Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
10 day forecast calling for highs around 60 and lows around 40 for the next 10 days... That's about perfect for growing turf grass

Probably looking at cutting twice a week after the over inch of rain we just got

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
When should I be putting down my first round of milorganite? Read earlier in the thread that its important not to fertilize to early or you can stunt root growth as the nutrients are on top of the lawn. So when should I be fertilizing?

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
When should I be putting down my first round of milorganite? Read earlier in the thread that its important not to fertilize to early or you can stunt root growth as the nutrients are on top of the lawn. So when should I be fertilizing?

The earliest I put down Milo is middle of May (I'm in West Des Moines). Any earlier and you are just feeding the weeds coming up. By lawn greens up in the spring from my HEAVY applications of Milo in the fall (Late October to early November usually)

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
The earliest I put down Milo is middle of May (I'm in West Des Moines). Any earlier and you are just feeding the weeds coming up. By lawn greens up in the spring from my HEAVY applications of Milo in the fall (Late October to early November usually)
Thats what I did last fall. Two feedings, one in September and another in October. I'll shoot for middle of May then! Thanks!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames

I saw where you could add Epsom Salt to this when you apply Milorganite. Thought it was intriguing where the guy added a little water to it to get the salt to bind with the milo when you applied with a spreader.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Not sure as to why. But I've had a HUGE bloom of broadleaf weeds this spring... Not happy about it. I know the drought really thinned out the backyard.. But I had little to no weed issues last year

Anyone else?

Reactions: khardbored

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
10 day forecast calling for highs around 60 and lows around 40 for the next 10 days... That's about perfect for growing turf grass

Probably looking at cutting twice a week after the over inch of rain we just got

Fairly dry over here. Had .19 in the rain gauge last night and about that earlier in the week.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I know people are swearing by Milorganite, but I would suggest getting a starter fertilizer down now and save the Milorganite for next month. Starter fertilizer should have a good dose of all three of the macro nutrients - Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. I used one on Monday with 12-28-12. The high phosphorus is good for root development which is what I think you would want right now in the early spring. From May and forward, I'd apply Milorganite (6-4-0), which, because it is slow release, will continue feeding nitrogen to the lawn which promotes leaf/blade growth and greens things up.

Just my opinions.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
I know people are swearing by Milorganite, but I would suggest getting a starter fertilizer down now and save the Milorganite for next month. Starter fertilizer should have a good dose of all three of the macro nutrients - Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. I used one on Monday with 12-28-12. The high phosphorus is good for root development which is what I think you would want right now in the early spring. From May and forward, I'd apply Milorganite (6-4-0), which, because it is slow release, will continue feeding nitrogen to the lawn which promotes leaf/blade growth and greens things up.

Just my opinions.
Where did you get this 12-28-12?

Edit: Like this?

Starter Fert.

Last edited:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011

Just my opinions.

If people want to get really dialed in. I'd recommend soil samples

Reactions: wxman1

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Not sure as to why. But I've had a HUGE bloom of broadleaf weeds this spring... Not happy about it. I know the drought really thinned out the backyard.. But I had little to no weed issues last year

Anyone else?
Same here. Already have dandelions popping up.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Where did you get this 12-28-12?

Edit: Like this?

Starter Fert.

Yes, actually Lesco would be my recommendation if you shop at the big box stores and have around 10,000 sq ft of lawn - it’s a 50 lb bag.

I purchased my product from D&K on the north side of Des Moines, between the Animal Rescue League and The Lumberyard. It’s about $32 for a 50lb bag.

71DAB0D5-2700-40F7-9EC4-5114B94322B6.jpeg

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I need some advice. We have large dead spots in our boulevard due to keeping our downed tree from the derecho until the city came to grab it. What is the order and timing that I should put down step 1 crabgrass preventer, put down turf repair, mow for the first time, etc?

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
Put preventative down 3 weeks ago in southern iowa. No weeds here to speak of. Will continue to supplement mixtures of weed killer throughout the season.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com

Anyone else?
Clover exploded in my yard, along with other junk, but I abused my yard last year. There was the drought, my first child, so I neglected doing anything. I've made a tough road for myself to get it back to mediocre.

Reactions: khardbored

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I need some advice. We have large dead spots in our boulevard due to keeping our downed tree from the derecho until the city came to grab it. What is the order and timing that I should put down step 1 crabgrass preventer, put down turf repair, mow for the first time, etc?

Are you here in Iowa? If so, I would put seed down now and put starter fertilizer down with it. Keep it watered and give it 3 weeks before mowing the seeded area. You should be OK waiting to put down a crabgrass preventer until early May. It may not be perfect but if any crabgrass gets through, you can spot spray it right away. It sounds like you want grass in those dead spots this summer so I’d get it seeded now. Otherwise, you could wait until late August/early September to seed (which is the optimal time). But if you seed now and keep it watered you should be okay.

I’d be interested in what others think.

• Informative
Reactions: mynameisjonas

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA

Anyone else?

Keep working for a healthy lawn this year. I’ve found that the best way to combat weeds is to focus on building up a thick lawn. Aerate and overseed in the fall. Fertilize throughout the year and water as much as you can afford when the rains stop in July.

Broadleafs aren’t too bad - use a hose end sprayer to cover large areas and then spot spray if new pop up.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
I think the drought last year opened up a lot of bare soil for weed seeds to fall onto last fall and were finally seeing the damage that was done. I put this down in early March: Weed Preventer and have had awesome results. Everyone else has all kinds of weeds and I have literally none.