi's. But they may get 2 more and that will help a lot. They have 4 guys currently wrestling on the back side.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I think Iowa is now 5 for 5 in the quarters and 6 for 6 on the day and last I heard they have opened up a 20 point lead. This thing is all but over. This next year is going to be hard hearing all the crap coming out of EIU.

All the Brands being a freaking/bad*** coach will annoy the crap outta me. He was able to combine the best players on two good wrestling programs(1 of them great) onto one team. Of course theyll win.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
All the Brands being a freaking/bad*** coach will annoy the crap outta me. He was able to combine the best players on two good wrestling programs(1 of them great) onto one team. Of course theyll win.

Why do you think people come to ISU to wrestle? To wrestle for a great program, and one of the best amateur wrestlers in history in Cael Sanderson.

Why in the world would Leclere, Borschell and Slaton leave the state of Iowa to go to VT? Not because of their tradition, because of Tom Brands. That's why Metcalf went there, too. That's why they followed him to Iowa. They would have followed him to Ohio State, or anywhere.

This whining about the VT transfer thing is getting old. They are there to wrestle for Brands, who happens to be one of the best amateur wrestlers of all time, as well. It's really starting to sound like sour grapes.

You don't need to go there. You have a great program with a great future.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Bert tied with Herbst 4-4, but Herbst has a ride going late.....Bert loses a tough one. Dang it. I really like that kid.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Why do you think people come to ISU to wrestle? To wrestle for a great program, and one of the best amateur wrestlers in history in Cael Sanderson.

Why in the world would Leclere, Borschell and Slaton leave the state of Iowa to go to VT? Not because of their tradition, because of Tom Brands. That's why Metcalf went there, too. That's why they followed him to Iowa. They would have followed him to Ohio State, or anywhere.

This whining about the VT transfer thing is getting old. They are there to wrestle for Brands, who happens to be one of the best amateur wrestlers of all time, as well. It's really starting to sound like sour grapes.

You don't need to go there. You have a great program with a great future.

I didnt mean to come off as saying Brands is a bad coach, he's shown he's good.

What i meant was how some Iowa wrestling fans will be talking about how ferocious/intense/an animal he is on the side of the mat. Theyll think Hawkeye wrestling is back simply because of that. Being a psycho on the side of the mat doesnt win matches. Its whats done in practice.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
What i meant was how some Iowa wrestling fans will be talking about how ferocious/intense/an animal he is on the side of the mat. Theyll think Hawkeye wrestling is back simply because of that. Being a psycho on the side of the mat doesnt win matches. Its whats done in practice.

The truth of the matter is that this program is wrestling in a totally different fashion than it did during the Zalesky era. It's a return to that old ferocious and attacking style they had under Gable. And there is one reason for that; Tom Brands. And the kids he recruits have a penchant to want to wrestle that way.

So while I understand that you don't like the hyperbole, it's accurate. Brands is as psycho in practice and on the side of the mat. And you can see it in his wrestlers.

Look at Phil Keddy...he might be the move improved wrestler in the nation...and it's clearly due to the Brands influence.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The biggest reason I don't want Iowa to win is I can't stand to watching Brands gloat and brag all over the place.

kccyclone

Oct 23, 2006
Olathe, KS
This has been one rough session for us. Only sending one on in the Championship Bracket was not what I expected. Hopefully we can rebound on the consolation side. No shot for first, but we can still place well and hopefully have six All-Americans.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
quote]

Sour grapes huh. Actually its the Iowa fans who have sour grapes regarding what VT did by not releasing them and making them sit out a year. I know kids go to certain school because of coaches, but when the kid signs the letter of intent it is a binding contract with the University and not the coach. So if you want to follow a coach when he leaves then you pay the price for breaking the signed contract.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
For how bad this round looked the only match that I was truly disappointed in the outcome was Fanthorpe's match. Really like the effort that Bert has given all tournament.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Sorry if it has already been posted, but is there a site I can go to that will give updates?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

It's just a matter of class and the ethical standards of the coach. When GMac came to ISU, he told his players at UNI to honor their committments TO THE SCHOOL. Brands, being the completely classless individual that he is, told the kids (whether it be directly or indirectly) to screw their committments to VT and follow him to Iowa.

So in summary, we have :

GMac == Class

Brands == No Class

Simple enough for ya, JonDMiller???

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
It's just a matter of class and the ethical standards of the coach. When GMac came to ISU, he told his players at UNI to honor their committments TO THE SCHOOL. Brands, being the completely classless individual that he is, told the kids to screw their committments to VT and follow him to Iowa.

So in summary, we have :

GMac == Class

Brands == No Class

Simple enough for ya, JonDMiller???

GMac == basketball

Brands == Wrestling

Apples and oranges. Simple enough for ya jbhtexas???

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Check out www.intermatwrestle.com mwitt. There are updated brackets somewhere in there, but I don't have the time to find them myself, sorry.

Wow, there are some sour grapes here today. We had some very tough match ups today, and Iowa has the better wrestlers. Period. All this talk about VT -> Iowa wrestlers is absurd in it's own right. I'm sure all of you would have whined just as much if Chizik brought 4 or 5 of his Texas players up to Ames with him too, right?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron