Finals begin NOW

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Amazing how you know Jake was more tired than Pucillo - if that is your argument than why bring up a non-point of RT in regulation. The RT Jake had in reg was not enough to earn points - period.
Except that the RT Jake had in reg was more than the RT Pucillo had in OT.

EDIT: I never said I knew Jake was more tired, just that he wrestled/looked like he was more tired.

Last edited:

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
They said we get a peice of wood plastic and metal to share with Ok St for finishing 5th.
I did not know they gave team awards that low.
I would like to see a little Bad News Bears.
"Hey Yankees take this trophy and stick it up your ***"
It will look great next to our Big 12 North Football Co-Champions Trophy.

But, seriously, it's not like finishing in the top 5 nationally is the end of the world or anything...

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Again - literally a non-point. Give it up.:eek:
Again, both wrestlers did the same exact thing. One won because he could sit on his opponent longer, not score more points. Saying Varner lost it because of his offense is absurd because he could have just as easily won it because of his ability to shut off Pucillo's offense.

Jan 23, 2008
Glen Ellyn, IL
As I review the results for today it seems to me that the only wrestler that did not underachieve was Gallick. If the other 6 wrestlers wrestled up to their capabilities the team could have finished as high as 2nd - what a disappointing day.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
As I review the results for today it seems to me that the only wrestler that did not underachieve was Gallick. If the other 6 wrestlers wrestled up to their capabilities the team could have finished as high as 2nd - what a disappointing day.
When was the last time we had 7 AA's? How many of them are returning next year?

Jan 23, 2008
Glen Ellyn, IL
Six return - but the more important question is how many return from the 4 teams that finished higher? I know Iowa only loses two or three wrestlers - how about Nebraska, Ohio State, and Penn State?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
When was the last time we had 7 AA's? How many of them are returning next year?

Is ISU wrestling for AA's, or for a national championship?

GlenEllynClone's point is valid. ISU needs to get better at taking care of business. I would contend that ISU lost the championship last year because of the same issue - guys not wrestling up to their seed.

It doesn't help much to defeat a higher seeded opponent , only to give it back by losing to a lower seeded wrestler.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Again, both wrestlers did the same exact thing. One won because he could sit on his opponent longer, not score more points. Saying Varner lost it because of his offense is absurd because he could have just as easily won it because of his ability to shut off Pucillo's offense.

I don't know that Jake can play any more defense - it is pretty much all he does. We will have to agree to disagree.

Jan 23, 2008
Glen Ellyn, IL
If you look at the final team standings - Iowa State tied with Iowa for the most All Americans (7). The problem is we had 3 sevenths, 1 eighth, a fifth, a sixth, and a second. The teams that finshed ahead of us had 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4h place finishers - that is where you get the most points.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Is ISU wrestling for AA's, or for a national championship?

GlenEllynClone's point is valid. ISU needs to get better at taking care of business. I would contend that ISU lost the championship last year because of the same issue - guys not wrestling up to their seed.

It doesn't help much to defeat a higher seeded opponent , only to give it back by losing to a lower seeded wrestler.
And I would contend that we got second last year because we did wrestle above our seeds. We finished where we were expected both years. Last year, I think we even finished higher than we were expected to.

Last edited:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
If you look at the final team standings - Iowa State tied with Iowa for the most All Americans (7). The problem is we had 3 sevenths, 1 eighth, a fifth, a sixth, and a second. The teams that finshed ahead of us had 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4h place finishers - that is where you get the most points.
Of course. But to overtake anyone, we had to win our one first/second place match. We didn't , so we fell. He could have won, and I think he was the better wrestler over all, but I also hadn't seen Pucillo before tonight. In order to win it all, we need to have more than a couple wrestlers in the semis. We need to go deeper, and we've improved since last year. We just need to keep moving forward.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I visted a few opponent's message boards after ISU wrestling matches this year. There always seemed to be complaining about ISU's overall "defensive" style of wrestling.

Hopefully as the young guys get older, they can wrestle more aggresively. ISU will need to do that in order to win a national championship.

Yes, this topic has been ongoing since the ISU-Minnesota dual where there were not many takedowns by either team. And it carried on through the first four weights against Iowa in Ames.

ISU needs to get on the horse a bit more. Next year, they will have most of the team having been accustomed to the weights they were at this year. That can have an impact on you.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
So, is Brands mentally damaged or something? I don't understand the draw he has, but I've never met the guy.

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
I would contend that ISU lost the championship last year because of the same issue - guys not wrestling up to their seed.
I am not so sure about that. I would contend that the reason the we got second last year is because of guys placing higher or at their seeds. Three finalist Paulson wrestling to his seed (obviously can not wrestle above your seed when you are number 1) and Varner and especailly Backes. Who thought Backes would make the finals.
Glass half empty or glass half full.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
So, is Brands mentally damaged or something? I don't understand the draw he has, but I've never met the guy.

He is crazy intense. To me, Cael is intense, just in a controlled way. I love interviewing both of those guys more than anyone else I have ever interviewed...that includes Bobby Knight, Tom Izzo, Bill Self and a ton of others.

They are intense, and they are among the all time best ever at what they do.

Some wrestlers attack and are psychos. They might lean more towards Brands. Some wrestlers think more and out technique you. They might lean more to Cael. That is a generalization that does not always equate that way, just an example.

Metcalf is a walking, and talking clone of Brands. It's pretty freaky actually, right down to the third person references.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron