[For Sale] Hilton Flooring

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Because not worth the effort. He has a athletic department to run, not a souvenir shop. Different from the flood floor which was essentially destroyed and worthless. Selling it whole is the right move assuming they get a buyer. A buyer might have a court use for it. Buying it cut up for souvenirs is lot of work (pickup, transport, storing, cutting and separating the surface layer, marketing, selling, shipping etc). Think you'd have to get the floor for free to make it work. Plus it's already been done once only 10 years ago.

1993 was 10 years ago?

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Could someone buy the floor and resell it piece by piece without permission from the university? It is one thing to sell a single piece on eBay, but quite another to have a wholesale operation advertising the pieces as being used by Iowa State. This sounds like the sort of thing the trademark nazis are great at stopping.

P.S. I was wearing an Iowa State jacket and talking to some folks in Chicago last year. She said she is a trademark lawyer and has done work for Iowa State. I mentioned that my son got a new business shut down several years ago by the "trademark nazis." She said that was her! I said, "you guys are good at what you do!" She smiled.

It states right in the ad that there’s no requirement for logo removal.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
When Hilton flooded years ago they sold of square foot pieces (labeled as to location) and also had larger sections available. Think I paid $100 for mine. Unfortunately, when I got divorced it disappeared.

I still have mine with the crack in it and everything.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Hell, I bet we could get 25 of us throwing a a grand or 50 throwing in 500 and buy and flip it and get our money back. Whose game? Of course, the original group would take the best pieces for ourselves. ;)

If this is a business, there would be some nice profit in the best pieces (free throw lanes, center circle, end lines).

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Because not worth the effort. He has a athletic department to run, not a souvenir shop. Different from the flood floor which was essentially destroyed and worthless. Selling it whole is the right move assuming they get a buyer. A buyer might have a court use for it. Buying it cut up for souvenirs is lot of work (pickup, transport, storing, cutting and separating the surface layer, marketing, selling, shipping etc). Think you'd have to get the floor for free to make it work. Plus it's already been done once only 10 years ago.

Pollard could hand the project over the Foundation. It's not like he would be cutting and hauling the pieces himself.

Maybe he is waiting to do something big with the floor next time as a big fundraiser, perhaps when the team is better and the market value is higher.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It states right in the ad that there’s no requirement for logo removal.

It's not just the presence of the logo. It's a marketing effort that is built on the university's brand. Plus, if something like this is going to be done, surely it would be done by the Foundation as a major fundraiser. We may just have to wait until next time.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
How much would people be willing to pay for a piece of that floor? Price and piece size? Just a piece of the floor not framing or anything.

Edit: The flooring was in Hilton from 2010 to now.

Last edited:

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
How much would people be willing to pay for a piece of that floor? Price and piece size? Just a piece of the floor not framing or anything.

Edit: The flooring was in Hilton from 2010 to now.

I would pay $500 for a 1-2 sq ft piece that included part of the center I-State logo.

I would also pay close to that for a section that included part of one of the "XII"'s.

A COA would be a nice touch, but if I was sure it was authentic it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

ENGR 79

Apr 16, 2006
Marshalltown
When Hilton flooded years ago they sold of square foot pieces (labeled as to location) and also had larger sections available. Think I paid $100 for mine. Unfortunately, when I got divorced it disappeared.
My wife bought me a 3'X3' piece from the 1993 flood. She had it signed by Johnny and I later had Fred sign it. Unfortunately, I mean fortunately, I'm still married to her and still have it.

Reactions: acoustimac

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
My wife bought me a 3'X3' piece from the 1993 flood. She had it signed by Johnny and I later had Fred sign it. Unfortunately, I mean fortunately, I'm still married to her and still have it.
We know what you meant.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
I would pay $500 for a 1-2 sq ft piece that included part of the center I-State logo.

I would also pay close to that for a section that included part of one of the "XII"'s.

A COA would be a nice touch, but if I was sure it was authentic it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Yea, I bet any logo pieces would sell fast. Wonder how big the market would be for the other pieces.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
I saw this when the auction went up, I follow ISU Surplus on FB, and had the delusions of buying and piecing out at profit until I realized that it was not a one man job.

I worked for Ogden in '98, mostly outside of Hilton, but have seen the floor pulled up and put into storage. Pretty impressive! I believe the ice arena setup was still in the storage area, although I never saw that setup.

I also worked for ISU Surplus from '99-01, out at the old Purchasing Warehouse. Saw lots of cool stuff from the AD - either on pickups or coming through the warehouse. Lots of other interesting/cool ISU stuff (the original safe from Beardshear, the president's chair, etc.; a memorable bid/auction like this was one of ISU's planes in '00.) Hilton related note: last I knew, the checkout tables at the sale were the old scorers' tables from Hilton.

TailgateTruck

Oct 6, 2009
Des Moines
www.tailgatetruck.com
I know the guys that bought the flooring. Right now they are deciding what to do with it. I know both of them will be using parts of it for flooring, but are interested in selling parts of it in smaller sections.

There was talk of selling the I-STATE as a solid piece, as well as the pioneer logos.

What kind of interest would there be in those pieces, or, say a 2x2 section of the ISTATE?

Cheers!

Reactions: JP4CY

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I know the guys that bought the flooring. Right now they are deciding what to do with it. I know both of them will be using parts of it for flooring, but are interested in selling parts of it in smaller sections.

There was talk of selling the I-STATE as a solid piece, as well as the pioneer logos.

What kind of interest would there be in those pieces, or, say a 2x2 section of the ISTATE?

Cheers!

Lots of interest in selling pieces from reading through this thread.

OBE4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 13, 2011
Ames

Cheers!

I personally have a very high interest in purchasing. Would be interested in the options you listed as well as any other smaller/random pieces. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss further.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Cheers!
If they get a price idea PM me as well, I'd be interested in a 2x2.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'd be interested in any part of the floor.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I too would be very interested in getting a small-ish piece of the floor to display or a couple feet so I can make it into an end table or coffee table. Feel free to PM to discuss further. Thank you!

Help Support Us

Become a patron