NSCR: First NASCAR event... What to take?

Jack34

It's Fun to have Fun.
Jan 16, 2007
I'm going to my first NASCAR race this weekend down in Kansas City. We have garage passes. I was curious if anyone had been to one and if so, if there is anything special to bring?

Are ear buds needed? Can you take in alcohol?

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
You don't need ear buds necessarily.

Alcohol can be taken into some tracks and some you can't...depends on the track.

Rent the racingelectronics head sets so you can listen to the teams talk to their driver during the race...it is sometimes hilarious

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Some places will let you bring in beer and some won't. You can usually sneak a flask at most tracks. But the last few races I have been to you could only bring in water in a clear cooler or bag. That way it was quick and easy to inspect what was in it.

Do bring ear plugs. You won't have the pounding headache afterwards.

Also, get there early enough to tailgate. So much fun. And such a crazy atmosphere.

Be sure to go through all the displays. You can have alot of fun dong the simulators and all the team stuff. You can get alot of free stuff, but watch out what you sign up for.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
You don't need ear buds necessarily.

Alcohol can be taken into some tracks and some you can't...depends on the track.

Rent the racingelectronics head sets so you can listen to the teams talk to their driver during the race...it is sometimes hilarious

Agree with this..... Jr and Carl Edwards are the best too listen too... Oh and Kyle Bush when struggling.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Act like you are going to a football tailgate. You will probably get to see some boobies also if your into that sort of thing. It is pretty crazy tailgating.

Bring headphones or earplugs. It is pretty loud.

You will love it. Nascar has there stuff straight.

Jack34

It's Fun to have Fun.
Jan 16, 2007
With the garage passes to the infield.. does anyone know if it is possible to meet drivers/crew members?

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Very easy to meet drivers and crew members...they are walking all over the place! Just ask them and they will usually be more than glad to give you an autograph...unless they are a ***** like Danica Patrick

cylen

Jul 5, 2006
With the garage passes to the infield.. does anyone know if it is possible to meet drivers/crew members?

most likely not. you'll be able to get close enough to see them, but they usually stay out of arm's reach. i had the same type of pass this year at the Brickyard. Bring a camera and get some good close ups!

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
most likely not. you'll be able to get close enough to see them, but they usually stay out of arm's reach. i had the same type of pass this year at the Brickyard. Bring a camera and get some good close ups!

I was able to get autographs in both Vegas and Iowa...must be hard to get them in Indy

Jack34

It's Fun to have Fun.
Jan 16, 2007

Did you watch the race from the infield then? I assume so? Did they have food and beverage facilities on the infield to use? Or seating?

Sorry for all the questions.

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
I've only been to one race, but would highly recommend spending the cash to get the little yellow race monitor where you can switch between in car cameras and listen to the various racers talk to their crew chief....they also help deaden the sound which is needed. Other than that, sunglasses was all I needed for my race. We were able to bring beer into the race at Texas, but I don't know the protocol at KC.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I've gone to the last 2 races in KC and am going this weekend although I've never had garage passes. How did you get them? My guess is those passes will be sweet.

You can take a soft sided cooler into the track and yes, it can have beer in it. You can also take a bag in as well. Here is an FAQ from the track's website:

FAQs - Kansas Speedway

Also, definitely get the headsets/radios. One, they knock down the noise a lot and two, its really cool to listen in to all of the team communications.

TxCycloneFan

Oct 19, 2006
Bastrop TX
Beer and more beer. Earplugs are for female dogs.

If you want loud, go stand next to a pair of Nitro Funny cars doing burnouts.