Formula One starts this weekend, am I the only fan?

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
I'm watching for sure. Hopefully the season will be better than last year, competition wise. A couple story lines to watch: Will Honda finally break through? Is this the last year for Williams? They look lost and defeated already. Can Haas overtake Racing Point? What about LeClerc? Can he beat Vettel?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Love F1 and most forms of racing in general. I just wish they could figure out a way to have more than one or two teams compete for a race win, let aloneî for a championship.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
As someone who doesn't have much experience with F1 but does find it really interesting the Netflix series Drive to Survive was a really good watch.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
As someone who doesn't have much experience with F1 but does find it really interesting the Netflix series Drive to Survive was a really good watch.

Just started watching this last night and would definitely agree. Only a couple episodes in but, has been an interesting watch.

• Agree
Reactions: 3TrueFans

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I've been trying to keep up with what's happening so far, watched the race this weekend and was gutted for Leclerc. Seems like a genuine kid and he definitely deserved to win if it weren't for the car troubles. The radio calls after he lost power he just sounded so bummed.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
Sounds like I missed a good one. Kind of reminded me of the first episode in Drive to Survive and the total failure that was Haas' first couple races.

I missed the Australian GP as well. Finally downloaded the season schedule to my Calendar so shouldn't miss another one. Plus with it on ESPN now I should be able to record the early races with Youtube TV.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
A bit of musical chairs going on the last few days for the 2021 seats.

Vettel will leave Ferrari, Sainz to Ferrari, Ricciardo to McLaren.

^This is a bit hyperbolic and obviously we still have 2020 to play through (hopefully), but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: CyJeans

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What year is it when they have essentially salary caps?

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
A bit of musical chairs going on the last few days for the 2021 seats.

Vettel will leave Ferrari, Sainz to Ferrari, Ricciardo to McLaren.

^This is a bit hyperbolic and obviously we still have 2020 to play through (hopefully), but it will be interesting to see what happens.

I love Ricciardo to McLaren, it is probably because of Drive to Survive on Netflix but I can't watch Cyril and not see him as a villain. I am glad to see Sainz getting a shot too. I will be curious to see what Vettel does and who Renault goes after for the open seat.

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
The Netflix series got me into, have been a dirt and Nascar fan entire life. F1 still doesnt have enough passing though.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The Netflix series got me into, have been a dirt and Nascar fan entire life. F1 still doesnt have enough passing though.

I think you just need to like ignore the top 4. I'm the same way. I actually lived with a guy in college back in 2000 who was a huge F1 fan. Just massive, it worked on the F1 car at ISU, just was his dream to be part of one of these teams. I could never get into it, but Drive to Survive is just so dang compelling I watch a few races each year now.

I agree I'm happy for Sainz. Just would be so tough following in the footsteps of your dad who is a legend. With LeClerc and Sainz that's a pretty young group of drivers for Ferrari too. Didn't they get hit with some scandal late last year too?

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
2021 I believe
Correct, was $175M but I think it changed to $145M. I think it was Norris that had a quote about how a cap should help establish some parity but that it will take a few years for the rest of the pack to still make up the lost ground. Pretty sure Ferrari was pushing back on the cap going any lower.

They're holding off on the technical regulations (and keeping the 2020 chassis) for next year though to ease the financial burden with the loss of a few races this year.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I love Ricciardo to McLaren, it is probably because of Drive to Survive on Netflix but I can't watch Cyril and not see him as a villain. I am glad to see Sainz getting a shot too. I will be curious to see what Vettel does and who Renault goes after for the open seat.
I honestly can see why but I have kinda liked the driver line-up at Renault the last few years (started following like 3 months ago on paternity leave when I found the Netflix series like a lot of others lol but have since really dug deep into it with the quarantine).

I think it would have been Ricciardo to Ferrari but Sainz had such a good 2019. Both have earned their spots (I still could see Ricciardo at a top 3 team but hopefully he'll be much more competitive at McLaren than he could be at Renault).

Last edited:

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I think the introduction of the DRS over the last 10 years have also helped to alleviate that some. There can be stale points, but it's got a lot more in-race action than Formula E from what I've seen.

I've never really watched NASCAR or dirt though so I can't really compare. Probably an unpopular opinion here but ovals just have never really interested me. Although, I've started watching a few Indycar replays over the last few weeks and maybe that'll change my mind.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
Love F1 and most forms of racing in general. I just wish they could figure out a way to have more than one or two teams compete for a race win, let aloneî for a championship.
Agree. Last season I watched each race. (the netflix docs got me hooked)
With the hot start Mer had, and then it was really only them and Ferrari, and the race is usually over by the second corner of the first lap, I found I wasn't paying much attention by the middle of the race.

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
ovals just have never really interested me. .[/QUOTE]
I get that. the track itself is usually not what is attractive to stock car races. For me it is the simple fact that there will be passing. And you really don't know who will win. Or at least will have 10+ more drivers that actually have a chance to win each race.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
A couple FIA approved regulations for 2021 have been confirmed:
1. $145M spending cap.
2. Aerodynamic sliding scale (the lower a team finishes in the constructors' championship, the more time they get in the wind tunnel for development of the next season's car).
3. And a downforce limit (sounds like it's to avoid a new tire compound for next year).

Obviously the intent for 1 and 2 is to create more parity. Surely it makes the race between the top three a little more compelling but I wonder how long it'll take before more parity is actually observed across the board.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ale-rules-for-aero.7Hkn5yOebeUXnCes3v22L.html

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
A couple FIA approved regulations for 2021 have been confirmed:
1. $145M spending cap.
2. Aerodynamic sliding scale (the lower a team finishes in the constructors' championship, the more time they get in the wind tunnel for development of the next season's car).
3. And a downforce limit (sounds like it's to avoid a new tire compound for next year).

Obviously the intent for 1 and 2 is to create more parity. Surely it makes the race between the top three a little more compelling but I wonder how long it'll take before more parity is actually observed across the board.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...ale-rules-for-aero.7Hkn5yOebeUXnCes3v22L.html