Frank Martin Suspended....

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've always had kind of a soft spot for old Frank. He was nice to Iowa State when he was at Kansas State (granted, Iowa State sucked for a lot of those years, but still...). Plus I think he is kind of like a cartoon character. I mean you could not draw up someone who looks like they are a member of the mob if you tried.

But there's obviously a line that needs to be drawn and I am sure Frank is over that line more than he should be.

And this brings up a question that I have no answer for. Why doesn't every basketball player want to come play for Hoiberg?

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
You would be about the only one making the argument that they were better than expected, at best they met extremely low expectations but you can't sell going 4-13 in a bad SEC as overachieving. I doubt Martin ever wins an NCAA tournament game there.
I wouldn't be the only one, but I doubt you spend much time on Carolina message boards. Expectations were pretty low for this year, and lowered even more when Ellington declared. People on this board said the same things when he took over at Kstate.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I wouldn't be the only one, but I doubt you spend much time on Carolina message boards. Expectatio. were pretty low for this year, and lowered even more when Ellington declared. People on this board said the same things when he took over at Kstate.
I'm sure South Carolina message boards are filled with lots of football and baseball talk and very little basketball talk. Not much fan support for that program.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It should be noted that the current AD didn't hire him so the whole "you should have known what you're getting" doesn't apply. I like the guy and I think his players love him. LeBatard made a good point that when he yells guys are listening and it's not a big deal because they understand his style whereas a guy like Huggins yells and his guys yell back at him. Frank's a classy guy in my opinion and I think he really cares about his guys. His style is just different.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
I'm sure South Carolina message boards are filled with lots of football and baseball talk and very little basketball talk. Not much fan support for that program.
So there is very little fan support but expectations were high? I am not sure I follow that logic. And about 90% of the posters on the Carolina rivals board thing that the suspension was over the top.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
So there is very little fan support but expectations were high? I am not sure I foll. that logic. And about 90% of the posters on the Carolina rivals board thing that the suspension was over the top.
Who said expectations were high? They didnt have to be high to be disappointed by going 4-13 in a bad SEC. Not sure why you're getting all butt hurt and trying to argue that they had a good season.

mctallerton

Apr 4, 2006
Who said expectations were high? They didnt have to be high to be disappointed by going 4-13 in a bad SEC. Not sure why you're getting all butt hurt and trying to argue that they had a good season.
I am not arguing they are having a good season, they were picked to finish 13th in the league and they are 13th in the league. I would say that is meeting expectations. I claimed expectations were not high for this year, you claimed they didn't meet expectations. I don't know what your beef is with Martin but he is a good coach and is in on some pretty good talent. His class last year was on par with ours and right now his class this year is better than ours.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Swearing and swearing at someone are two different thingd.

Saying that was a shi**y play and bad decision is different that saying "you're a piece of ****"

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Seeing as former coach Darren Horn told most of the would be returning players to transfer before last year, him having 8 freshman on the team, and not having Bruce Ellington return to the team this year (declared for NFL draft), I would say he has done better than expected this year. Give him another year or two and Carolina will be at the level Kstate was at when he left.

You would be about the only one making the argument that they were better than expected, at best they met extremely low expectations but you can't sell going 4-13 in a bad SEC as overachieving. I doubt Martin ever wins an NCAA tournament game there.

I am not arguing they are having a good season, they were picked to finish 13th in the league and they are 13th in the league. I would say that is meeting expectations. I claimed expectations were not high for this year, you claimed they didn't meet expectations. I don't know what your beef is with Martin but he is a good coach and is in on some pretty good talent. His class last year was on par with ours and right now his class this year is better than ours.

Think you need to reread your posts bro, you're the one trying to make the argument that they exceeded expectations. And looking at previews it looks like a lot of people had them picked higher than 13th. I don't have any "beef" with Frank Martin, but the fact is he's 8-27 in the SEC. Not sure why your on his **** so much.

College Basketball Conference Previews: SEC - CBSSports.com

Help Support Us

Become a patron