Favorite Animated Movies

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Are we allowed to include Space Jam? That was my all time favorite movie growing up

Include away. The live action/animated mixes like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Mary Poppins aren't the same movies without their animated characters.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
A lot of the ones already mentioned. I'll add some classics:

An American Tail
The Land Before Time
The Iron Giant
The Secret of NIMH

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Watched Moana and Coco on a flight last year and those were good. I want to watch Brave sometime.

Brave is good. It's not traditional, but it's clever and good for empowering young girls!

Tangled is underrated, imo. Some pretty deep themes in that one.

It's pretty easily my favorite of the "princess" movies. It's so clever, and Zachary Levi is funny. The themes are definitely heavier than the run of the mill Disney themes!

I pretty much love them all so these are my absolute favorites:
1. Finding Nemo
2. Wall-E
3. Emperor's New Groove
4. Shrek

Dang it, I forgot ENG.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
A lot of the ones already mentioned. I'll add some classics:

An American Tail
The Land Before Time
The Iron Giant
The Secret of NIMH

An American Tail is a good one. Surprisingly, I've never seen the other three. I've caught bits of Iron Giant and NIMH, but never from beginning to end.

Also among the classics is Fern Gully. Although, I saw it a few years ago and it didn't seem to have the same vibe that I remembered.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
An American Tail is a good one. Surprisingly, I've never seen the other three. I've caught bits of Iron Giant and NIMH, but never from beginning to end.

Also among the classics is Fern Gully. Although, I saw it a few years ago and it didn't seem to have the same vibe that I remembered.

Agree. And another classic on my list, Watership Down. Haven't seen the remake.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
The Emoji Movie

was absolutely terrible.

giphy.gif

You had me for a second there.

• Funny
Reactions: Daserop and GTO

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Animated movies encompass such a wide range anymore, I thought it would be interesting to get a discussion going on CF's favorites. Having kids will likely affect how many you have seen, but I'd like to keep it open to all styles (old-school Disney animation, computer animation, stop-motion, anime, etc)

I'll throw out my Top 10, but it's razor thin on some of these rankings:

1. How To Train Your Dragon
2. Big Hero 6
3. Incredibles
4. Wreck-It Ralph
5. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
6. Toy Story
7. Aladdin
8. Tangled
9. Frozen
10. Lion King

Just missed: Up, Finding Nemo, Wall-E, Shrek

Underrated: Kubo and the Two Strings, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Arthur Christmas

giphy.gif

I'll have to think about this one

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Anyone who doesn't have Up has an invalid list.

The first five minutes punches you right in the feels. It really caught me off-guard based on the trailers leading up to it.

The first time I saw that movie, we were dealing with a number of losses in our family. My wife was a mess and we had a really hard time enjoying the movie.

It took several years before we re-watched it and appreciated the story and symbolism.

JusHappy2BeHere

Jan 22, 2013
Houston, TX
Your Name
Redline
Spirited Away
A Silent Voice
Akira

these are more out of the mainstream... all are Anime and are definitely worth your time.

If you don't think you like Anime, sit and watch Your Name... if you give it a chance you may open up an entire new art form for yourself.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The first five minutes punches you right in the feels. It really caught me off-guard based on the trailers leading up to it.

The first time I saw that movie, we were dealing with a number of losses in our family. My wife was a mess and we had a really hard time enjoying the movie.

It took several years before we re-watched it and appreciated the story and symbolism.

Yeah, that would be tough timing. Surprisingly impactful for an animated movie

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops

It's a favorite in our ho...SQUIRREL!!!

Some of my favorites are really REALLY old school:
Jungle Book (Baloo dancing to "Bare Necessities")
The Rescuers (Bob Newhart & Eva Gabor voicing heroic mice...what's not to love?)
The Sword and the Stone
Bambi (I love Thumper & Flower)
Dumbo
Lady & The Tramp (love Peg and the chorus in the pound)
101 Dalmations (Cruella is the perfect nemesis)

And the best for last:

Fantasia
My mother taught me to listen to classical music with my eyes closed, and let the music paint a picture in my mind. Fantasia is the embodiment of that. Hippos in tu-tus? Yes, please!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron