F1 2023 Discussion

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Honestly in this current setup, if you’re not going to win it’s better to be 3rd? Difference in $10mil prize money but cash is not an object for Ferrari, so take the extra wind tunnel/CFD time. Sainz did a great job tanking the weekend to avoid jumping Mercedes haha
So is it either or? Either you get 10 million or the wind tunnel? I would assume the 2nd place got the extra wind tunnel time also

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
After Qatar he was a lot closer to Albon, and hasn't wrecked it since then IIRC. But if he keeps his seat I'm assuming a large part of it is Williams just not having a good option to replace him with.
I think that's the real reason. If they had a better option he would have still been in F2 this year and that's really where he should have been instead of getting rushed to F1. If Latifi wasn't a crash waiting to happen he'd still have that seat.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So is it either or? Either you get 10 million or the wind tunnel? I would assume the 2nd place got the extra wind tunnel time also
As with everything F1 it's way more complicated, but simply speaking the top constructor gets the most prize money but the least Wind Tunnel/CFD time for the next period, last place team gets the most time.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
There is a set amount of wind tunnel/CFD time that teams are allocated. The higher in the constructor standings, the less time you're allocated. Intended to be a way to give teams lower in the standings greater opportunity to develop and tighten the gap to the top teams.

At the end of the season there is prize money awarded based on placement in the constructors standings. 1st place get the most, 10th the least.

So essentially, there is a financial reward to finishing higher, but a development "reward" to finishing lower if that makes sense? Which is why I was saying it's maybe a "benefit" to finishing lower if you're a team where money isn't a concern, like Ferrari, if you're not going to be the winner. Some midfield teams really can benefit from the prize money though. It can be the difference between being able to spend at the cost cap or not for a few of them.

Reactions: Drew0311

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
There is a set amount of wind tunnel/CFD time that teams are allocated. The higher in the constructor standings, the less time you're allocated. Intended to be a way to give teams lower in the standings greater opportunity to develop and tighten the gap to the top teams.

At the end of the season there is prize money awarded based on placement in the constructors standings. 1st place get the most, 10th the least.

So essentially, there is a financial reward to finishing higher, but a development "reward" to finishing lower if that makes sense? Which is why I was saying it's maybe a "benefit" to finishing lower if you're a team where money isn't a concern, like Ferrari, if you're not going to be the winner. Some midfield teams really can benefit from the prize money though. It can be the difference between being able to spend at the cost cap or not for a few of them.
You can also add legacy money to that. The longer a team has been in F1, they also get more money for that than a new team does. I don't know the formulas or the mechanics for that system, but Ferrari gets the most as they have been around the longest. (at least that's my understanding)

Reactions: BooneCy

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
You can also add legacy money to that. The longer a team has been in F1, they also get more money for that than a new team does. I don't know the formulas or the mechanics for that system, but Ferrari gets the most as they have been around the longest. (at least that's my understanding)
The Concorde Agreement seems like it's complicated for not other reason than to be complicated.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Interesting article on just how dominant Max's year was statistically.

With 10 races to go, Verstappen had scored more points than any driver managed in 2023. But the astonishing thing about this is that even if he’d stopped racing at this point and his rivals finished in the order they did each weekend without him, no one would have amassed enough points to catch him.

• Wow
Reactions: mramseyISU

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
Ferrari will actually get more money than Mercedes because they were the company that helped establish F1 and get extra every year AND more wind tunnel time because they finished 3rd. The advantages are built in for Ferrari and they still haven’t won a championship in over a decade.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Wild story to start the off season. I understand why there would be some questions about it but it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
Myself being a Haas fan. this is probably the best direction, just a fresh start. Nico was not happy about the lack of upgrades.

I do wonder if Gene will sell to Andretti.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Andretti…

739fbe44-1700-49fb-88b3-c3976dd5607c_text.gif

Help Support Us

Become a patron