Favorite Iowa misconduct excuse...

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
It is not really a big deal. Besides, I don't think that we will be seeing many more arrests.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hawkeye arrests are as predictable as atomic decay. They could use hawkeye arrests to date historic objects.

One thing you can count on.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
"They're just kids"

This is by far my favorite. Yeah they're just kids who are getting a free education (albeit at EIU) for playing ball and they can't take a five year break from smoking up or popping pills.

Oh, by the way, there are "kids" younger than them getting blown away in Iraq every month.

A little time in an infantry unit humping a pack and carrying a weapon might help these kids realize what they've got.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
I tend to agree, but the thing is, the Army does drug testing and background checks, and they wouldn't take most/all of these players who've been arrested. It makes quite a statement -- they aren't up to the US Army's standards for enlistment as a grunt infantfyman Private, but they are easily be admitted to the U of I, and with a full free-ride scholarship!

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Can any of you computer guys put together a "new" hawkeye football outfit with black and yellow jail stripes?

redbird

Apr 9, 2006
Is the consensus that those types of things (drugs) don't go on here in Ames? I can recall hearing from a former member of the football team that the previous coaching staff 'caught' a former defensive end smoking the wacky in the hotel before a bowl game and kept that issue 'to an in house punishment'.

Either be good or be good at it.

'Clones Fan

Nov 13, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
A couple of more favorites of mine:

1. These are good kids, they are just in with a bad crowd.

2. When we started winning big we got a better quality player, these problems just go with winning.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Is the consensus that those types of things (drugs) don't go on here in Ames? I can recall hearing from a former member of the football team that the previous coaching staff 'caught' a former defensive end smoking the wacky in the hotel before a bowl game and kept that issue 'to an in house punishment'.

I can assure you that this has NEVER happened. No football coach would risk his job and career on a thing like that. Urban legend or something.

'Clones Fan

Nov 13, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This is directly from the Hawk Board from a link that was posted above:

Its all hip hop music, the kind that says crap about smokin pot and raping women. That stuff is ruining this generation. It has to go, or this same stuff will always go on.

MaxPower57

Mar 30, 2006
I can assure you that this has NEVER happened. No football coach would risk his job and career on a thing like that. Urban legend or something.

Some players from the previous regime DID get caught, or tested positive, or whatever for pot. The way the situation was handled kinda created a divide in the team. It was a big story and at the time ready to explode, but it kinda got swept under the rug. The big name with the story was a certain 4.8 40 Rastafarian Tailback.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Some players from the previous regime DID get caught, or tested positive, or whatever for pot. The way the situation was handled kinda created a divide in the team. It was a big story and at the time ready to explode, but it kinda got swept under the rug. The big name with the story was a certain 4.8 40 Rastafarian Tailback.

I'd always heard the stuff he was doing should have made him faster not slower...

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I tend to agree, but the thing is, the Army does drug testing and background checks, and they wouldn't take most/all of these players who've been arrested. It makes quite a statement -- they aren't up to the US Army's standards for enlistment as a grunt infantfyman Private, but they are easily be admitted to the U of I, and with a full free-ride scholarship!

The army would probably welcome these kids with open arms as well, mostly. The Army's standards aren't incredibly high, at least for the infantry.

I'm sure it does go on in Ames. it's hard to believe that it doesn't. That being said, you can create a culture that tolerates it, or you can create a culture that doesn't condone it. I think the athletic department at ISU has done a good job in that regard. I think it's obvious the job that UofI has done.

As a taxpayer, quite frankly, I demand accountability from the athletic department in Iowa city. A couple of arrests and "let the facts come out" is an acceptable answer. 20 arrests and a possible sexual assault involving two other players, and you better be jumping through hoops to fix it.

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
A couple of more favorites of mine:

1. These are good kids, they are just in with a bad crowd.

There is probably quite a bit of truth to this. The problem is that the "bad crowd" being spoken of is iowa football.

For most of these arrests, the actions aren't that bad. They are what you might expect out of any college kid. The problem I have is that there has got to be a point when, as a team member, team captain, coaching staff, or university, you so enough is enough.

If I were an iowa fan (sorry, give me a minute to clean up the vomit) I would be more worried that people are making excuses as if this is ok, and that there are so many that are getting in trouble. What all this is telling me is that there is a lack of commitment by the players to the team, coaches, and university.

Kirk had his good run because he had great leaders on those teams. He hasn't had those recently, and that's why he has been having so many problems on and off the field. He could probably take a lesson from Joe Pa on how to keep a team inline.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
"This kind of crap happens all the time in my neighborhood."

mobile_home_iowa_1960_small.jpg

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
I have heard this one a lot too. "It's not there fault. They had a low income, and a bad home life." biggest load of crap I have heard in a long time, right up there with "Barack obama is going to change the world."

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
It seems to me that Kirk Ferentz probably took a lot of chances on some low character kids because he felt like he had to in order to keep competing at the high level that he did in 2002. That plan backfired.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
The army would probably welcome these kids with open arms as well, mostly. The Army's standards aren't incredibly high, at least for the infantry.

The Army requires a drug test at enlistment. If they test positive for marijuana (or any drugs), they're out.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
No excuses needed. Simply wear a WWJD wristband. It worked for Stevie Alford for eight years.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The sad thing about the whole deal is that there is absolutely no excuse for this. Hawk fans should be pissed, not be looking for excuses. The IC police have always been very soft on charging athlete's. As far as the last two go, the cops would not be looking for something in these guys rooms just for the heck of it, or on a wild hunch. They knew these guys were up to something.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron