FB: Position changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I feel that we will see a few guys make some position switches going into next season. These are just based off my own gut feeling, no inside information. Here we go, in no particular order:

Ben Lamaak- I think Lamaak is going to move inside to allow Baysinger on the field at right tackle. It's no secret right guard and center were our two weakest spots on the line, so I expect Lamaak to slide in as a starter in one of those spots in an effort to get our 5 best lineman on the field at once.

Zac Sandvig- This depends allot on if Gray signs. If he does, I expect Zac to make the move to FS where he would form a great duo with James Smith. Sandvig's size, speed, and coverage ability make him a natural for the FS position, where he would compliment Smith's hard hitting run stopping with his coverage skills. If Gray doesn't sign, Zac will need to stay at corner to provide depth there.

Jason Harris- Harris is too good of an athlete to be sitting on the sidelines most of the time with the exception of special teams. he needs to move back to safety to get him on the field more making a difference, as I can't see him passing ARob and Bass on the depth chart.

Phil Bates- By the end of the season, look for Bates to be on the field as an every-down WR, assuming the staff develops some confidence in Jordan or Tiller. I expect him to still see time at QB all through the year, probably with a special package of plays designed to take advantage of his running ability. Don't be surprised to see he and Arnaud both in the backfield at the same time as well.

I am sure there will be more than this (particularly on the offensive line), but these are 4 of the more prominent ones.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Re: Position changes

I agree with a lot of what you say here, except that Sandvig's size makes him a natural for the FS position. He's 5'10", 184. I think with the lack of depth we had at CB last year, we need to keep him there. I really liked Chris Brown at the FS position last year, especially if they can put some weight on him. I wouldn't consider Brown to have prototypical size either, but I guess I just don't consider FS a position of need as much as I do CB.

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

I know what you are saying about corner depth, that is why I said that move would hinge on Gray's potential commitment. I would feel comfortable at corner with Singleton, McDowell, Bell, and Gray.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006

I really agree on Jason Harris, he isn't gonna play at RB so he should move back to db. I think another area that may involve position change is at TE. Right now our only TE is Collin Franklin, a JC that hasn't played. I expect D-Cat to move back to TE with the FB position being filled by Mansfield or Schwartz. Another guy, probably a d-lineman will move to TE to provide depth and blocking ability, kind of like what Nick Howe did last year.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

Man, I just hope to see Bates on more than just trick plays. Seems like last year the only times he was on the field were when we wanted to do something flashy. I remember against KU we did use him in some strictly conventional wideout sets, but the moral of the story is that he's too good of an athlete to let his talents dwaddle in position purgatory.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com

Man, I just hope to see Bates on more than just trick plays. Seems like last year the only times he was on the field were when we wanted to do something flashy. I remember against KU we did use him in some strictly conventional wideout sets, but the moral of the story is that he's too good of an athlete to let his talents dwaddle in position purgatory.

Plus the fact that whenever Bates was in the backfield, the opposing defense automatically keyed on him and usually resulted in a broken play.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA

I still think bates would be better suited for the saftey position. Afterall its what nebraska and oklahoma wanted him for

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa

Disagree, I think that Lamaak might move, but isn't too necessary!!! Harris should move to safety no doubt, because he is never going to play at RB, he needs to be on the field and we need more depth at Safety. Sandvig cannot move, case closed! Even if we get Gray we will only have five guys with schollys at corner, Sandvig needs to be there for now, if we still had Drenard it may be different. Bates will remain at QB through the year playing WR at times just like this year! Until we know Tiller and Jordan are ready we need to keep Bates there given the experience and the fact that come game 1 Tiller and Jordan will only have two weeks in the system! Bates stays until next year when we lose three guys at WR and he moves. So really the only one I fully agree with is Harris!

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny

Jason Harris- Harris is too good of an athlete to be sitting on the sidelines most of the time with the exception of special teams. he needs to move back to safety to get him on the field more making a difference, as I can't see him passing ARob and Bass on the depth chart.

I would totally agree. I think he needs to find a way on the field somewhere. Safety, nickel RB somewhere. Hes a pretty talented athlete.

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa

I just feel that we could use the extra depth at Safety, I feel solid with Brown and SMith and pretty good with Steve Johnson, Hunley isn't great though and I think Harris could be equal with Hunley! I feel that with Schwartz and if we get one more young RB this year we have solid depth at RB with Robinson, Bass, Thompson, Schwartz and maybe another guy!

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa

I don't think Bates will play Safety, I think he would be good there, but I also think he is a good receiver! Either or, I see receiver as his likely position that way we utilize his talent!

Drizzle

Nov 9, 2007

I just feel that we could use the extra depth at Safety, I feel solid with Brown and SMith and pretty good with Steve Johnson, Hunley isn't great though and I think Harris could be equal with Hunley! I feel that with Schwartz and if we get one more young RB this year we have solid depth at RB with Robinson, Bass, Thompson, Schwartz and maybe another guy!

What about Jason Scales? We should have three pretty solid RB, and RB competition, with experience in A-Rob, Bass, and Scales I think a move to DB would be the best for Jason Harris. Either S or CB, whichever the staff feels he can adapt to the fastest. I believe he will be a senior next year so hopefully he can pick up where he left off...

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I agree with all of those moves. I look for Lamaak to move inside so that Baysinger can start at RT. He should knock Schmeling out of his spot (maybe to compete at center with Johnson).

IMO Bates will play both QB and WR this year. I think he will get a series or two a game at QB and the rest at WR.

I like the thought of Sandvig and Harris at safety. Play there was not very good this year. Smith did get better as the season went on. Brown had flashes.

IMO Catlett will play more and more straight TE with Means getting time at H-Back.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com

I just feel that we could use the extra depth at Safety, I feel solid with Brown and SMith and pretty good with Steve Johnson, Hunley isn't great though and I think Harris could be equal with Hunley!

Hunley got burned pretty bad a couple of times in the KU game. But as the game went on he started making more plays and doing better. I don't know how much game time play Hunley got this year but it was nice to see him improve through that game.

I do think that Harris could be better then Hunley, but it has to be hard on a guy playing a different position every year.

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Yea I just forgot to put in Scales! I think that Sandvig should stay at corner for now, we just don't have the depth there right now, I think we need at least 10 scholly guys at DB. So if we get gray that gives us five corners and five safeties if we move Harris, plus some freshmen! I liked the way Smith and Brown played, I think Smith played damn well, but you know Smith is young and Brown made some hellacious plays. I think we need depth yes, so I agree with some moves but not Sandvig yet.

I think eventually Lamaak might be a guard and Baysinger might be ready to start next year, but I don't count out Schmeling yet!! I am going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and let him prove himself at Guard this year! I think that Lamaak will most likely end up at guard the following year. I just think he did a great job out there and we should see what happens! I don't think Schmeling was horrible, not great, not bad, just decent! But yea! I like the chance of depth we have with the five starters, Blaes, Baysinger and Osemele though!! Plus wasn't it Osemele that was the offensive scout team player of the year! So I find it more likely that Osemele might just beat out Schmeling on his own!

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Also it seems to me that Means was down the charts, I want to see what the kid can do, but he has a lot of competition. I agree that Catlett will probably play more TE, but it is sort of dependent on which new guy is better Collin Franklin or guys like Kris Means, Taylor Mansfield, Brian Ekwelundu or Jeremiah Schwartz as another possibility at FB! The kid has some competition! We really need to get another true TE though, so yea!

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Yea really, too bad we don' t have that at TE or well DB or well pretty much everywhere, I feel pretty confident with what we have on the line and receiver now though!

snowcraig2.0

Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yea I just forgot to put in Scales! I think that Sandvig should stay at corner for now, we just don't have the depth there right now, I think we need at least 10 scholly guys at DB. So if we get gray that gives us five corners and five safeties if we move Harris, plus some freshmen! I liked the way Smith and Brown played, I think Smith played damn well, but you know Smith is young and Brown made some hellacious plays. I think we need depth yes, so I agree with some moves but not Sandvig yet.

I think eventually Lamaak might be a guard and Baysinger might be ready to start next year, but I don't count out Schmeling yet!! I am going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and let him prove himself at Guard this year! I think that Lamaak will most likely end up at guard the following year. I just think he did a great job out there and we should see what happens! I don't think Schmeling was horrible, not great, not bad, just decent! But yea! I like the chance of depth we have with the five starters, Blaes, Baysinger and Osemele though!! Plus wasn't it Osemele that was the offensive scout team player of the year! So I find it more likely that Osemele might just beat out Schmeling on his own!

Lamaak could move to center as well. I could see that change as being more likely than guard actually.

sdsmith4

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
My question though is he really a center, I guess I really don't see Lamaak as a center!! Not that he wouldn't be good, I guess I see it being more likely for Osemele to either steal Center or Guard, he seems to me to be the likely candidate to eventually be the Center, I guess I see the future of the O-Line as of right now being Baysinger, Stephens, Osemele, Lamaak, Hulbert for 2009's O-Line and we will wait and see who else we can plug in other than Jared Edwards and Tuftee, Klerekoper and maybe Bykowski

Status
Not open for further replies.