Fran gets contract extension !!!

Aug 26, 2014
I've been working a new job, really busy, so I haven't been around here too much. But I had to log on today and read about all of this. It's like waking up at Christmas and finding a BMW in the driveway. Iowa basketball is going to be horrible and not make the tournament for a MINIMUM of 3 more years! It's going to be so fun to make fun of that dumpster fire year after year! Between the football coach in serious decline, and having the worst power 5 basketball coach locked in, Barta has ensured this is going to be a Cyclone State for a long time to come!!!!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I'm sure the plan was to wrap this all up quietly over the summer, but then Barta got sick, so they were probably waiting for a big MBB win to validate it was a good idea, and the waited and waited, and waited until they blew out a bad WI team.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wonder what else they will give out to attend a game? If they give out free pizza to all, I could buy cheap tickets (why buy expensive, you can just move down after tip off, just don't knock their books over) and watch a Purdue or Michigan come in. Wear cardinal of course.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm sure the plan was to wrap this all up quietly over the summer, but then Barta got sick, so they were probably waiting for a big MBB win to validate it was a good idea, and the waited and waited, and waited until they blew out a bad WI team.
The information came out because a reporter filed an FOIA for the info I believe. Not 100% certain, but it was definitely some digging by journalists that brought it to light.

• Agree
Reactions: DSMCy

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
The information came out because a reporter filed an FOIA for the info I believe. Not 100% certain, but it was definitely some digging by journalists that brought it to light.
Yep. By all accounts, Barta wanted to keep this quiet for as long as he could.

• Useful
Reactions: tzjung

kcdc4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Why were they trying to hide this great new extension? They just tied up the best coach possible.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
hqdefault.jpg

You had a coach for 8 years. You named him Fran.
You LOVED Fran. But then you realized he sucked.
You'd been through everything together. 3 NIT's, 2 NCAA's and a Play-In game. You're like, "Who can we get to replace FRAN?"
But then Gary Barta gives him a secret extension, guaranteeing that he'll be coach for a long, long time.
And then Cyclone fans break into their Happy Dance!

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
1. Why did Iowa not announce this? In almost every single case of a collegiate coach getting an extension, the university has proudly announced it. If you like the work someone is doing, you reward them.

2. I wonder what Iowa (Barta) likes about the job Fran is doing? Recruiting? meh....he's had some nice pieces here and there. Development? No. Improving as the year goes? Quite the opposite. Putting butts in seats? Clearly not. Is Barta hinging this all on Patrick McCaffrey and Joe Wieskamp?

3. Even the Iowa bias media thinks this is quite odd/awkward/unncessary.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
This is an unreal contract for Fran. It's terrible for Iowa. Not sure what Barta was thinking.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Yep. By all accounts, Barta wanted to keep this quiet for as long as he could.

I'm pretty sure Prohm signed his extension during the season and it didn't get announced until a few months later.

The difference was that he was winning basketball games.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
1. Why did Iowa not announce this? In almost every single case of a collegiate coach getting an extension, the university has proudly announced it. If you like the work someone is doing, you reward them.

2. I wonder what Iowa (Barta) likes about the job Fran is doing? Recruiting? meh....he's had some nice pieces here and there. Development? No. Improving as the year goes? Quite the opposite. Putting butts in seats? Clearly not. Is Barta hinging this all on Patrick McCaffrey and Joe Wieskamp?

3. Even the Iowa bias media thinks this is quite odd/awkward/unncessary.

Because they didn't want the backlash

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The problem is, none of you are visionaries. Fran's building this program the #rightway and doing that is sort of like building a tower. Now, Lickliter dug a nice hole for the foundation, and Fran started building on it. He got a couple floors on, had a few nice features, but realized he wanted to build this tower really tall. The foundation wasn't nearly deep enough for what he had planned. He's going to have to dig this hole deep.

You'll all see. Iowa's going to be a perennial Final Four contender and multiple Big10 Championships are on the way. Fran just needs time to get his kind of players on the roster. His current recruits were barely in middle school when he took the helm. You have to allow time for the culture to grow. Rome wasn't built in a day, you know.

• Informative
Reactions: srjclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The problem is, none of you are visionaries. Fran's building this program the #rightway and doing that is sort of like building a tower. Now, Lickliter dug a nice hole for the foundation, and Fran started building on it. He got a couple floors on, had a few nice features, but realized he wanted to build this tower really tall. The foundation wasn't nearly deep enough for what he had planned. He's going to have to dig this hole deep.

You'll all see. Iowa's going to be a perennial Final Four contender and multiple Big10 Championships are on the way. Fran just needs time to get his kind of players on the roster. His current recruits were barely in middle school when he took the helm. You have to allow time for the culture to grow. Rome wasn't built in a day, you know.

I agree Fran is slowing building it, the secret that others don't understand right now that the best recruiter and coaches are in his house right now. He just needs to get the boys through HS, college and in the Europe circuit a couple years. When that is done, he will bring them home and finish the monster.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If this was really made in November, it's Iowa fans who are largely to blame for calling this team an NCAA lock for absolutely no good reason. Their ceiling this year was always bubble team and their floor would be the worst P5 team if Cook got injured.

The lesson is don't inflate expectations for an entire season unless you're actually bringing back All Conference players, proven top level transfers, and top 50 recruits. Especially in a state where all the local media are irrational homers for your cause.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I don't specifically remember this, but looks to me like it was announced.

http://www.amestrib.com/sports/20170324/mens-basketball-prohm-gets-extension-and-raise
Yes, it was announced by the University, but the contract extension had actually been negotiated and signed several months prior to the formal announcement.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...state-basketball-contract-extension/99507686/

Edit: this was more an amendment, where the only thing that changed was that one year was added. No change to buyout or salary.

Last edited:

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The lesson is don't inflate expectations for an entire season unless you're actually bringing back All Conference players, proven top level transfers, and top 50 recruits. Especially in a state where all the local media are irrational homers for your cause.

Also: If the coach isn't known for developing players or getting the most out of his roster.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Pure brilliance on Fran's part...

1. Sign contract extension until 2023 with huge buyout clause
2. Eliminate any point guards with a pulse
3. Bring in your own children to play the point guard position
4. All but guarantees your kids start at the point guard position until 2023
5. Bring in $2.3M per year and your children attend college for free

Honestly, you can't fault Fran...all he did was say yes. Talk about getting an A+ on your salesperson ABC's.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron