Former Drake Bulldog Yesefu transferring to KU

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
So a 5’10” volume shooter went to KU? Lol. The only reason this is even remotely on our radar is because he went to Drake. If he is starting or even playing major 2nd unit minutes for KU they won’t be competing for the conference title. This is a nothingburger for the Big 12. Sucks for Drake though. He was a very good 6th man in the MVC.
This is wrong in so many ways. Yesefu is a flat out stud and proved it over and over again once he got extended minutes. He could easily be first team all Big 12 next year. His games travels.

He’s a perfect example of why the new transfer rules are terrible for college basketball. Drake is now a juco. Jay Bilas has been wrong all along in continually pushing for this over the years. It makes college basketball far less interesting. I would love to see Drake next year with Penn and Yesefu starting together. Probably a top 5 or 10 backcourt in the nation. Big win for KU, when Self with the Adidas money doesn’t need any more help.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
This is wrong in so many ways. Yesefu is a flat out stud and proved it over and over again once he got extended minutes. He could easily be first team all Big 12 next year. His games travels.

He’s a perfect example of why the new transfer rules are terrible for college basketball. Drake is now a juco. Jay Bilas has been wrong all along in continually pushing for this over the years. It makes college basketball far less interesting. I would love to see Drake next year with Penn and Yesefu starting together. Probably a top 5 or 10 backcourt in the nation. Big win for KU, when Self with the Adidas money doesn’t need any more help.

Lol. 2 great games against a bad opponent and a crazy dunk make someone legit? Players his size and are volume shooters with average percentages do not generally travel going from mid major to P6.

He will probably contribute but if you think he will be all big 12 you are nuts.

ISUATC

Feb 1, 2007
He’s a volume shooter. He took 21 shots to get 21 points against Wichita St and 22 shots to get 26 points against USC. He had 2 great games against a 9-16 Evansville team who had Todd Lickliter as coach with 0 scouting report time due to Penn getting hurt.

Great MVC 6th man. Best case scenario for KU he is a poor man Tyrus McGee. Worst case, KJ Bluford.
Trying to figure out if you're bagging on Tyrus or propping him up??

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Trying to figure out if you're bagging on Tyrus or propping him up??

I thought Tyrus was great. I don’t think Yesefu will be as good as him but his best situation in my opinion would be having a similar role off the bench. Obviously I could be wrong, I just don’t see it. Size matters.

I know TWSS.

• Disagree
Reactions: Cytown12

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Lol. 2 great games against a bad opponent and a crazy dunk make someone legit? Players his size and are volume shooters with average percentages do not generally travel going from mid major to P6.

He will probably contribute but if you think he will be all big 12 you are nuts.
He averaged 23 PPG on 45% shooting the last 9 games of the year with Penn out. I'm not saying he's going to be a stud but you are under selling him a little bit

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
He averaged 23 PPG on 45% shooting the last 9 games of the year with Penn out. I'm not saying he's going to be a stud but you are under selling him a little bit

He had 2 great games that is undeniable. But I think you are using those to prop him up too much. He needs the ball a ton to be effective, it worked out for him that the 2 best players on Drake got hurt at the same time and they needed someone to dominate the ball. He is a volume shooter who is undersized. Not a great combo.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006

Go back and watch the USC game. He’s Sherron Collins with a jump shot. There’s a reason he ended up at Kansas. He could have gone anywhere.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Go back and watch the USC game. He’s Sherron Collins with a jump shot. There’s a reason he ended up at Kansas. He could have gone anywhere.

8-22 and 2-11 from 3? Not exactly a good game to use to try to justify his shooting ability.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Imagine how many transfers will be headed to Baylor this year, where Drew has made an art of attracting seasoned talent to Waco.

How can power-conference coaches seriously consider recruiting just high school talent anymore? It seems to me those days are gone with a thousand veterans year after year available in the portal.

I suspect this is one reason Roy Williams stepped aside. Recruiting is completely upside-down.
It's not upside down. It's just expanded. You may not get a recruit now. But in a few years, that relationship you built with a kid might matter when the program he chose turns out not to be what he envisioned or was told.

Also, some kids just flat out develop a year or two later than other players their age. They take the best of the meager offers they had and then a year or two later they are way better athletes.

I love that players are having such freedom. If a few flakes give up and try something else before really giving a serious effort, that's fine. It's a small price to pay to have the ranks of the ncaa tourney-contending teams bolstered with better players.

Off-season roster building is a spectator sport in the NFL and the NBA. The ncaa is wise to allow more of this and would be wise to continue use to do so. It just adds months to the calendar in which the public is talking about your sport. More, more, more.

Plus, if the ncaa wanted to lessen the power of incoming recruits, it should work to increase the power of established players.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

Three players transferred out of Kansas this year and will filter down into programs you are calling "juco". We are expecting a fourth in the next week. Do you think I enjoyed watching former KU Top 25 recruit Quentin Grimes lead freaking Houston to a Final Four this year? This is a two way street, not one way. Spare me.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
[/QUOTE]
Three players transferred out of Kansas this year and will filter down into programs you are calling "juco". We are expecting a fourth in the next week. Do you think I enjoyed watching former KU Top 25 recruit Quentin Grimes lead freaking Houston to a Final Four this year? This is a two way street, not one way. Spare me.
Sure.. Just like how Grimes transferred his way down to Houston (well known juco btw).

Reactions: Cytown12

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
How is Kansas recruiting so well this year? Bill must be confident and telling recruits the NCAA ain't gonna do anything to KU and he's immune to any fallout.
Momma musta got paid. This sucks

randomfan44

May 30, 2015

Sure.. Just like how Grimes transferred his way down to Houston (well known juco btw).
[/QUOTE]
That's my point. Non P5 programs aren't being turned into JUCO programs as that poster claimed because some of their best players transfer on to P5 programs. P5 teams lose players to non P5 programs every single season and many of them go on to be vital players for those programs.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
How is Kansas recruiting so well this year? Bill must be confident and telling recruits the NCAA ain't gonna do anything to KU and he's immune to any fallout.
Momma musta got paid. This sucks
I'd rather play on a Kansas team that gets banned from the tourney than a Drake team that needs everything to go right just to make the tourney.

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010

Expecting pity for KU on this board is an all-timer post. LOL.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Just one of the first "symptoms" of how crazy the upcoming transfer cycle is going to get. You will have some teams (like Florida) overturning half of their roster. That actually will become the norm at the blue bloods where they simply shuffle the line up on a yearly basis. I wonder if the NCAA intended this...

This is exactly why the transfer market this year is a huge mirage (coined that term for it a couple weeks ago). There are going to be 1,500 to 2,000 kids in the portal but roughly the same number as usual that are starter material (~75). A lot of those players leaving the big-time schools are going to be moving down a tier or two as they haven't proven out... and those big-time schools will have first grabs at upgrading their roster with the cream of the crop. That's how the world has changed from when Fred was here.

There is going to be a ton of movement, but a lot of those ~75 possible starters will enter the portal knowing their destination. This also sucks because mid-majors and places like Drake will likely not keep players that have a good year, once again decreasing the parity that makes CBB so fun.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes and BigCyFan