Fran McCaffery and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Transfer Portal

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I think we're seeing the appreciation for teams playing defense so it'll be interesting where PMac lands.
Dudes been thru a lot. Time to enjoy the last of it. And being away from his family is probably a good thing.
Wonder if he'll land at a mid tier ACC team.
This! kid beat cancer, he has had other challenges. I hope he goes somewhere and has a great final year

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They can’t afford that.
They can't afford not to. Even modest excitement or hope, let alone actual success would let Iowa recover that buyout easily in attendance, donations, merch, etc.

The way the interest in that program has tanked, that's a pretty easy ROI to hit.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm guessing he's referencing Game of Thrones.
Lol! Ringing endorsement for recruits. Hey, remember the wall in Game of Thrones and how they send criminals and bastards to serve the Knights Watch because it's so awful no one else will do it? They serve for life, and then when you die at the funeral they say "His watch has ended." like it's a good thing they no longer have to live this miserable existence? Yeah, finishing your time with Iowa basketball is basically the same.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It's a different era. The NIL situation of any P5 school is going to be near the top of the list for questions asked by any potential hire for any job now.

And you can't say, "it will improve if we hire you."

Iowa's collective needs to start putting big money now into Fran's program or they are hurting their options with the next one.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
It's a different era. The NIL situation of any P5 school is going to be near the top of the list for questions asked by any potential hire for any job now.

And you can't say, "it will improve if we hire you."

Iowa's collective needs to start putting big money now into Fran's program or they are hurting their options with the next one.
Would Fran even know what to do with the allocated funds? It is already public information that the Men's Basketball recruiting budget outdoes even Kaptain Kirk and the football program. And the results are Brock Harding from 50 miles down I80. I think Fran is just in over his head in the recruiting aspect of the game and has been for several years, maybe the entire time he's been at Iowa honestly.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Would Fran even know what to do with the allocated funds? It is already public information that the Men's Basketball recruiting budget outdoes even Kaptain Kirk and the football program. And the results are Brock Harding from 50 miles down I80. I think Fran is just in over his head in the recruiting aspect of the game and has been for several years, maybe the entire time he's been at Iowa honestly.

It honestly doesn't matter how he uses it. Everyone understands Fran has about run out of runway. Maybe they get lucky and hit on somebody but just shelling out $$$. The real deal is anybody looking at that job prospectively sees a place where fans don't show up and donors haven't stepped up to get NIL help to players. You really want to try and sell any hot shot coach with options on Iowa City when that's the way things are?

Option B is a hire that Goetz suspects isn't the guy but can build the foundation and you make a play on a better coach when the support starts to return. MLB does this all the time, but it's not that easy to do with the way coaches salaries are funded now. Can she tell Fran he won't be getting any more extensions, but they will work with Swarm to get him $4m to go out with the best team he can build? I'm not sure that works. They're kinda stuck.

It's never been easier to rebuild quickly, but anyone capable of doing that isn't going to even look at Iowa the way it currently is.

Last edited:

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
They can’t even afford to give MBB any NIL money apparently, they’re not going to have funds for that buyout.
How can they possibly get by on a measly $70+ million annual media payout??

Actually, when you compare Ath Dept budgets, Iowa should be embarrassed every time they get beat by Iowa State in any sport.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I know nothing about GOT but it’s very similar to the “last radio call” used for LEOs killed in the line of duty.
I'm sure it is. I'm just saying that the context that the kid in his early twenties is using it in while discussing transferring, is probably referencing Game of Thrones and not dead policemen.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Honestly, that is probably a result of Kirk playing a shell game with his budget.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Fran defenders are convinced ISU has one of the biggest NIL in the country and they just buy any player they want. It's both sad and hilarious.
The reality of what their program is, and the smoke and mirrors that Fran was able to subsist on for the last few years, is really smacking them in the face.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
If that's the book on Iowa in coaching circles, they're going to have a very hard time getting anyone with a proven track record to replace Fran
It's even better than that -- they'll become a coaching tryout mill similar to a low or mid major, then if they do find somebody actually good, they'll get poached from Iowa to go coach at a real school that tries.

Reactions: exCYtable

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron