Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
10 day forecast calling for highs around 60 and lows around 40 for the next 10 days... That's about perfect for growing turf grass

Probably looking at cutting twice a week after the over inch of rain we just got

MustardTiger

Apr 4, 2019
When should I be putting down my first round of milorganite? Read earlier in the thread that its important not to fertilize to early or you can stunt root growth as the nutrients are on top of the lawn. So when should I be fertilizing?

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
When should I be putting down my first round of milorganite? Read earlier in the thread that its important not to fertilize to early or you can stunt root growth as the nutrients are on top of the lawn. So when should I be fertilizing?
The earliest I put down Milo is middle of May (I'm in West Des Moines). Any earlier and you are just feeding the weeds coming up. By lawn greens up in the spring from my HEAVY applications of Milo in the fall (Late October to early November usually)

MustardTiger

Apr 4, 2019
The earliest I put down Milo is middle of May (I'm in West Des Moines). Any earlier and you are just feeding the weeds coming up. By lawn greens up in the spring from my HEAVY applications of Milo in the fall (Late October to early November usually)
Thats what I did last fall. Two feedings, one in September and another in October. I'll shoot for middle of May then! Thanks!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I saw where you could add Epsom Salt to this when you apply Milorganite. Thought it was intriguing where the guy added a little water to it to get the salt to bind with the milo when you applied with a spreader.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Not sure as to why. But I've had a HUGE bloom of broadleaf weeds this spring... Not happy about it. I know the drought really thinned out the backyard.. But I had little to no weed issues last year

Anyone else?

wxman1

Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
10 day forecast calling for highs around 60 and lows around 40 for the next 10 days... That's about perfect for growing turf grass

Probably looking at cutting twice a week after the over inch of rain we just got
Fairly dry over here. Had .19 in the rain gauge last night and about that earlier in the week.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I know people are swearing by Milorganite, but I would suggest getting a starter fertilizer down now and save the Milorganite for next month. Starter fertilizer should have a good dose of all three of the macro nutrients - Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. I used one on Monday with 12-28-12. The high phosphorus is good for root development which is what I think you would want right now in the early spring. From May and forward, I'd apply Milorganite (6-4-0), which, because it is slow release, will continue feeding nitrogen to the lawn which promotes leaf/blade growth and greens things up.

Just my opinions.

MustardTiger

Apr 4, 2019
I know people are swearing by Milorganite, but I would suggest getting a starter fertilizer down now and save the Milorganite for next month. Starter fertilizer should have a good dose of all three of the macro nutrients - Nitrogen, Phosphorus, and Potassium. I used one on Monday with 12-28-12. The high phosphorus is good for root development which is what I think you would want right now in the early spring. From May and forward, I'd apply Milorganite (6-4-0), which, because it is slow release, will continue feeding nitrogen to the lawn which promotes leaf/blade growth and greens things up.

Just my opinions.
Where did you get this 12-28-12?

Edit: Like this?

Starter Fert.

Last edited:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011

Just my opinions.
If people want to get really dialed in. I'd recommend soil samples

Reactions: wxman1