Fight Song - Do you know the words?

dcxme1183

Jan 31, 2010
Minneapolis
Over some beers last night with 2 of the biggest Cyclone fans I know, I discovered neither knew the words to the fight song, which I find to be wholly unacceptable for alumni. This isn't Don't Know the Words, this is ISU Fights. I've seen others on here make fun of Iowa fans that don't know their fight song, so I know I'm not alone in thinking loyal sons oughta be able to sing along. But I told them I'd take it up here because they think it's pretty common to not know the words. Am I wrong?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Well, that depends on how many beers you were discussing this over. I know the words but if I have enough beers I am liable to screw them up as well.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
I believe most fans simply sing "Don't know the words." That is more of a tradition than singing the actual words

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I know the fight song but I don't know I don't know the words song. Assuming the fight song is the one that starts out we will fight fight fight.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I know them, but I'll admit it wasn't until I got tired of doing pat-a-cake and wheels on the bus with my first infant son all the time, so I made up hand motions for the fight song. BTW...he loved it.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
The "Don't Know the Words" song is not the fight song.

Yeah your right, the Don't Know the Song, is something else, had brain cramp or effects from a hangover not sure which. By the way does anybody know the real words to the Don't Know the Words tune.

Last edited:

ISUagger

Jan 31, 2012
Ames
I've known it since middle school, but after doing yell like hell it is beat into my head and I will never forget it.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
The fight song is the only song my 2 day old daughter knows. Or, atleast the only one I have sang to her.

Good Man!! I use to work at a physicians office where we were once trying to hold down a very young child for stitches. The child was very scared and screaming her head off. Her dad was right by her side and was trying his best to calm her. He started to sing the Iowa fight song and I looked at him and said "Please don't make it worse." He had a good sense of humor and laughed.

Reactions: MattforState

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Not that it has ever come in handy in my life, but i know the words to the Iowa state and Iowa fight songs, as well as about a dozen other schools across college football. I could voice the music (without the words) to about 50 as well.

Help Support Us

Become a patron