Favorite Professor

sweaty7

Nov 8, 2008
Charlottesville, VA
Maybe somebody could help me with this one. Back in about '93 or so, I took Intro to Western Civilization 2 (I think it was History 202) with a great professor. He said he normally taught upper level courses, but liked to teach intro courses every once in a while to try and get people excited about history. He was a great teacher and really funny. He followed the book in terms of chronology, but his lectures were on whatever subject he thought was interesting from the time period we were on in class. He did a whole lecture on Beethoven and another one on the Warsaw Ghetto. He would always get off topic & just go on about whatever was on his mind. I remember he would pull the leg hairs of students that fell asleep in class.

I loved his class and he was one of the main factors that got me interested in social science. Unfortunately, I can't remember his name. Does anyone know of a history professor like I'm describing? He had a beard, if that helps.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Man....it's hard to remember some of the profs from when I graduated in 2001. I am old!

1. I liked my intro to mgmt professor. I forget his name, but I think he eventually was the head of the mgmt department.

2. I'll agree with everyone on Anne Clem. Good teacher.

3. There was an old guy that probably retired not long after I was gone in Accounting. I called him B. Mike. I think his last name was Doran. Anyway, I don't think he was extremely popular, but I really liked him and I got a ton out of his class. I learned a lot.

4. I liked both Marv Boullian and Jim Kurtenbach a lot. Marv taught cost accounting....by far the type of accounting that I found to be the easiest. I loved that class.

5. There was a marketing professor that I can't recall. I hated marketing (it's the type of thing that if I read it, it made sense, but when it came time for the test, it made no sense). Anyway, I was not doing extremely well in that class. That semester I missed a week due to a stomach virus that put me in the hospital. He found out and gave me an A- for the semester that I did not deserve at all. It was an Asian man....maybe a Wong or a Wu? He was a nice guy and the only prof that followed up that semester with me about my illness (and this was in a large lecture class when I had several smaller classes).

6. I had some woman for the mgmt class you have to take your last semester. It was a night class and she gave us nights off to go to basketball games. I appreciated that!

7. I had a guy for tax that I could not stand. His tests were killer and were not open book. I could not get myself to care about memorizing accounting tax issues.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
dr berinie gerstein-physical chemistry-was an excellent teacher and taught p.chem so it was enjoyable.
dr jay lush and dr. lanoy hazel-animal genetics and animal breeding-wre 2 of ISU 3 profs recognized by the russian academy of science.

dr earl heady -dept of ag economics-probably one of the more brilliant staff members at iowa state-i just took one of his courses when i was in grad school.this prof was gone most of the time on foreign agricultural and development projects,but still found time to manage approximately 275 to 300 masters and ph.d students while he was a prof at iowa state.one of the smartest profs ever at iowa state.
another guy that was extremely intelligent that i had some carbohydrate courses under was dr. dexter french who was head of the biochemistry-biophysics department at ISU in the 60's french was very well known for his excellent work on the molecular architecture of starch molrcules. french's excellent work and ideas on starch led watson and crick to define the molecular architecture of DNA and RNA and to the their work on the genetic code

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
1. William Edwards- teaches econ 330
2. Anne Clem
3. Jeff Thayne- livestock judging coach

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron