Status
Not open for further replies.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Re: Position changes

Disagree, I think that Lamaak might move, but isn't too necessary!!! Harris should move to safety no doubt, because he is never going to play at RB, he needs to be on the field and we need more depth at Safety. Sandvig cannot move, case closed! Even if we get Gray we will only have five guys with schollys at corner, Sandvig needs to be there for now, if we still had Drenard it may be different. Bates will remain at QB through the year playing WR at times just like this year! Until we know Tiller and Jordan are ready we need to keep Bates there given the experience and the fact that come game 1 Tiller and Jordan will only have two weeks in the system! Bates stays until next year when we lose three guys at WR and he moves. So really the only one I fully agree with is Harris!

Maybe I'm behind and missed something but what happened to Drenard? I know he didnt play much but I didnt think he left the team.

What makes you think Sandvig cannot move?

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
b/c Drenard did leave, Drenard is transferring to Texas State! Without Drenard that leaves us with four scholarship corners, we move Sandvig that leaves us with three. Even if we get Gray that only gives us four guys, if we have another injury plagued year at corner we are screwed and have to burn redshirts or play walk-ons. So Sandvig needs to stay at corner or at least have the option to play both maybe, but yea! Drenard quit the team mid-season or so because of disagreements with Gene and is transferring to Texas State

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Re: Position changes

Maybe I'm behind and missed something but what happened to Drenard? I know he didnt play much but I didnt think he left the team.

What makes you think Sandvig cannot move?

Drenard left the team, differences with the coaching staff, mainly Chizik I believe is why. There are several threads from back in the season that mention it.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
What exactly do you think makes a center? Lamaak has the perfect build for it, and is a former high school QB to boot, so he would have a natural feel for it. KO is built like a guard. He is too big to be a center. Centers are typically a bit leaner and more athletic than guards, which enables them to snap the ball and recover to block, as well as allowing the qb an easier time physically getting in to take the snap.

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
You use what exactly a lot Snow White, but yea I think he could be a center. I just feel comfortable with what he have now, I will wait to see what Baysinger and Osemele can really do, not just what we think they might possibly be able to do. I think of a center as a little shorter than 6-4/6-5 though, that is my only complaint, a little lower center of gravity but he is still damn mobile. You are right Osemele isn't exactly that right now either! But yea that is my take!

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Also Lamaak played a little QB in High School, but he wasn't a QB, he was a TE moved to play QB for about 5 games of his senior year. But yea he is damn athletic, I think the bigger thing was that he was a high quality high school post player he was being recruited for basketball, so he has good footwork, because he does. Which is the bigger quality that helps him be such a good linemen!

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Is Baysinger that much better than Lamaak that he would force him inside? I would rather have the quick guy on the outside to combat the speed rushers.

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Right on buddy, right on, that is why I want Lamaak at tackle! Dedrick and him are the most mobile of the linemen and we really have no clue on Baysinger, it is all talk!

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
What makes you say that Baysinger is one of those five, until we have proof of that I don't think we can say it. I think he is a solid linemen, that the coaches are very high on, but does that mean he is one of the top five. Well I guess we will find out and maybe that will be the case, but their is no proof of that .... yet!

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
I'll have to agree with the cautioned enthusiasm for Baysinger. I hope to God that he is the real deal, but I think we'll find out a lot more about him and the rest of the line come spring practice. Thats where Lamaak made his move and his mark. I remember at the open practice I went to he was still at TE catching passes and looking pretty good at it...by the end of practice he was a co #1 w/ Vanstrom, whose primary role on the team seems to be waving towels.

I would love to see some competition with Brandon Johnson at center. We've got a lot of competition at guard: Stephens, Schmeling, Osemele, Blaes, Alvarez; and some at tackle: Dedrick, Lamaak, Baysinger, Hulbert; so hopefully somebody gets moved to center and the overall 5 best players get on the field.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If nothing else we might have the most depth at FB in the country.

Quantitiy does not equal quality...nearly all of those guys listed at fullback are walkons, and Catlett will be needed at tight end.

Yea really, too bad we don' t have that at TE or well DB or well pretty much everywhere, I feel pretty confident with what we have on the line and receiver now though!

The same goes for those two positions, the staff is just now begining to bring in quality. while most of the guys returning are average at best. Though, thank goodness, the '07 line was still immensely improved over the previous three years!

Right on buddy, right on, that is why I want Lamaak at tackle! Dedrick and him are the most mobile of the linemen and we really have no clue on Baysinger, it is all talk!

Frankly, I think that both Dedrick and Lamaak might both be better off inside, both need to get much stronger, and Dedrick struggled on the edge at times. That, however, would require someone being better than either of them.

What makes you say that Baysinger is one of those five, until we have proof of that I don't think we can say it.

I thought that the fact that the staff listed Baysinger in the two-deep over other scholarship players and walkons despite the fact that he was redshirting was fairly impressive.

I think he is a solid linemen, that the coaches are very high on, but does that mean he is one of the top five. Well I guess we will find out and maybe that will be the case, but their is no proof of that .... yet!

I think that's what Spring ball is for--and what we are all interested in seeing!

After all, Lamaak's best position might indeed be center. He's certainly not the pile driver that the right tackle position usually needs, however he stepped up pass protection. He's also not as long-armed as the more traditional 6-6 or 6-7 guy might be, doesn't have the same reach. However, he's exceptionally nimble on his feet, and smart, both of which are attributes of an outstanding center. Plus, it would solve a trouble spot.

One way or another, he and Dedrick both need to get stronger.

I'm baffled that anyone thinks that Sandvig could be a great safety. He's a corner despite the fact that he doesn't run all that well, he's just technically sound. And he's undersized, at 5-10 184. Now, Allen Bell might make a great safety, if he could be spared from corner. He's got center-fielder speed, and at 6-2 190 or so, excellent size for the position. The only problem with Brown and Smith is that they are undersized, one way or another.

Who might you suggest be switched from the defensive line to help out at tight end?

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
It would have to be a walk-on, I don't see a scholarship player moving over to TE! The thing with FB is yes, two of those guys are walk-ons, but one has been talked up ever since he got on campus in Mansfield, the guy is built like a brick **** house. I am not too worried about fullback. You can find some good walk-ons and in Mansfield and Ekwelundu, I think we have two pretty good guys!

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It would have to be a walk-on, I don't see a scholarship player moving over to TE!

I might have guessed someone like Nick Frere or Travis Ferguson, but there isn't a lot of depth at the position. Perhaps a stray offensive lineman will see time there as a blocker.

Is Jose Vargas still on the squad?

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I don't see it, Frere has some talent and adds good depth and I just don't see Ferguson as a TE, we will wait and see how the depth at end is before we move anyone like those two.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
shwartz (or how ever u spell his name..to lazy to look it up sorry..) is a scholly FB..

would Means move back to FB? or is he already there?

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
He is, I think we are fine at FB with Schwartz, Means, Mansfield, Ekwelundu, we might even be able to redshirt Schwartz depending on how good he is right now and the development of the latter three!

Status
Not open for further replies.