Former assistants still costing us big bucks

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Also, dont' forget that PR did not have a job. It's not like Jamie had to lure him away from something.

Rhoads would have had BCS schools lining up to hire him as DC if he hadn't went to ISU. He got the HC shot at ISU because of his history with us, but don't think for a minute that he would have been unemployed for long.

If we can't afford to pay our coaches market value, we might as well hang it up. Rhoads is underpaid as a BCS HC. And most schools have their coordinators on two year contracts. As for the article, a majority of the coaches have a whole three more paychecks coming to them. After the June 30 paycheck, we'll only be paying McFarland and Bolt and McFarland could still land a job before next season...he'll surely have a job lined up by this time next year.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
It would be interesting to know what the lower range is for BCS head coaches. I have to think many of them are making less than a million, especially new and unproven head coaches. Maybe somebody with the time can post something on that. Nobody disputes that PR would have quickly got a d-coordinator position. The point was he was not a hot commodity for a head coaching position at a BCS university, and we may have been his only opportunity as a head coach.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
It would be interesting to know what the lower range is for BCS head coaches. I have to think many of them are making less than a million, especially new and unproven head coaches. Maybe somebody with the time can post something on that. Nobody disputes that PR would have quickly got a d-coordinator position. The point was he was not a hot commodity for a head coaching position at a BCS university, and we may have been his only opportunity as a head coach.

Well our last coach was a hot commodity and that didn't exactly work out for us...:eek:

Last edited:

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Well our last coach was one of those and that didn't exactly work out for us...:eek:

You are right...you know, sometimes things just don't work out as planned. Fortunately, we have people that have the hindsight to point the out things that don't work out, otherwise we just might of missed it.:eek:

Reactions: CycloneErik

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Don't get me wrong, Bobber, I'm excited about the PR hire. I didn't like the Chiz hire from day 1 (especially with Brian Kelly still not hired). It reminded me too much of the Donnie Duncan hire (another hot assistant d-coordinator at a powerhouse school loaded with talent). I just think since PR has never been a head coach and is unproven as a head coach even at a lower level, we didn't need to pay him so much to start. No way he should be paid even close to the BCS average for a head coach until he proves himself at least a little. Let him show some progress with the program then pay him the real big bucks.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Don't get me wrong, Bobber, I'm excited about the PR hire. I didn't like the Chiz hire from day 1 (especially with Brian Kelly still not hired). It reminded me too much of the Donnie Duncan hire (another hot assistant d-coordinator at a powerhouse school loaded with talent). I just think since PR has never been a head coach and is unproven as a head coach even at a lower level, we didn't need to pay him so much to start. No way he should be paid even close to the BCS average for a head coach until he proves himself at least a little. Let him show some progress with the program then pay him the real big bucks.

No sweat. You've been very civil.

I think we have to agree to disagree on the salary issue. I think you have to be competive with the schools in your conference from a pay stand point or your just not going to attract a quality coach. If you do hire somebody cheap, it won't take much for him to pull stakes and move on as soon as he wins a few games and a few other schools come a knocking.

Paul Rhoads may not have head coaching experience, but he's paid his dues and at 42 he's not exactly a green kid fresh out of school.

I'd like to buy a Cadillac for a Chevy price, but that just doesn't happen in the real world.

acody

Nov 25, 2006
Actually it's more than that:

In all, ISU must pay four out-of-work coaches and strength and conditioning coach Ken Sheppard upward of $800,000, money to Bolt and whatever the difference in salary, if any, to Rodgers and Koonz.

800k to the out of work coaches and Sheppard
334k for 2 years to Bolt
unknown amount to Rodgers and Koonz
plus the cost of the coaching search (which was six figures, as I recall)

All in all, the 750k we got from Auburn probably covered about half of the cost of the coaching change.

:sad:The price we've paid for an AD that is out of touch. But we do have improved concessions at the football stadium and oh a MBB program that has sunk to new lows.

Reactions: MontyBurns

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
:sad:The price we've paid for an AD that is out of touch. But we do have improved concessions at the football stadium and oh a MBB program that has sunk to new lows.

What exactly is he out of touch with?

Are you measuring the department strictly on the current win/loss record of the mens basketball and football teams?

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008

Bad deals with contracts in both FB and BB.

$4 million dollars down the tubes to fire and replace coaches (with mostly horrible results) in 3 years.

Ticket price increases to the highest in our history for teams that are some of the worst we've had in 20 years.

A bungled seat donation policy that results in visiting fans buying football single game tickets getting better seats than ISU season ticket holders.

Wasted money on a Cy-Hawk billboard in Cedar Rapids that did nothing but provide bulletin board material for the following year when we lost the trophy. It was very much like Earl Bruce coming out with "Beat Iowa" jerseys the first year the Iowa/ISU football game was renewed. Afterwards he said he knew it was a mistake the minute we took the field. Jamie learned nothing from that mistake, and has never even admitted that the billboard was a mistake.

Mismatched uniform colors.

Fans who criticize McDermott dismissed because "They don't pay the bills" despite the fact that these loyal fans are still attending bb games.

What did I miss? Oh yeah, the new hot dog stands are awesome. :jimlad:

It's been a great 3 year ride. :jimlad: I hope it ends soon.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Sorry but you're an idiot that doesn't seem to know much with regards to athletics...

Bad deals with contracts in both FB and BB.

$4 million dollars down the tubes to fire and replace coaches (with mostly horrible results) in 3 years.

Ticket price increases to the highest in our history for teams that are some of the worst we've had in 20 years.

A bungled seat donation policy that results in visiting fans buying football single game tickets getting better seats than ISU season ticket holders.

Wasted money on a Cy-Hawk billboard in Cedar Rapids that did nothing but provide bulletin board material for the following year when we lost the trophy. It was very much like Earl Bruce coming out with "Beat Iowa" jerseys the first year the Iowa/ISU football game was renewed. Afterwards he said he knew it was a mistake the minute we took the field. Jamie learned nothing from that mistake, and has never even admitted that the billboard was a mistake.

Mismatched uniform colors.

Fans who criticize McDermott dismissed because "They don't pay the bills" despite the fact that these loyal fans are still attending bb games.

What did I miss? Oh yeah, the new hot dog stands are awesome. :jimlad:

It's been a great 3 year ride. :jimlad: I hope it ends soon.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but the athletic dept. budget has increased quite a bit since Pollard took over. We aren't in the cellar of the B12 if I'm remembering right.

I realize that the great "MontyBurns" expects national titles at ISU in FB and MBB for the lovely ticket price of $5 per seat... but unfortunately we don't live in that world.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but the athletic dept. budget has increased quite a bit since Pollard took over. We aren't in the cellar of the B12 if I'm remembering right.

So Pollard is doing less with more. Sign of a great AD. Got it.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I realize that the great "MontyBurns" expects national titles at ISU in FB and MBB for the lovely ticket price of $5 per seat... but unfortunately we don't live in that world.

You want the rest of it quoted?

We used to pay reasonable prices for football teams that went to bowl games (5 in 6 years before Pollard) and basketball teams that went to postseason play (3 NCAA's, 1 NIT, in 6 years before Pollard).

Last year I paid $100 per game including my "seat donation" to watch a football team that went 0-8 in the conference and lost 10 straight games.

Sure I'd like a national championship for five bucks. But I'd settle for going to back to where we were before Pollard got here. The further we go on this "next big step", the better our 2000-2005 seasons look.

superdorf

Oct 1, 2007
Des Moines, IA
www.superdorf.com
You want the rest of it quoted?

We used to pay reasonable prices for football teams that went to bowl games (5 in 6 years before Pollard) and basketball teams that went to postseason play (3 NCAA's, 1 NIT, in 6 years before Pollard).

Last year I paid $100 per game including my "seat donation" to watch a football team that went 0-8 in the conference and lost 10 straight games.

Sure I'd like a national championship for five bucks. But I'd settle for going to back to where we were before Pollard got here. The further we go on this "next big step", the better our 2000-2005 seasons look.
Man... I sure wish we could bring Bruce Van De Velde back... He was the one that really took us to the next level.

Reactions: Bobber

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
Yeah Jamie was a bit ambitious, but that is behind us. Perhaps this will be the consolation or perhaps big prize: 7-8-9 wins this season and a bowl with revenue that can offset some of our payment obligations. We are overdue for some good things.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Calling Monty an idiot doesn't do anything to help your argument against his.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
Calling Monty an idiot doesn't do anything to help your argument against his.

The Pollard apologists have no argument to make. That's why they are forced to resort to childish name calling. They don't need advice. Just pity.