Eustacy discussion on DP show

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Totally agree here. Especially with the BVD statements. Bruce wanted out of Larry's contract, and found a way. Bruce wanted to pay less for a coach, and didn't care how he got to that point.

I don't know how much the contract/money had to do with it. IMO the real problem was LE's attitude and his relationship with BVDV. If the coach and AD would have had a better relationship, the AD could have gotten ahead of the story and LE would still be at ISU. Instead, BVDV was looking for an excuse to get rid of LE and LE gave it to him.

Reactions: CyGuy33

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I believe Larry never coached under the influence but I heard enough stories about his bar behavior that I do believe anyone that saw him in public in Ames knew he had a problem.

That's why I've never bought LE's alcoholism excuse. Sorry. He drank to loosen up his inhibitions around women.
I've worked around true alcoholics. None of them could hide it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Obviously LE did some great things at ISU, but how many times has ISU had two 1st round NBA draft picks in the same starting line-up?

True but Floyd found Fizer and no big program wanted to touch Tinsley when we found him. Neither were thought of as 1st rounders when they came to ISU. Also look at some of the role players he got a lot of production out of such as Nurse, Horton, Tyray Pearson, etc and even some of Floyd's left overs. Jake Sullivan is another guy we got a lot of mileage out of. That team that won the 2nd Big 12 Title without Fizer we got a lot out of Tinsley and a bunch of good role players. So much in fact they were burnt out at the end of the season and got upset in the last 2 games they played. Those teams were well coached and it showed on the floor because we have yet to see a team rebound and play great defense like those teams since LE left.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I see the two as being somewhat different. Although I like LE as a coach, I see what he did as worse then the affair that Pitino had. I don't want our coach out drinking with the coeds at other campuses.

are you freaking kidding me? He was drinking with college age adults. Cheating on one's wife is WAYYYY worse. LE was let go due to a conservative staff and enviornment that is Iowa State University. Should have never been let go.

Yeah, sorry, adultry.....being a hypocrite...(if you have read his books)...is 100 times worse than what LE did.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I couldn't agree more with your first paragraph - Pitino's act makes Larry look like a choirboy.
As for the second paragraph - all of LE's players and staff have gone on record as saying that they saw no hint of an alcohol problem with LE - that they never smelled alcohol on his breath, nor did he ever seem inebriated. Your info. indicating otherwise is news to me...

I worked with a guy who told me a story about a coworker before I got there. This coworker infrequently came to work smelling of alcohol, but no one ever reported it because he did a good job and never seemed drunk at work. When the guy eventually got fired, the people who worked with him still refused to admit to any knowledge of his alcohol use, both because they liked the guy and wanted his reputation to be as untarnished as possible, and because they felt guilty about not reporting the alcohol sooner.

I always took the party line from the players and coaches about his lack of alcohol-use-clues as being just that: a party line. Remember how popular Larry was with the students at the time. Hiawatha Rutland got famous in Ames because of supporting Larry.

I know a guy that served Larry a shot of Goldschlager as he left town to drive to the Big XII tourney that year. I know the guy who's job it was to clean up the home bench area after home games, and he says that the pop can almost always smelled of liquor.

As Travman said, if you had your eyes open in Ames, you knew Larry had a problem with the sauce. And Larry himself has admitted that he was a functional drunk, meaning that he had to drink to feel normal, to function. For me, I'd be more surprised to learn he never coached under the influence than if I found out he did.

That being said: I love Larry. I think he's the best coach we've ever had at ISU (and it is opinion, an opinion that I don't feel like derailing a thread over). I think that Will and Curtis had shown up in Ames with Larry instead of Wayne, they'd both be NBA stars and we'd have a banner in our rafters. I feel sorry for him that his addiction ruined the chance he had to live up to his potential. And I, for one, would welcome him back if the opportunity presented itself.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
Totally agree here. Especially with the BVD statements. Bruce wanted out of Larry's contract, and found a way. Bruce wanted to pay less for a coach, and didn't care how he got to that point.

I think if you replace Bruce with President Geoffrey you'd be right. I dont think BVD did much without orders. Just my opinion.

I really beileve the part of the University that didnt like LE couldnt wait to fire him after Pete died. Also, just my opinion.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
and LE would still be at ISU.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I remember listening to a radio interview after the Hampton "unpleasantness". LE was talking about how "they" (I assume meaning him and the other coaches) lost the team at the end of the Big 12 conference season. He never got the team back over the following two years. If he wasn't inebriated while coaching, then there had to be some other flaw that caused him to lose the team.

Quite frankly, I think LE's style of heavy verbal abuse becomes ineffective over time. This is true in any field. Subordinates just start to tune out the name calling and yelling. The very same thing appears to be happening at Southern Miss. From what I understand, he hasn't exactly changed his approach. Two losing seasons, a 20 win season, and back down to 15 wins in year 5.

Most players are loyal, and will not throw their coaches under the bus. That is admirable. But the results speak for themselves. LE's last 7 seasons have not been so hot.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
As Travman said, if you had your eyes open in Ames, you knew Larry had a problem with the sauce.

I think my "eyes" were open to Larry more than anyone on this board, frankly.

Larry was my neighbor, two houses down, when he lived here.

He was a great neighbor. Very friendly. I never saw him drunk...

Just sayin'.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

Just sayin'.

I've heard of stories of him drunk off his you know what harrassing waitresses and bartenders at Wallaby's as one of the stories and this is coming from someone that witnessed it one night. Again, that was not the only incident I've heard multiple people tell either here on this board or just in casual conversation. I do think around his team and around his family he had the decency to be sober but away from them was when the problems occured.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008

Just sayin'.

And I tended bar at a bar where Larry frequented. I watched him get sloppy drunk. I watched him drop shots over lunch.

I can count the number of times that I've been noticeably drunk at home before 2am on one hand. I'd bet that being his neighbor probably put you in a bit of a buffer zone.

Like I said, there were a lot of people who were totally unsurprised by the alcohol allegations.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I've heard of stories of him drunk off his you know what harrassing waitresses and bartenders at Wallaby's as one of the stories and this is coming from someone that witnessed it one night. Again, that was not the only incident I've heard multiple people tell either here on this board or just in casual conversation. I do think around his team and around his family he had the decency to be sober but away from them was when the problems occured.

I have heard the same stories, and witnessed one sad incident at Whiskey River with LE bothering my buddy's wife. I don't connect getting "drunk" sometimes in the evenings to being an alcoholic, however...
Again, though, I don't equate LE's boorishness with Pitino's disgusting act, or Eddie Sutton putting lives at risk with his drunk driving.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I see the two as being somewhat different. Although I like LE as a coach, I see what he did as worse then the affair that Pitino had. I don't want our coach out drinking with the coeds at other campuses.

WHAT!!!!!!! Pitno was having relations with this girl on a table in the resturant, granted it was closed at the time but his friend was sitting at the bar listening to them going at it. hopefully it was not a seafood restuarant. :wink:

Don't see how that is worse than having a few beers with some college kids. Mike and Mike were saying that didn't understand why LE was fired, he didn't break any laws and no one was impregnated.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
They've been discussing it on Mike & Mike as well, saying that the reason why Eustachy was fired was because he was drinking with students. I sent in an e-mail stating that it wasn't just because he was drinking with students, but because those students were from K-State and Missouri...

AND that he was on a team trip, returning from a game, when he very well should have been with the team, he was messing around drinking with co-eds....because he was afraid to fly, or something. Along with the drinking, it was insubordination.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Like I said, there were a lot of people who were totally unsurprised by the alcohol allegations.
I live far away from Ames and don't get hear interviews/postgame regularly. I did listen to LE on the post game show from time to time over Internet. There were several times when I seriously thought he was IWI (interviewing while intoxicated) during the post game shows. It wasn't slurred speech, but more akin to the "the circle" on That '70's Show. Just kind of whacky, very loose, and free flowing. Other times, he would give more "normal" interviews.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
It seems to me that the perfect storm came together to get Larry fired. A couple of subpar seasons, heavy drinking even at ISU events, the drinking photos, and the media and public outcry on the radio waves and internet about the photos. I think if you take away any of those things BVD may have put LE on a leave of absence to address his drinking problem. I also believe BVD took his orders from the prez when it came to the LE mess.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
One of the factors that also contributed to LE's firing was initially LE wasn't really forthcoming. I can't remember but I think that time he didn't admit that he was at fault. To certain degree, it must have ****** off the decision makers.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Just the simple fact that there were pictures of the LE event seems to add a dimension that the Pitino case doesnt.

puckwarrior

Aug 31, 2006
QC
Well, I may be wrong here, but I don't believe that LE was out drinking with legal aged adults as many of you are trying to claim. I agree that he had a drinking problem and should have been allowed to get help. But from what I have been told, he wouldn't admit to a drinking problem at the time and forced BVD into the firing by refusing to look at treatment. LE's drinking went on for years and there have unfortunately been numerous stories about his drinking problem. I have no first hand knowledge of any of this, however MY opinion is that someone with a known drinking problem that won't admit it is potentaily more harmful to ISU's reputation than someone that had a one night affair. No I don't condone the affair. But I still believe that a college coach should not be drinking with underage kids at a party.

C

Cyclone42

They've been discussing it on Mike & Mike as well, saying that the reason why Eustachy was fired was because he was drinking with students. I sent in an e-mail stating that it wasn't just because he was drinking with students, but because those students were from K-State and Missouri...

That was the angle I didn't like. He basically got drunk with fans of opposing teams, and I remember hearing at the time that he would insult and put down his own team with those opposing fans.

I was firmly in the "fire Eustachy" category at the time. I was probably wrong, in hindsight. He had just brought Morgan on board, and the combination of Morgan's recruiting and Eustachy's game-day coaching could have led us to great things. Oh, well.