Fire All of the Weatherpeople

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
So you're saying they predicted Saturday evening rain and it rained at 4PM? I'd say that's pretty damn solid. I'm not in Central Iowa but even I saw Brett's tweet Thursday that "hey, there's a good shot it's going to rain..."

I'm not specifically saying this is you but people get caught up in the Saturday forecast on Wednesday and then get pissed when it changes by Friday or Saturday. "Well the weather guy said Wednesday it was going to be 82 and sunny! He's a dumbass for not being able to nail the forecast 3 days out!"
All the forecasts called for sunny skies and temps in the 80s. Below is the NWS forecast:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Weather forecast for next week is in.

giphy.gif

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think most people would be less angry with Meteorologists if they'd just say "Yep, missed that one. Snuck up on us too. Sorry."

Maybe not, people will complain about everything.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc and Trice

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think part of my problem is I don’t understand the behind the scenes meteorology stuff, and then the ones on TV project a confidence that maybe isn’t really there.

It was only by the grace of God that I didn’t get into a bar fight later that night so meteorologists
weren’t the only ones getting it:oops:.

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I think most people would be less angry with Meteorologists if they'd just say "Yep, missed that one. Snuck up on us too. Sorry."

Maybe not, people will complain about everything.

I completely agree and it is tough. Some may want to admit but they have limitations. They may only have two minutes during the newcast. How much do you devote to explaining what happened vs giving your forecast for the coming days? Same with radio...likely only have 30 seconds there so that is out. Are people actually going to read the blog or FB post? Much less are they going to get a glassy eyed when you try and explain it?

• Agree
Reactions: isumet and Doc

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I think part of my problem is I don’t understand the behind the seems meteorology stuff, and then the ones on TV project a confidence that maybe isn’t really there.

It was only by the grace of God that I didn’t get into a bar fight later that night so meteorologists
weren’t the only ones getting it:oops:.

Doc, baby, you could have stopped right there.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I completely agree and it is tough. Some may want to admit but they have limitations. They may only have two minutes during the newcast. How much do you devote to explaining what happened vs giving your forecast for the coming days? Same with radio...likely only have 30 seconds there so that is out. Are people actually going to read the blog or FB post? Much less are they going to get a glassy eyed when you try and explain it?

Oh I get it. And my general policy is to NOT feed the trolls. Which is what I'd do if I were a meteorologist on Twitter, in all reality. Don't argue, or defend.

Reactions: wxman1