Favorite Misunderstood Song Lyrics

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
yellow ledbetter (whole song)

You can't mishear the lyrics to Yellow Ledbetter. There are no real lyrics to Yellow Ledbetter. No matter what you hear there is a pretty good chance Eddie actually sang it that way at least once.

CloneCone21

Mar 11, 2009
Ames
Friend of mine thought Kid Cudi said "i feel so caught up in the butt," not in a bud... and argued with us about it.

je4cy23

Jul 11, 2009
Des Moines
Sorry, just googled it - my world just changed a little.

"revved up like a deuce"

Don't know what it means, though.

Blinded by the Light was written by Bruce Springsteen and the original lyric is "cut loose like a deuce" like in "little deuce coop" a car (hot-rod). I looked on Youtube but couldn't find a good example but Springsteen explains during a VHI Storytellers episode that when Manfred Mann covered the song the indeed changed it from deuce to ******. He didn't seem to know exactly why though.

vortec22

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2009
Grinnell, IA
Blinded by the Light was written by Bruce Springsteen and the original lyric is "cut loose like a deuce" like in "little deuce coop" a car (hot-rod). I looked on Youtube but couldn't find a good example but Springsteen explains during a VHI Storytellers episode that when Manfred Mann covered the song the indeed changed it from deuce to ******. He didn't seem to know exactly why though.

I thought it was "wrapped up like a deuce, another roller in the night" singing about shooting dice.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
In homage to the Favorite Song Lyrics Thread I thought this might be interesting.

My own personal one is as a kid I thought CCR Bad Moon Rising said "There's a bathroom on the right."

My favorite heard from someone else is Pearl Jam Glorified G misheard as "Four or Five Virgins on a Pelican". I'm a huge Pearl Jam fan and I can't listen to that song and hear anything else. (it's really "glorified version of a pellet gun").

Strange, I also thought this as a kid.

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006
excuse me while i kiss this guy....hendrix

Wow, thank you for this revelation. Ten years ago or so, I stumbled across kissthisguy.com, a website dedicated to misheard lyrics. I finally understand the name of the website.

je4cy23

Jul 11, 2009
Des Moines
I thought it was "wrapped up like a deuce, another roller in the night" singing about shooting dice.

For those that care..

Springsteen original lyrics....And she was blinded by the light. Cut loose like a deuce, another runner in the night.

Manfred Mann lyrics.... Blinded by the light, revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night. (although it sounds an awful lot like ******.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLv_vk6iWn4]Springsteen explaining Blinded by the Light - YouTube[/ame]

peachy

Oct 14, 2006
A couple from high school that friends would sing:

Bulletboys - Smooth Up in Ya
Girl thought is was Schoolgirl Figure

Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like A Lady
Friend thought it was Do It Like A Lady

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Jose, can you see?

That one took me a loooong time. Bad teachers, I guess.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
It's not really misunderstood lyrics, but I used to drive my kids nuts by singing along with Pat Benatar when she sang "Hit me with a wet mop." There were a bunch of other songs I used to change the lyrics to just to drive them nuts but can't think of them at the moment.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNINw1wNdno&feature=related"]Misheard Lyrics - Pearl Jam - Even Flow - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1RYJDlqupA&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
AC/DC - Dirty Deeds

When I was young I thought they were singing "Dirty Deeds and the dunder chink." I just figured they were not a fan of the Chinese.

aforstate

Jan 23, 2010
One of my buddies is notorious for butchering lyrics. A few examples:

Stroke me, stroke me = STRONGMAN! STRONGMAN!

Rock the Casbah/Sharif don't like it = Rock the cat's paw... Rob the Cashbox... various other things... and The Chief don't like it.

The rockets come at us sideways = Let's ROCK this banana sideways!

FWIW, as a child, I always thought John Fogerty was telling me that the bathroom was on the right as well.