Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Not disagreeing with you. It is very much marketing speak. That all being said I believe there was also a thread on here in recent months on heavy metals found in soil and in food that @ISUAgronomist had some good input on.
I'm not a user of Milorganite. Now what they say about plants needing micronutrients is true however, the metals listed in the post above are not essential micronutrients for plant growth. So you're adding them, likely in small quantities, over time to your yard. Probably not a big deal if you're not eating the soil or grass. I'd personally never use Milorganite in a garden. Plants are scavengers of soil ions and if you begin to accumulate these heavy metals above naturally occurring levels in garden soil you will undoubtedly begin to increase the concentration in garden produce.

All that being said, pick your risk tolerance and make a decision you're comfortable with. I'm not comfortable with adding heavy metals especially to a garden. The same goes for the product Ironite...that's some nasty iron mine tailings some people use for deep green lawn color. That one is a no way in hell for me. Milorganite is more of an indifference.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1

KcCyclone77

Sep 21, 2017
To keep this pre-emergent topic going. I have a relatively new yard, new house 2019. Due to the drought last summer I had some bare spots that seeded and overseeded the rest of the yard last fall. Most of it took but only grew about an inch or two before winter hit, so it still looks like baby grass.

My question is, would I be okay to apply a pre-emergent this spring with this baby grass from last fall? Or should I hold off and let the new grass really take?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
To keep this pre-emergent topic going. I have a relatively new yard, new house 2019. Due to the drought last summer I had some bare spots that seeded and overseeded the rest of the yard last fall. Most of it took but only grew about an inch or two before winter hit, so it still looks like baby grass.

My question is, would I be okay to apply a pre-emergent this spring with this baby grass from last fall? Or should I hold off and let the new grass really take?
Hit it. Grass will be fine.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Just finished my pre emergent treatment. Whole lotta warm weather coming according to weather underground for DSM area

Is it too late now to put on pre-emergent dandelion killer fertilizer now? I've been putting it off. My yard is basically green now. I'm in the Cedar Rapids area.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
I discovered several years ago that it was cheaper to use a lawn service than do it myself. We go in with several houses and get a break for going together and paying cash. It would cost me more to do it myself than what I pay someone else to do it.

This may not be the case for some all. But it takes a big job off my hands.

Reactions: ianoconnor

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
This is made from like spent grain, and other non chemical based sources of nitrogen. It's referred to as "ringer". It's very very expensive for the amount of plant nutrition is provides. It's not fast acting. If you want to go the non-chemical route, go buy bags of alfalfa pellets from your local coop.
It does sort of smell like baked bread, so that's a plus.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My neighbor already mowed his hard. Why? I have no clue. I think he is just bored with being retired.

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
Milorganite. Only Milorganite. Do not mess with any Scotts crap that burns your lawn. Your whole lawn doesn't need weed killer. Spot treat weeds with your own pressure sprayer. Mix the weed killer with a bit of baby oil to act as a surfactant. If you have an average size lawn do 2-3 bags each in the front and back with Milorganite and repeat every month or so. But in in a rotary spreader and set the spreader setting on highest setting and feed that lawn to the max.

Make sure lawn gets water after application and water again after mowing.

I moved to a town home so I don't have to worry about lawn care anymore, but I swear by Milorganite. Please listen to me.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
What do you guys recommend putting down for pre-emergent?

I like to put down Scotts 49915 Crabgrass, Pre Emergent Control for Lawns

My lot is about 15000sf. 1/3-1/2 of that is the house, sidewalks and driveway (ish). So I get enough do about 10K sf

Put it down ASAP as temps are forecasted to get into the 70's by next week. Germination will happen quickly

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I filled up my sprayer with 2 4-D over the weekend. I'll use that all summer to keep up with the dandelions and thistles.

What do you use for crabgrass, clover or other broadleaf weeds?

I think I remember some recommendations for Drive last year.