Forth Worth newspaper: TCU and Houston were close/will be invited to PAC12

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Yeah I get how this works. The factors that were important for building conferences in the early to mid 1900s are not the same as in 2021. And the factors have changed in a way that is bad for us. But they might still change again to make them better for us than they were in say 2010 when TV network carriage fees in big markets was king.
It was about getting people to pay for your product regardless of if you were consuming the product. No one actually cared if people watched Rutgers or Maryland football. Cordcutting changed that and allows consumers more control over what they pay for when consuming.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Anything over 8 wins donations don't drop. The donors that donate the big $$$$, remember how things used to be and are with ISU for the long haul.

probably already mentioned, but donations IMO also depend on perceived power 5 status. As long as remain at that table, donations should stay high(er). I would expect a sizable drop off if we ever found ourselves in a Group of 5 setting.

Reactions: Cyclones1969

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I don't believe the PAC was close to adding UH & TCU. I think someone is putting it out there to bolster their school's image.

Honestly, I don't think any of the remaining 8 had/have offers to the other 4 leagues. Why? ESPN could have placed all 8 schools in the ACC & PAC and maybe two to the SEC if they needed or possibly one spill over to the B1G. The remaining 8 schools would have taken placement in an existing P4 with long term contracts or a handshake of what the PAC upcoming deal would have been in lieu of exit fees and any GOR guarantee of the last two years OU & UT leave.

Part of the revenues needed to pay everyone could have been paid by conference networks getting carriage in Texas if you put Baylor/TCU/WVU in the ACC and TT/OSU and maybe UH in the PAC. In this scenario the PAC either takes a 4 team group of TT/OSU/UH/KSU and if its 6 teams KU & ISU. If 6 are too many, I could see where the SEC could have been convinced to take KU & ISU. Maybe the B1G could have taken KU & Colorado and ISU was #6 in the PAC.

If the other leagues were at all considering the remaining 8 schools, then ESPN/FOX don't have to give Cincy, UCF, UH a big raise(although UH may have moved up due to the Houston mkt) and BYU also costs more. The only way these schools and possibly 2-4 more getting a big raise is if 72-80 schools are forming a new division 1 and there are no more games against FCS schools or current G5 that don't make the cut. Meaning they need the inventory of games and the value of better games is worth that to the networks. Its also possible some schools with budget problems or future concerns of NIL ramifications or even more controversial things coming up like players as university employers want to exit the top tier. Schools like WF, BC, Vandy, WSU, Oregon St., Cal are just a few. Some feel if players are classified as employees some schools that might surprise you will even move down.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis and Gorm

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I don't believe the PAC was close to adding UH & TCU. I think someone is putting it out there to bolster their school's image.

Honestly, I don't think any of the remaining 8 had/have offers to the other 4 leagues. Why? ESPN could have placed all 8 schools in the ACC & PAC and maybe two to the SEC if they needed or possibly one spill over to the B1G. The remaining 8 schools would have taken placement in an existing P4 with long term contracts or a handshake of what the PAC upcoming deal would have been in lieu of exit fees and any GOR guarantee of the last two years OU & UT leave.

Part of the revenues needed to pay everyone could have been paid by conference networks getting carriage in Texas if you put Baylor/TCU/WVU in the ACC and TT/OSU and maybe UH in the PAC. In this scenario the PAC either takes a 4 team group of TT/OSU/UH/KSU and if its 6 teams KU & ISU. If 6 are too many, I could see where the SEC could have been convinced to take KU & ISU. Maybe the B1G could have taken KU & Colorado and ISU was #6 in the PAC.

If the other leagues were at all considering the remaining 8 schools would be ESPN/FOX don't have to give Cincy, UCF, UH a big raise(although UH may have moved up due to the Houston mkt) and BYU also costs more. The only way these schools and possibly 2-4 more getting a big raise is if 72-80 schools are forming a new division 1 and there are no more games against FCS schools or current G5 that don't make the cut. Meaning they need the inventory of games and the value of better games is worth that to the networks. Its also possible some schools with budget problems or future concerns of NIL ramifications or even more controversial things coming up like players as university employers want to exit the top tier. Schools like WF, BC, Vandy, WSU, Oregon St., Cal are just a few. Some feel if players are classified as employees some schools that might surprise you will even move down.

I agree, wanting Houston over TTU or Okie St makes little sense to me. Or possible either one of the Kansas schools.

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I agree, wanting Houston over TTU or Okie St makes little sense to me. Or possible either one of the Kansas schools.

Actually, I can see Houston because its in a big city and PAC Network carriage in Texas when paired with TT. I still think its better with an addition of 4 including OSU. I don't buy the idea of just TCU & UH, and I think TCU is at best the 4th spot once you realize Gary Patterson can't coach forever.

But if ESPN didn't pony up to dissolve the league to move OU & UT, the other conferences didn't want to add the remaining 8 it seems to me. I don't buy the idea the B1G, PAC and ESPECIALLY the ACC are giving winks to the remaining 8 for spots later on after they make ESPN pay.

Reactions: KnappShack

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Actually, I can see Houston because its in a big city and PAC Network carriage in Texas when paired with TT. I still think its better with an addition of 4 including OSU. I don't buy the idea of just TCU & UH, and I think TCU is at best the 4th spot once you realize Gary Patterson can't coach forever.

But if ESPN didn't pony up to dissolve the league to move OU & UT, the other conferences didn't want to add the remaining 8 it seems to me. I don't buy the idea the B1G, PAC and ESPECIALLY the ACC are giving winks to the remaining 8 for spots later on after they make ESPN pay.

I think Baylor, BYU, Cincy and TCU have permanent resting place in whatever current B12 evolves into...maybe KSU too as unfair as it is. KSU is basically in the situation we'd be in if Iowa and ISU were both Big 12 teams and ISU was no longer an AAU school like voters have been begging for but Iowa was still an AAU school.

KU, OKSt, Tech, Houston, ISU, WVU and even UCF probably all have a "wait and see" rational for B1G/ACC/SEC/PAC depending on how the wind blows.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
SIAP, but if there were some truth to these rumors, and further let's play along and say that Houston is invited prior to actually starting play in the Big 12, what financial penalties to the Big 12 would Houston be subject to? Having been invited and having accepted that invitation, I have to think they are subject to some penalty should they now 'leave' the conference. IIRC, TCU was set to join the Big East prior to the Big 12 invite, and had to pay the Big East to break that deal - even though they never actually played a game in the Big East. I may be mis-remembering, but if this is the case, why would Houston accept the Big 12 invite if they have the intention to move to the PAC?

Win5002

Apr 20, 2010
I think Baylor, BYU, Cincy and TCU have permanent resting place in whatever current B12 evolves into...maybe KSU too as unfair as it is. KSU is basically in the situation we'd be in if Iowa and ISU were both Big 12 teams and ISU was no longer an AAU school like voters have been begging for but Iowa was still an AAU school.

KU, OKSt, Tech, Houston, ISU, WVU and even UCF probably all have a "wait and see" rational for B1G/ACC/SEC/PAC depending on how the wind blows.

Unless, the leagues are waiting to see who might drop out due to NIL regulations and future issues like players being employees I don't see it.

Its mentioned by most the league could have dissolved with 8 of the 10 voting to do that if only Baylor & KSU are stuck. If that's true they could have done that now. Why bring in the new schools to have to compete with later for spots to move? Why negotiate a new deal in two years and elevate pay for UH, UCF, Cincy & BYU? None of it seems to make sense.

I think the comments by Bowlsby the league could go to 14 or 16, point towards OOC scheduling with the other leagues. If the B12 is part of the alliance 14 makes sense. If its with the SEC 16? Maybe the alliance has gotten its point across about the playoffs and the 5 leagues break off from all other schools and only play games among themselves going forward and because all of the games are elevated its what helps the B12 get paid and even at higher numbers of teams.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Like you said, big donors are always there.

the growth was in first time donors, and larger donations from smaller donors.

what happens at 9-4/8-5 and the camping world bowl. Two years ago, cyclone pages on Facebook were full of upset people because Iowa State only won 7 games.

If this group loses 3 or 4 more games this year, with the conference demotion in the offing, look out

Fair weather fans whatever, the extra income is nice. Long term fans stay with the Cyclones through the good and the bad.

Simon Conway was trying to stir the pot saying the L to Iowa was going to cause Campbell problems. If we can stay competitive in whatever version of the B12 we are in, Campbell will have a job in Ames for as long as he wants to stay.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Fair weather fans whatever, the extra income is nice. Long term fans stay with the Cyclones through the good and the bad.

Simon Conway was trying to stir the pot saying the L to Iowa was going to cause Campbell problems. If we can stay competitive in whatever version of the B12 we are in, Campbell will have a job in Ames for as long as he wants to stay.
Conway listens to Peterson who is a hawk shill so don’t take his words.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Conway listens to Peterson who is a hawk shill so don’t take his words.

He's just a pot stirrer, he's damn good at it. He is the kid in school that goads the other kids into a fight or doing something stupid and they get in trouble, while he stands back and laughs.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021

I don’t know who Simon Conway is , but this won’t bother Campbell other than losing the opportunity and disappointing the fans.

it will be interesting to see if he chooses the path of long term here, or, if a new challenge will be what he needs if there isn’t enough here to make him feel he can win enough to satisfy his competitiveness

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Has Condon offered his expert analysis of the Big 12 lately?

Gilbyone

Nov 8, 2020
The P12 is afraid that we might pick off their 4 Mountain time zone schools.

As most of their schools are in the Pacific time zone, they have poor national tv coverage for their games.

Reactions: 3rdCoastClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The P12 is afraid that we might pick off their 4 Mountain time zone schools.

As most of their schools are in the Pacific time zone, they have poor national tv coverage for their games.
There are only 2 Mountain time zone teams in the PAC.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron