Frank Hoiberg

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Man people can get outraged over anything, I interchange my two sons names on occasion, it happens, they aren't trying to slight you, chill out people.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Just a couple thoughts:

1. Speaking as a guy with a background in video production with the Big Ten Network, those guys aren't reading off of a teleprompter, it is impromptu banter between analysts. The only time a teleprompter would be used is for the anchor to lead in and out of segments with.

2. The difference between your mistakes and their mistakes is that yours can be caught and corrected before you turn it in for public consumption. There's are immediately broadcast across the country. I've made a couple typos just in writing this post that I caught and corrected with nobody any the wiser (until now).

3. I would be willing to bet Jay always called him Hoiberg when they played together, not Fred (or Frank).

Good points, however, saying Frank Hoiberg and immediately correcting yourself to Fred Hoiberg is equivalent to a typo. Saying Frank Hoiberg and letting it stand is not equivalent to a typo, it is a mistake that you publish to your audience.

One mistake like that getting through isn't a big deal, it happens. When you have that coupled with the starting lineup snafu - okay, they made a mistake with the graphic but then not catching it when the center jump is a guy not on that lineup and continuing to say the guy was off the bench - and with continually calling man to man defense with switches on the perimeter screens a matchup zone, you have to expect that the mounting screw-ups are going to result in a hit to your credibility.

That is a terrible sentence. Mrs. Evans would be so displeased...

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Good points, however, saying Frank Hoiberg and immediately correcting yourself to Fred Hoiberg is equivalent to a typo. Saying Frank Hoiberg and letting it stand is not equivalent to a typo, it is a mistake that you publish to your audience.

One mistake like that getting through isn't a big deal, it happens. When you have that coupled with the starting lineup snafu - okay, they made a mistake with the graphic but then not catching it when the center jump is a guy not on that lineup and continuing to say the guy was off the bench - and with continually calling man to man defense with switches on the perimeter screens a matchup zone, you have to expect that the mounting screw-ups are going to result in a hit to your credibility.

That is a terrible sentence. Mrs. Evans would be so displeased...

Correcting yourself in the middle of the broadcast or a speech isn't the proper way to handle that mistake though, you just draw attention to it. Your supposed to just keep moving past it and use the correct name/statement/fact the next time.

I think the biggest thing with this is that we feel it happens to ISU all the time because we are very familiar with our team and everything. They could have made several mistakes regarding Alabama last night and I wouldn't have been the wiser because I not as familiar with them. And that is why you don't stop to acknowledge the mistake, because a small percentage of people will catch it, but most casual viewers won't.