Excel Help

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
I love having a legitimate excuse to be on CF during work:yes:

So a coworker has an excel file on her hard drive as a master, and has copied it to a shared drive for others to see. She would like to be able to save her master file, and have the copied file update automatically. I remember doing this relatively simply before, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how I did it.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Set up the copy on the shared drive as a shortcut?

Issue with this may be others could "accidentally" edit the file, which it seems is not something she wants.

I have not done something like this. Sharepoint is a good way to do it (or another intranet).

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
She tried that, but other people couldn't open it.
Try and put the master file on the main server for people to see, but password protect either sheets or the entire workbook that are important. Then link the copy from her hard drive to the server. She'd just have to edit the file on the main server, but the one on her hard drive should automatically update.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
I'd like to turn this into an Excel Appreciation Thread. Does anyone else simply love all the wonderful things you can do with excel?? I use excel everyday for various tasks and I am still learning new things. Anyone else agree?

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
I'd like to turn this into an Excel Appreciation Thread. Does anyone else simply love all the wonderful things you can do with excel?? I use excel everyday for various tasks and I am still learning new things. Anyone else agree?

Normally I don't like thread hijacking. But, this one I can get on board with:yes:

JD720

Jan 3, 2009
I would save it to the shared drive, but password protect it so only she (or anyone else with the password) can modify it.

Click File, Save as, tools, general options, and put a password in the "Password to modify" box.

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
I only do really basic things with excel, but apprently that's more than those that test at the local Office Team. They told me I had the highest score from their location......

I finally learned what a macro is......

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire

I hate excel, and I can provide a spreadsheet with all the reasons why.:jimlad:

Last edited:
Reactions: cyrevkah

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Now, I'm making excel files for my Ann. Report progress and Summer camp issues! :GEEK:
Remember to make colorful charts and graphs, too. The more colors the better.
j/k