Finals

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
What do ya'll do to get ready for finals?

I tend to wait until the last minute to study. However, I don't think that'll cut it this year, as my classes are a little harder than my previous 3 semesters.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
As a college professor I write my exams, making sure to come up with some problems on concepts we haven't covered in class and enough problems that the test is at least 50% too long for the allotted time. Then I stock up on red pens (blood red) and get ready to grade. :biglaugh:

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
As a college professor I write my exams, making sure to come up with some problems on concepts we haven't covered in class and enough problems that the test is at least 50% too long for the allotted time. Then I stock up on red pens (blood red) and get ready to grade. :biglaugh:

You can laugh all you want, but this DOES HAPPEN.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I used to type up a study guide and using that as my main study time and then reviewing a day or two before the test

I knew someone who felt their exam was easy in one class, so he spent his time playing video games....might have been Axis & Allies or football:cute:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Relax, get a good night sleep, and eat a good breakfast since crammy has been proven to not to any good anyways...

Yep, and all nighters dont work either. It just makes you drift during the test.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
I went by the theory that your brain remembers things better in the same chemical state you were in when you learned them.

So, if you drink coffee when studying, drink coffee during finals.

If you are usually hungover when attending classes, be hungover when taking the finals.

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
I went by the theory that your brain remembers things better in the same chemical state you were in when you learned them.

If you are usually hungover when attending classes, be hungover when taking the finals.

Very sound advice.

When I was in High School, my Senior year, I had to pass a Spanish Class to graduate (I was stupid enough to schedule the bare minimum of credits to graduate after failing Spanish one time and getting kicked out of two classes for screwing around). I'm terrible with foreign languages, mostly because I've never done any homework in High School, and I liked being the class clown. Anyways, I made a cheat sheet the night before the finals. What I realized was that while making the cheat sheet, I actually retained the knowledge the next day so I didn't even need to cheat. First and only time I ever attempted to cheat.

So my advice. Make a cheat sheet.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I used to just concentrate on stuff I was more familar with and the heck with the older stuff that I was likely going to do bad on anyways. Some classes I did do major cram sessions because my grade depended on it but mostly I took a relaxed approach at finals. I figure if you didn't know it by now you probably were screwed anyways. And if you went in lacking sleep and were stressed out and not relaxed that didn't help things either.

clonomaniac

Apr 12, 2006
St Louis, MO
What do ya'll do to get ready for finals?

I tend to wait until the last minute to study. However, I don't think that'll cut it this year, as my classes are a little harder than my previous 3 semesters.

This is a good post. I can say a lot in here but I won't be sarcastic, I will honestly tell you what I really did.

I would go over to Parks library, lock myself in a group study room and using the white board I would review the homeworks, the concepts and the tests/quizzes. What I learned over the years is that when you teach (by teach I mean pretend you're teaching a group of students), you tend to go over what you already know and relate that to the study materials you need to go over fairly well. You become more confident and that makes a big difference

jbclone10

Apr 11, 2008
Denver, CO
I would go over to Parks library, lock myself in a group study room and using the white board I would review the homeworks, the concepts and the tests/quizzes. What I learned over the years is that when you teach (by teach I mean pretend you're teaching a group of students), you tend to go over what you already know and relate that to the study materials you need to go over fairly well. You become more confident and that makes a big difference[/quote]

thats really intense :wideeyed: but im sure it works

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
This is a good post. I can say a lot in here but I won't be sarcastic, I will honestly tell you what I really did.

I would go over to Parks library, lock myself in a group study room and using the white board I would review the homeworks, the concepts and the tests/quizzes. What I learned over the years is that when you teach (by teach I mean pretend you're teaching a group of students), you tend to go over what you already know and relate that to the study materials you need to go over fairly well. You become more confident and that makes a big difference

Studying with others, especially explaining things to them (teaching them) is the best way I learn.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Go to the basement of the library and stay there until my brain is fried. Just stare at my notes and memorize concepts, then immediately after the test is over, forget it forever.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I like to make study sheets. I go back through my notes and write everything down and while I'm writing it down, I make sure I remember it rather than just copying it. Tends to work for me. I'm a gradual studier, I like to take a few hours each day before the exam.

One thing I learned big time early on is not to study things I already know. A lot of people will work one type of problem because they're good at it and it makes them feel like they know what's going on. However, you need to focus on things you don't know and that are difficult if you want to do well.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa

Although a true statement, however, if I'm one bit hungover there is no going to class for me! So it'd be useless to go to a test hungover cause i don't go to class hungover at all! My attendance on fridays is less that 50 percent for the semester lol

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
Forget finals week, I'm barely making it through dead week alive!!!

:realmad:

(and, no, that wasn't a pun..)