Favorite for OC job

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
I'm not thrilled because we've already gone the 'promote from within' route. Offense has sucked for a long time, we need new blood not just rotating deck chairs.

I agree. If this doesn't work next year we put klenakis back where he was and hire someone from the outside

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'd prefer fresh blood. It would take some real guts or stubbornness to try this approach twice in a row.

Even if Klenakis is poised to be outstanding, and he might be (if he's even the guy), this still has a huge PR problem to it.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I'm not thrilled because we've already gone the 'promote from within' route. Offense has sucked for a long time, we need new blood not just rotating deck chairs.

I understand what you are saying, but I still look at Coach K as a new guy with us since 2013 was his first year with us. I also don't think he had much influence on the 2013 offense other than trying to figure out how to make 3rd string OLmen block.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
We all need to remember Klenakis's resume is much more impressive then Mess's was when he was promoted from within.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
If this were going to be the move, it should have already happened. Nothing against K, and nothing against hiring from within...but why don't you shuffle when we had games we could still win?

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I understand what you are saying, but I still look at Coach K as a new guy with us since 2013 was his first year with us. I also don't think he had much influence on the 2013 offense other than trying to figure out how to make 3rd string OLmen block.

I agree, he came aboard last year so its not like he has been here for 5+years like Mess was with Herman. If this does end up being the way Paul goes, atleast Coach K has some reputable experience at the OC position.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

Agree, he is an outside guy really. And after looking at what he did with the line after all those injuries, I was really impressed with him. Look at Oni, Gannon, Dagel and how much better they got. ONI for example wasn't ready to play early in the year, by year end he was much much better and has the potential to be a really good linemen. I am actually ok with coach k taking over

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Can we all just agree that whoever it is, they'll be exponentially better than Messingham?

Oh, we can?

/thread then.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
People need to get over the 'in house' hire butt hurt. So you don't think K is a good idea because Mess didn't work out? Ok, so who do you think has more knowledge about the entire situation, you or CPR? I get that this is a message board...we are all spit balling here but this idea that K wouldn't be a good hire just because he's already a coach CPR liked enough to hire makes no sense.

If anything, the continuity would give K a huge leg up...the formations he put into place this year will work but it takes time for a program to change the way we did.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
If this were going to be the move, it should have already happened. Nothing against K, and nothing against hiring from within...but why don't you shuffle when we had games we could still win?

Doesnt it have to be listed publicly for a period of time?

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
If Coach K wasn't already on staff, this board would be jumping up and down based on his experience with the Pistol at Nevada, Kapernick being developed by him, etc.

I noticed back in the Kansas game that Grant was always met by Coach K every time, and that continued in the WVU game. I know that he was likely relaying messages from Messingham, but I think at the same time he may have been delivering his own message.

He is a heck of alot more qualified than Mess at calling plays at this level, the o-line is already position named for his offense, and he may have been the guy spending the season telling Mess what he should be calling with the offense in the film room.

I love the thought of fresh blood, but won't be in the dumps if it is him.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA

This. If Rhoads wanted to hire from within or thought Klenakis had the goods to be able to take the reins of the offense, why the hell didn't he do it 6 games into the season when we could all see how bad Mess was? It could've been a great "interim" gig that would have given Rhoads the option of keeping Klenakis on the staff in his normal role at the end of the season or promoting him if he had done well.

One thing is for sure, this is Rhoads' last shot at getting the right guy in place for this position on the staff. He'd better get it right, not only for the sake of the team and the fans, but for himself as well.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

My thoughts as well. Maybe he would be great, but my impression on the hire will be skewed by the last internal hire.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Honestly, I think the OL was the weak link on the entire team this year. I would like to see coach K concentrate on JUST the OL. As far as an OC goes, we need someone who can recruit, someone who can get the ball to our playmakers in space, and someone who isn't so damn predictable.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids

This is the one thing that I thought of immediately, why not do it earlier? Unless this was CPR trying to keep the focus on football and not on the commotion that the firing would of caused.

Help Support Us

Become a patron