Fertilizing my lawn for initial spring application

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Lawn experts -

I just found a Scotts Step 2 bag in my garage. Can I apply that now in mid-July in Ames or will it damage my lawn? I don't necessarily care if I 'waste' it since it's a bit of bonus that I found it. I just don't want it to burn or damage my lawn.
Yeah, what the guys above said is good advice. Even if you could water it in well ahead of what appears to be a long, hot and dry stretch the benefits would be minimal compared to the potential damage and waste of material. It would be perfectly suitable for use in September or early October.

Reactions: titleist

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017
When can we start seeding in central Iowa?
Rule of thumb for the Fall is August 15 - September 15.

Late August has worked best for me, a bit more rain after that date and still a few weeks of growing season remaining. You may still need to water some if the rain is sporatic, need to keep the seedbed reasonably wet, especially for a couple of weeks after germination.

• Winner
Reactions: mkadl

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I need to dethatch badly. Wait a bit to get the hot season behind us, wait til spring, or just go ahead now?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
From the world of "I have no clue what I'm doing but I saw it on youtube".

This tree is about 18 years old and every year it gets harder and harder to mow under because of the exposed roots.

1. I laid down a bunch of card board
2. Laid down a weed mat on top of the card board
3. Put down 18 bags of mulch
4. Wake up the next morning barely able to move because I'm so old and out of shape
5. I plan on adding some ground cover over near the sidewalk.
6. Hope for the best

PXL_20230811_122227285 (1) (1).jpg
PXL_20230811_123418790 (1) (1).jpg
PXL_20230812_194156170~2 (1) (1).jpg

PXL_20230813_143919449 (1) (1).jpg

Please let me know the 42 things I did wrong. I did move some of the mulch away from the trunk. I have someone coming out in the next couple of weeks to trim my trees, they are out of control.

Reactions: titleist

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Builder planted it. I wish they would have moved it further away from the sidewalk.
I assumed it wasn’t you, and the sidewalk part I was also questioning. I’m in no way shape or form an expert either, just was a friendly jab from someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about either way lol.

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY and dmclone

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny

This tree is about 18 years old and every year it gets harder and harder to mow under because of the exposed roots.

4. Wake up the next morning barely able to move because I'm so old and out of shape
6. Hope for the best

View attachment 115498
View attachment 115499
View attachment 115500

View attachment 115501

Please let me know the 42 things I did wrong. I did move some of the mulch away from the trunk. I have someone coming out in the next couple of weeks to trim my trees, they are out of control.
From experience, you’ll need some edging to keep the mulch from washing into the grass.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
From experience, you’ll need some edging to keep the mulch from washing into the grass.
I failed to mention that part. I bought some steel edging that I put around the mulch. I had to make a lot of cuts to get around the roots. You can see it if you look close at the 3rd picture.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019

6. Hope for the best

View attachment 115498
View attachment 115499
View attachment 115500

View attachment 115501

If that was my yard that tree would be history.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Should have used rock. Now you have annually piss around with it to keep it looking decent.
I use rubber mulch in my back yard, I may have to move to that if it's too much of a hassle in the future. Surprisingly, this is the first time I've ever use real mulch.

Reactions: JM4CY

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
When can we start seeding in central Iowa?
Fall looks like it'll be cooler and seasonally wet...

1692046669006.png

I'm in the western burbs of DSM and plan to aerate and seed the weekend before the UNI game.. Forecast looks HOT in the 10-day.. SO I'd hold off until this batch passes.

I'll need to water a bit before aeration unless we get more rain in the coming two weeks than they are calling for...

Donqluione

Feb 5, 2017

6. Hope for the best

View attachment 115498
View attachment 115499
View attachment 115500

View attachment 115501

It appears to be a red maple?? Maple trees are a species that tends to have roots exposed at the surface, because they're shallow rooted. Another possibility is compacted. poorly draining soil: although most people don't realize it, roots need oxygen, compacted or habitually wet soil may not allow oxygen to penetrate to the roots, so the roots basically come to the oxygen level of the soil.

You can put a LITTLE soil over top, but generally not more than an inch or the roots will suffocate and die, and thus the tree will die. The best solution at this point is to either mulch over the roots (being careful not to suffocate the roots with a thick quantity, or plant some sort of groundcover.

Note that the tree will be competing with the groundcover and very possibly will out-compete it, so it can be difficult to sustain groundcover under the tree. Select a groundcover that doesn't require a significant amount of water if you choose that option, give it a try and hope for the best.

If replacing the tree, be cognizant of its tendencies, select appropriately.

It IS awfully close to the sidewalk, which will probably cause future problems such as heaving the sidewalk. Something else to consider, even though 18 years old at this time, as it gets larger it will be more expense to remove the tree and repair the sidewalk, and you'll be behind in the growth of a replacement tree.

Reactions: wxman1

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron