Former Texas HC, now assaulter, fired

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
These threads always turn miserable when the cave folks show up.

FWIW it’s often “normies” spout off a political opinion, sometimes a pretty radical view or clearly false info, then one or two cave posters go full ballistic on them. Not sure if that is happening here, but that’s the pattern. Certain posters who don’t frequent the cave genuinely have no idea their own opinions can be hyper partisan political, only an opposing view is political to them.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Thank you. I would add to your final paragraph that the "it's worse to hit a woman" narrative feeds into the idea that men cannot be victims of DA at the hands of female partners. I am not at all suggesting the two happen at the same clip or have the same likelihood of resulting in serious or fatal injuries.

The same crowd doesn't consider any other number of variables of men hitting men, like difference in size or number of participants each of which could result in more traumatic injuries.
The erasure of any distinction of genetic or physiological differences between men and women and looking to tear down protections based upon those distinctions does more harm to women than perceived gain from highlighting less frequent occurrences.

sincerely,
a victim of assault from women and men

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
On average, men tend to have more upper body strength than women (obviously there are exceptions to this).

Domestic abuse victims are around 85% women (obviously there are flaws in any data collection and unreported crimes). This was from a 1993-2001 survey by the Bureau of Justice,

Chris Beard only has female family members/romantic partners. He was charged with assault of a family member, so we can safely assume he wasn’t choking a boyfriend of a daughter.

The act of assaulting a woman or a man doesn’t really make any difference; assault is assault.

When it comes to civil damages, it’s more likely that men will cause more physical injury when assaulting someone, see upper body strength.

I think the crowd saying “it’s worse to hit a woman” aren’t really correct in that it’s definitely not any different morally to hit a man or a woman. However, an average man hitting an average woman is probably more likely to cause more serious physical harm than a woman hitting a man.

I suspect the “it’s worse to hit a woman” is looking more at the likely damages, while accidentally perpetuating some negative gender stereotypes.. the “it’s the same” crowd is looking more at moral culpability of assaulting a human being.
I think it’s morally worse for a man to hit a woman. But I’m willing to accept I’m probably in the minority with that view. That just caught me totally off guard.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
The erasure of any distinction of genetic or physiological differences between men and women and looking to tear down protections based upon those distinctions does more harm to women than perceived gain from highlighting less frequent occurrences.

sincerely,
giphy.gif

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I think it’s morally worse for a man to hit a woman. But I’m willing to accept I’m probably in the minority with that view. That just caught me totally off guard.
I would say that it is MORE irresponsible or morally wrong to hit someone who isn’t nearly as physically strong as you are.

It just so happens that on average, men are stronger in their upper bodies than women, and that men and women tend to be married to each other.

I think it would be just as morally wrong for a 300 pound power lifter to strangle a 130 pound stockbroker, regardless of gender.

Reducing it to “hitting women is worse than hitting men” (in my opinion) reduces nuance and ends up creating some infantilizing narratives about women which can be dangerous.

SimpsonClone

Feb 7, 2014

sincerely,

Who is "looking to tear down protections"? Who is saying there is no "genetic or physiological differences"? I'll wait, because it sure as hell ain't me.

I understand that as a DA victim this is a topic that you are probably a bit more sensitive to than most. I am sorry, but projecting an argument that isn't being made does a disservice to the overall discussion.

Reactions: cycloneG

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Q Who is "looking to tear down protections"? Who is saying there is no "genetic or physiological differences"? I'll wait, because it sure as hell ain't me.

I understand that as a DA victim this is a topic that you are probably a bit more sensitive to than most. I am sorry, but projecting an argument that isn't being made does a disservice to the overall points trying to be made.
A: Saying that any distinctions of assault & battery based upon sex are archaic (it's not 1950) is tearing down or agreeing that any sex-based protections are not helpful, good or beneficial.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
People that want to have a discussion about these opinions should do it in the cave which is why the cave exists so these threads don't get locked.
I think you can save your "breath." I see this going south soon as so many have in the past. The banter will gradually grow more cave-like until the cave veterans show up and blow it up and we all know that cast of characters.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
The fact that you felt the need to include a definition. It was childish and unnecessary.
Thank you for the response. Not my intent and I disagree.

The confusion seemed to stem from an examination of degrees of worseness. Some saw others saying one is worse than the other = one is better.

Better is a degree of excellence. That seemed like a very pertinent distinction that the definition clearly articulates.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I would say that it is MORE irresponsible or morally wrong to hit someone who isn’t nearly as physically strong as you are.

It just so happens that on average, men are stronger in their upper bodies than women, and that men and women tend to be married to each other.

I think it would be just as morally wrong for a 300 pound power lifter to strangle a 130 pound stockbroker, regardless of gender.

Reducing it to “hitting women is worse than hitting men” (in my opinion) reduces nuance and ends up creating some infantilizing narratives about women which can be dangerous.
Agree 100%. I’ve been speaking in the very general sense. Also, I had a female coworker who went through a very difficult stretch that probably clouds my judgement. But even the law looks at individuals less able to defend themselves differently from the average male.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
It ought to be an accepted societal moral norm (regardless of religious or cultural differences within that society) that it is wrong for someone in a position of greater power to abuse or harm someone in a position of less power.

In the case of physical assault, this would mean it’s morally more egregious for a man to assault someone who is less physically capable of defending themselves against that man. This would generally include most women, children, the disabled, the elderly, or less physically-able men (less physically-able meaning they are literally smaller, literally weaker, etc).

It isn’t radical to say society ought to care more about defending the relatively defenseless, and this is displayed holistically throughout society from tax laws to welfare laws to orphanage and foster care laws to assault laws.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
right---------------|-----------yx-----wrong

y is not 'better' because it is not right, good or acceptable. x is worse than y.

So, if we agree that an act is wrong, we can then look at it more like

wrong
(0) -----------yx----- (1)

for additional clarity:
bet·ter – adj.
1. of a more excellent or effective type or quality.
math.png

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009

Public opinion concerning this has changed recently, because who hasn’t wanted to strangle their stock broker the last six months.:jimlad:

Help Support Us

Become a patron