Excited for the future

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They had no buy games?

They lost a bunch of close games where they had a lead late, IIRC. But got blown out a handful of times also. That was the worst ISU team in a long long while. Probably a 11-12 win team with a full season.

Even with 11 wins, 0-fer conference and two 20 loss seasons in a row were the worst since the mid 70s.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
The offensive struggles have been tough to watch and there is no excuse for what happened yesterday. However, the future is bright. The talent upgrade coming in the next 2 classes has me pumped for the future of this program. And if you're not a recruiting junkie like me, this is what we all get to look forward to.

https://247sports.com/player/jt-rock-46127562/ - he'll be a consensus 4 star once Rivals pulls their head out of their ass
Absolutely - and I would still contend that T.J. has overdelivered in both years still:
- In 2022 he only had one legit scorer in Brockington and took that group to the Sweet 16
- This year he takes a random assortment of St. Bonny transfers, Gabe, freshman point guard, and no quality bigs to the tourny losing in first round. Not a disappointment to get this team to the dance.

Now that he has top tier offensive talent coming in, I am excited to see what he can do with it. Would love to see us stomp Iowa's ass next year, play 500 ball in the league, and sneak into the tourney.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
I’m not sure if there is a thread on projected starting lineups for next year so I’ll post here. I hope TJ commits to the young guys early….and they are ready for it.

Tre King
Biliew
Momcilovic
Tamin
Transfer shooting guard

Bench:
Ward (if he returns)
Transfer big
Watson (expect a jump offensively)
Williams
Hamilton

Williams is not going to start over Lipsey at PG and his shooting %s were not good enough at Temple to expect him to fill that role. I’m indifferent to Rob coming back but if he does I hope his usage goes down.

Looking at this I think it’s imperative that TJ get a quality shooter in the portal foremost, then we could use a capable big body in the middle. It will help if Hamilton can shoot, and maybe Fish surprises on the upside and challenges Ward and Watson for PT. I like this bench if we can get a transfer big more skilled than Rob. If Momcilovic is physically ready for the Big 12 then start him and Biliew and let them combine for 25 or more shots per game. They have to be better than what we had most of this year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I’m not sure if there is a thread on projected starting lineups for next year so I’ll post here. I hope TJ commits to the young guys early….and they are ready for it.

Tre King
Biliew
Momcilovic
Tamin
Transfer shooting guard

Bench:
Ward (if he returns)
Transfer big
Williams
Hamilton

Williams is not going to start over Lipsey at PG and his shooting %s were not good enough at Temple to expect him to fill that role. I’m indifferent to Rob coming back but if he does I hope his usage goes down.

Looking at this I think it’s imperative that TJ get a quality shooter in the portal foremost, then we could use a capable big body in the middle. It will help if Hamilton can shoot, and maybe Fish surprises on the upside and challenges Ward and Watson for PT. I like this bench if we can get a transfer big more skilled than Rob. If Momcilovic is physically ready for the Big 12 then start him and Biliew and let them combine for 25 or more shots per game. They have to be better than what we had most of this year.

If Lipsey improves his ability to score can't he be the 2?

Having two guards on the floor together that can handle can go a long ways.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
l know Billew is good but why is everyone assuming he is one and done. Most of 5 star players are not one and done. How many players from 2022 class is projected as one and done? Miller from Alabama, **** from Kansas, and?

Because that’s what his team is telling everyone.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe

Tre King
Biliew
Momcilovic
Tamin
Transfer shooting guard

Bench:
Ward (if he returns)
Transfer big
Williams
Hamilton

Whar Fish? He just led his team to state championship in Missouri. Gave a good post game interview.

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
If Lipsey improves his ability to score can't he be the 2?

Having two guards on the floor together that can handle can go a long ways.
If Lipsey improves his shot enough that he can slide to the 2 that’s great. But I’d still like to get a good shooter who’s capable of being a solid Big 12 starter. I think Lipsey will always be at his best at PG.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
l know Billew is good but why is everyone assuming he is one and done. Most of 5 star players are not one and done. How many players from 2022 class is projected as one and done? Miller from Alabama, **** from Kansas, and?
Yeah, I feel like this opinion is partially driven by our own lack of experience signing recruits of this caliber. Yes, he is a top 15 recruit, and yes guys at that level often go one and done. But they don't always go one and done.

I would be curious if you went back and looked at McDs AA players the past few years to see how many of them went one and done.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Yeah, I feel like this opinion is partially driven by our own lack of experience signing recruits of this caliber. Yes, he is a top 15 recruit, and yes guys at that level often go one and done. But they don't always go one and done.

I would be curious if you went back and looked at McDs AA players the past few years to see how many of them went one and done.

The fact he had the g-league in his top 5 is a pretty good indication. Let’s look at last years #11 ranked composite ranking(Omaha’s ranking)Jarace Walker, currently a projected lottery pick. 247’s 14th ranked player last year (their ranking for Omaha) was Brandon Miller going to be a top 5 pick. Maybe Omaha will fall in love with it here and want to make a run at a title, but we should be prepared to have him only for a year.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Maybe they shot their FT without any pressure since they were too far behind. How did that team finish 2-22?
We hardly got to the line that year with opponents making 100 more than we attempted and attempting nearly double what we did.

1679252719875.png

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I said it before and I’ll say it again, I fully expect Lipsey to become a consistent shooter. Works too hard and already has the foundation mechanically. You could sort of tell the majority of his issues are in his head mentally.
That 3 pointer he hit at the end of the Pitt game was the perfect example.
The game was out of hand by that point, he knew he had to shoot and the consequences of his shot attempt were minimal.
Rose up, zero hesitation, and drilled it.
I full expect him to be a consistent shooter by his junior year.

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011

Looking at the most recent class (2021) I think 13 or 14 of the 24 were one and done

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I said it before and I’ll say it again, I fully expect Lipsey to become a consistent shooter. Works too hard and already has the foundation mechanically. You could sort of tell the majority of his issues are in his head mentally.
That 3 pointer he hit at the end of the Pitt game was the perfect example.
The game was out of hand by that point, he knew he had to shoot and the consequences of his shot attempt were minimal.
Rose up, zero hesitation, and drilled it.
I full expect him to be a consistent shooter by his junior year.

Shooting is a great percentage mental. I know he shot the ball at Ames high at a decent clip. There is no doubt he’ll have more confidence with his shot in the years to come as a Cyclone.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
They had no buy games?

They lost a bunch of close games where they had a lead late, IIRC. But got blown out a handful of times also. That was the worst ISU team in a long long while. Probably a 11-12 win team with a full season.

Worst coaching job ever by a coach that year was a big reason. Cost money to get rid of him. Money well spent.