Five Questions: With Christy Johnson-Lynch

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
I think she has done an unbelievable job with what she had to start with. The program appears to be to the point where they just reload, rather than rebuild every year. I look forward to another great year.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Can't wait!

All going to hinge on the setter this season. A bit untested - but a top 25 player in high school IIRC.

Also hope they can pull off another FB/VB Saturday combo like last year for the NU match where they drew around 10K. Unbelievable!

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Thanks, Chris ! CJL is an excellent coach and it'll be nice to show her that a lot of us care about the Volleyball program and she'll appreciate the attention towards the program. This is one way to make sure we can retain her !

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I was glad to see her mention that they were working on their serving as that seemed a weak point last year and drove me crazy in some close matches when we starting tabbing a bunch of unforced errors.

spanny

Jun 17, 2006
Grimes
Our defense will continue to be great as long as this staff is here. Coach Johnson-Lynch will always be able to bring in setters. With the level of setters we have had here, with Manns and now with Landwehr, they have been able to spread the ball around. Henson and Hockaday are tough on the outside. The AVCA Runza showcase is a great thing for our girls to play in, and landing the games in 2014, sweet! Our passing and ball control makes us a good sideout team. And I know it's rally scoring, but you know, more us getting the ball back, so scoring on serve receive. Super juiced for this fall!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Our defense will continue to be great as long as this staff is here. Coach Johnson-Lynch will always be able to bring in setters. With the level of setters we have had here, with Manns and now with Landwehr, they have been able to spread the ball around. Henson and Hockaday are tough on the outside. The AVCA Runza showcase is a great thing for our girls to play in, and landing the games in 2014, sweet! Our passing and ball control makes us a good sideout team. And I know it's rally scoring, but you know, more us getting the ball back, so scoring on serve receive. Super juiced for this fall!

In addition - having two, now experienced, players in the middle will open things up even more for the outsides. Very impressed with Stadick and Straube last year. And we'll see what this Matlock girl brings to the table.

spanny

Jun 17, 2006
Grimes
In addition - having two, now experienced, players in the middle will open things up even more for the outsides. Very impressed with Stadick and Straube last year. And we'll see what this Matlock girl brings to the table.

Could not agree more, who can opponents key on? Lovin' me some volleytalk!

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Nobody really. Great thing about this squad. There's no super-star and no real weak spot.

A bit shorter of a team, and not the best blockers in the world - but they make up for that in the backrow. And one that includes perhaps the best libero in the country.

As always, passing will be the key. Then Allision's ability to distribute. Get the pass, be able to include the middle and spread the defenders out - and it becomes a fairly easy game.

Pretty much the way it went last season.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Also hope they can pull off another FB/VB Saturday combo like last year for the NU match where they drew around 10K. Unbelievable!

There will be two of those Saturday doubleheaders this year.

9/25: VB vs Oklahoma (early afternoon, TBA), FB vs UNI (6:00)
11/6: VB vs Missouri (TBA), FB vs Nebraska (TBA)

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Nobody really. Great thing about this squad. There's no super-star and no real weak spot.

A bit shorter of a team, and not the best blockers in the world - but they make up for that in the backrow. And one that includes perhaps the best libero in the country.

As always, passing will be the key. Then Allision's ability to distribute. Get the pass, be able to include the middle and spread the defenders out - and it becomes a fairly easy game.

Pretty much the way it went last season.

Ashley Maas is the best, watching her play is amazing. She will be a great leader for the team this year. She has a chance to be B12 player of the year. It will be tough to do when you have some great outside hitters in the conference, but Maas is a workhorse.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron