[For Sale] Hilton Flooring

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Should take a loan out to buy this, then sell it out piece by piece.

I was thinking the same thing although I’m not sure my wife would appreciate 19 4x8 pallets floating around the house and yard.

You’d only have to sell about 15% of the floor to get your money back out of it at 100 bucks for a 2x2 square.

Reactions: CapnCy

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Sell off a 2 ft x 2 ft section for $500.00 each. (Or whatever the University thinks people would buy it for. How much money would they make?

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I was thinking the same thing although I’m not sure my wife would appreciate 19 4x8 pallets floating around the house and yard.

You’d only have to sell about 15% of the floor to get your money back out of it at 100 bucks for a 2x2 square.

Which would make me wonder why the AD isn't doing this.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Could someone buy the floor and resell it piece by piece without permission from the university? It is one thing to sell a single piece on eBay, but quite another to have a wholesale operation advertising the pieces as being used by Iowa State. This sounds like the sort of thing the trademark nazis are great at stopping.

P.S. I was wearing an Iowa State jacket and talking to some folks in Chicago last year. She said she is a trademark lawyer and has done work for Iowa State. I mentioned that my son got a new business shut down several years ago by the "trademark nazis." She said that was her! I said, "you guys are good at what you do!" She smiled.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Sell off a 2 ft x 2 ft section for $500.00 each. (Or whatever the University thinks people would buy it for. How much money would they make?
Hell, I bet we could get 25 of us throwing a a grand or 50 throwing in 500 and buy and flip it and get our money back. Whose game? Of course, the original group would take the best pieces for ourselves. ;)

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I was hoping It would be pieces of the floor, didn't realize they were selling it as a whole unit. Makes sense, though the only businesses or schools that would be interested in such a floor are probably not going to have the extra funds at the moment due to the Covid 19 situation and it's financial circumstances.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Could someone buy the floor and resell it piece by piece without permission from the university? It is one thing to sell a single piece on eBay, but quite another to have a wholesale operation advertising the pieces as being used by Iowa State. This sounds like the sort of thing the trademark nazis are great at stopping.

P.S. I was wearing an Iowa State jacket and talking to some folks in Chicago last year. She said she is a trademark lawyer and has done work for Iowa State. I mentioned that my son got a new business shut down several years ago by the "trademark nazis." She said that was her! I said, "you guys are good at what you do!" She smiled.

This is my question too. If the answer is yes, which I assume it would be since you are reselling from the university, then piecing it and selling to fans would be great.

If someone seriously wants to explore this, message me.

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Maybe we can figure this out. PM me if you would be in for $1000. I’d propose each would get their own section and then we’d sell the rest and split any money made. Might have to figure in transport and storage. If we can get 25 then we will figure out how to do the money thing. Gauging interest right now. They look like big sections so you could consider cutting yours and selling that too.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Which would make me wonder why the AD isn't doing this.

Because not worth the effort. He has a athletic department to run, not a souvenir shop. Different from the flood floor which was essentially destroyed and worthless. Selling it whole is the right move assuming they get a buyer. A buyer might have a court use for it. Buying it cut up for souvenirs is lot of work (pickup, transport, storing, cutting and separating the surface layer, marketing, selling, shipping etc). Think you'd have to get the floor for free to make it work. Plus it's already been done once only 10 years ago.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I think you should low ball them. At least offer 20K and see what they say.

kirk89gt

Feb 15, 2014
I would be willing to put something together to make this work for all. Couple things that would need to get figured out......

Will there be any university issues with reselling this (trademark or otherwise)? We would need to get a good holistic legal opinion on this.

Transportation and storage. Need to have someone haul and keep it in the interim.

Can someone get some eyes on this to give us a decent opinion on the condition? Doesn't need to be perfect as the flooded floor pieces can attest, but does need to be desirable.

Cutting, shipping, handling, delivery. All of this would need to be sorted out.

I have a couple of other ideas on this as well which could be profitable (maybe even throw in some charity as well).

I think this is a good business opportunity if we can clear some of the hurdles mentioned above. A fair amount of upside for the investment.

PM me if you would want to get in on this.